Community
Wiki Posts
Search

**looking to dump my miles**

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Handy if he speaks Korean and wants to move there. One way to Korea to use up miles, then you wake up and you're in Seoul.
Airlines also sell one-way tickets for cash, so it would be feasible to book one leg with miles and pay for the other.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Probing just a bit on why you want to dump them, there are lots of ways to easily extend the expiration date of miles. Two easy ways are dining and shopping. With dining, register for the AA dining program, find a participating restaurant, and go buy something. A soda will do. I once extended miles on two programs at Burger King by buying coffee with one credit card and hash browns with the other. With shopping, log into the AA shopping portal and buy something at Walmart. A box of cookies. A few months ago I did just that to extend my miles on another airline. I forgot to pick up the cookies, the purchase was cancelled and my miles refunded, but they extended my miles anyway!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Handy if he speaks Korean and wants to move there. One way to Korea to use up miles, then you wake up and you're in Seoul.
There was movie about that. It was called "Seoul Plane", I think
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL
Originally Posted by merce42678
I have 81K miles I want to get rid of. What's the best way? Is there a forum here to sell?
I didn’t want to use the word sell so I used dump, I’m not gifting them
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Airlines also sell one-way tickets for cash, so it would be feasible to book one leg with miles and pay for the other.
But, if you do this on AA for an international trip, odds are a one way will cost more than a round trip from the US.
eponymous_coward likes this.

Last edited by mvoight; Dec 14, 2018 at 9:15 am
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP already has another thread expressing dissatisfaction with what amount to price increases for tickets he had wanted to purchase. Given the timing, it now appears that he wants to sell the miles.

As has already been explained to him, that is a violation of the terms he chose to agree to.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by merce42678
I’m not gifting them
No miles for you!

Attached Images  
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by mvoight
But, if you do this on AA for an international trip, odds are a one way will cost more than a round trip from the US.
r.
You don't have to take AA back, and there are some pretty good one-way premium economy deals from Seoul
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
Perhaps consider using for Hotel stays:

www.useaamiles.com
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's actually pretty easy. OP and AA entered a contract. That contract has terms and conditions which include not selling, bartering, or trading miles or other benefits.

That is why violating the contract is both a fraud and therefore unethical.

Another way to get this done is to use the miles OP has to purchase a one-way ticket and go rob a store for the cash to purchase the return.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA (US) gold, HH gold, Bonvoy gold
I have given orphan miles to Fisher House - https://www.fisherhouse.org/programs...-donate-miles/ - a great organization that support families of hospitalized troops and veterans. Maybe if some miles left over after giving a flight away this is something you might consider.

Just edited to note it was mentioned above - sorry - but it is a organization worth a second shout out.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts that violate the Rules have been deleted.

Supporting, encouraging or promoting illegal activity or fraud upon an individual or company is prohibited.
This thread has been useful. The OP has learned about the FlyerTalk community, members of our community have shared ways to use up miles. Pretty much what can be said has been said. Now the thread will rest.

Thank you,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.