Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Service analysts monitoring onboard service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Service analysts monitoring onboard service

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Tim_AZ
My favorite is when you see a flight attendant pop out of the galley just before landing that you didn’t even know was on the plane. Are they using crew for weight and balance now?
I feel compelled to clarify -- that flight attendant is most likely the galley position F/A. Their duties are specifically to set up the galley & prepare service items & have absolutely no business being in the aisle. There are dedicated aisle FA's for that. This is especially true for wide bodies. I often work the galley position on a 777 and there simply isn't much time, opportunity, or point, for the galley FA to be in the aisle during the service.
Spanish likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
To the flight attendants union, as just one more example of management's callous disregard of their right to be lazy.
Unequivocally you nailed the reason that the FAs and their union are upset, they actually in their souls believe they have some god given right to be lazy.

UA, in the '80s, had secret shoppers, also known as "ghost riders". One bad review and the FA was suspended for a month AND sent to retraining. 2nd bad review required a career change. The FA's HATED ghost riders, and it was always a topic of conversation in the galleys ("I think 2B is a ghost rider!") as they then performed a flawless service.
And that is why such a program is needed, and not just on AA or UA or even at airlines or unionized shops; regardless of job role, industry, union or not if you provide no oversight its a certainty you will end up with poor behavior from employees. Its just human nature, the % of people who will work their arse off regardless of that extra work providing an incentive or the lack thereof resulting in a punitive action is quite small and the people that are naturally inclined to perform tend to be in leadership. The fact that the FAs HATED it and it resulted in flawless service is all any sensible leader should need to know that its a great program.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Centurion
During the US Air days these people were not secret and flew up front
If I remember it correctly last decade at the time of the HP/US merger. HP had a "secret evaluator" system in place on random flights. Which is why HP flight attendants always seemed to do things by the book reagrding onboard service, whereas the US ones seemed to do things as they wanted.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Enjoy the bed you’ve made for yourself LAA crew that got into bed with US Airways. I actually like this though.

https://onemileatatime.com/why-american-airlines-flight-attendants-dont-like-doug-parker/

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I assume the issue with a secret shopper is that they would be taking away a revenue seat, particularly upfront. ...

As far as "training." Most of the issues have very little to do with training and more towards attitude. Really for a operational standpoint how hard is it to understand how to do a PDB in F/J? If newly hired FAs can't remember that's part of their duty when working F/J I'd say AA has a hiring quality issue. As noted this cuts across all job tenure lines. ...

Since there's no way to manage FAs onboard unless AA starts to pay for a crew lead FA (and that's not gonna happen) I think this issue won't go away. The FAs will simply do their duties onboard when the "service analyst" is present and go back to their old ways as soon as that person is gone.
IF I had been a UA "Ghost rider", I MIGHT have received a list of upcoming "Flight Assignments", based on existing booked travel.

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
And therein lies the main issue with this -- if you (as a company) want legitimate feedback and/or advice, you have to pay for it. This is AA's cheapness at work: it seems to be the result of someone at AA realizing "we need feedback" and focusing purely on the cost of obtaining data rather than the value of the data collected.
+1 Standard millennial, high end school, MBA thinking-Long on theory, short of both experience or common sense.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What would send FAs into a bigger tizzy than being evaluated by management? Being evaluated by anonymous flyers. 'They don't know our service standards.' 'Catering didn't stock it.' 'We were late boarding and didn't have time for PDBs.' The list of excuses would be endless.
Respectfully disagree. If one is doing 25, 50, 100, or more segments a year, one should also know whether lack of PDBs was due to catering issues or a discussion in the galley between 2 FAs, totally absorbed in their conversation during boarding.

Originally Posted by jAAck
Exactly. I have *never* understood the US legacy approach of not having a senior FA on board who is responsible for managing the crew and service. Non-legacy airlines do it. US FAs and the unions are vehemently against this, but in what other industry does an employee have literally no exposure to supervision? Even other industries with union labor have worker / crew supervisory positions.
Gee whiz, ya think?

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
that's probably how they concluded they had a problem...i.e. the secret part has been done and they're rolling out something to train/retrain

using the excuse that it's the junior people who didn't learn everything in training certainly is less threatening of a message to FA's then saying we're here to correct the oldsters, which is probably where the real problem is!

all they'd get is a bunch of forms with complaints demanding miles for compensation like we get on here LOL
(Sidebar)NONE of my small demographic has ever been asked their opinion. My DFW based Sunday golf group, 12-16 people, consisting of 2 CK, 8 EXP, 3 PlatPro, and 3 SWA-WE KNOW where the the problem is.

Originally Posted by anc305
As I have said on this site before , the FA's and their union reflect poorly on all unions. FA's believe they are " professionals " and want to be treated as such but some act like children. Most are fair at their job , but it ain't rocket science ! " Please don't ask me to do anything while I'm in the middle of Candy Crush " . Only way to lite a fire under the lazy butts , is to terminate a few. Might sound harsh but having been in unions , it needs to be done from time to time.
1,000,000%+ agree.

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
None of what FAs do with respect to the onboard service is mind bending. Really? How hard is to know things like if the Y seat number is tagged in blue paxs may have free alcoholic drinks. Or those on the manifest flying in Y listed as EXP/CK get free BOB. "Retraining" probably means the FA get to fly to a class in DFW and socialize with their friends while being told something they should know like the back of their hand to begin with.
AA Manglement-"We have addressed the issue, and blah, blah, blah.

Originally Posted by Fanjet
If I remember it correctly last decade at the time of the HP/US merger. HP had a "secret evaluator" system in place on random flights. Which is why HP flight attendants always seemed to do things by the book reagrding onboard service, whereas the US ones seemed to do things as they wanted.
Point made. Game, set, match.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Dec 14, 2018 at 9:21 am
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by lobo411
This phenomenon has been borne out by multiple studies. I have absolutely no doubt that pax rating FAs (even semi-pro "secret shoppers") would default to the same metrics. It's basic human nature to rate people based on nonsense.
If the shoppers were random members of the general public, sure -- see all the Flyertalk complaints about "cranky, old grandma" FAs (or compliments about "youthful, energetic" FAs). But trained evaluators running through a checklist of objective and binary criteria (was a PDB offered? full menu or water/juice? warm nuts? hot towel? etc) would catch the worst and most common service failures on AA, without getting into nonsense like whether the FA's smile was radiant enough on a scale of 1-10 or whatever.
TheDudeAbides and Spanish like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by lobo411
You'd be surprised. As a college professor, I'm very aware of the way that student evaluations work. The quality of the instruction provided is just about the LEAST important factor in student evals of professors. The most important factors?

Is the professor liked/likeable?

Is the professor regarded as an easy grader?

Is the professor, if male, authoritative? If female, is she attractive enough to be seen as hot by the male students but not so attractive as to be threatening to the female students?

Regardless of the above, deduct 20% to the class evals if the prof is female.

etc...

This phenomenon has been borne out by multiple studies. I have absolutely no doubt that pax rating FAs (even semi-pro "secret shoppers") would default to the same metrics. It's basic human nature to rate people based on nonsense. In other words, humans are horrible people.
Respectfully disagree.

In ACADEMIA, yes.

In the REAL WORLD, no.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro (2MM)
It seems to me that this might be part of a larger AA strategy. Fly these "observers" (or whatever you want to call them) plus what seems to be an uptick in passenger surveys. I've not had a flight with one of these analysts (at least that I know of) but I've been surveyed about all of my recent flights...not something that has happened to me in the past. Put that together and it does make me wonder if AA is using at least a couple of different tools to figure out what is going on across the fleet service-wise. I must say that the in-flight service I've received recently has been very good...hard product hasn't changed all that much with the exception of the newly added and exceptionally sub-par 737 MAX 8 cabins (I argue that these offer the worst seating experience in the AA fleet...probably to include the RJs). Maybe AA should take a look at what they're doing with their hard product in addition to whatever they're doing with these observers and surveys.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Be careful what you wish for.

Consistency may mean that everybody gets three ice cubes in their drink. But, it also means that if the service standard for a micro-haul is one drink, the FA who desn't make a fuss about a second, most certainly will say no going forward.

Many of AA's changes, including moving from native SABRE, limit the flexibility of front line employees.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Be careful what you wish for.

Consistency may mean that everybody gets three ice cubes in their drink. But, it also means that if the service standard for a micro-haul is one drink, the FA who desn't make a fuss about a second, most certainly will say no going forward.

Many of AA's changes, including moving from native SABRE, limit the flexibility of front line employees.
A reflection of Delta's motto in the Mullin years, now being addopted and applied at the speed of light by AA's "Monkey see, monkey do" manglement team:

NO WAIVERS, NO FAVORS, NO EXCEPTIONS! (Except CK)

Last edited by Dallas49er; Dec 15, 2018 at 9:41 am
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Kind of fits with the unusual and unexpected emailed survey I received after a round trip last weekend.

Asked perfunctory opening questions about multiple aspects of the flight, but quickly narrowed and clearly focused on nebulous soft-skills of the FA's, AAngels, and GA's. (Things like eye contact, smiling and facial expression, name use, and formality). Beyond basic professionalism, reasonable efficiency, and common courtesy I really would not notice and would not expect Stepford conformity. I've never worked for an airline, all my AA and US cabin crew acquaintances have retired, but the survey was still so autocratic it went all over me.

But as noted above, the FA union was seduced over a few dollars and only too happy to throw old management into the engine.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by anc305
As I have said on this site before , the FA's and their union reflect poorly on all unions. FA's believe they are " professionals " and want to be treated as such but some act like children. Most are fair at their job , but it ain't rocket science ! " Please don't ask me to do anything while I'm in the middle of Candy Crush " . Only way to lite a fire under the lazy butts , is to terminate a few. Might sound harsh but having been in unions , it needs to be done from time to time.
+1

AA manglement needs to, if they were TRULY serious about "customer service in-flight" (doubtful at best), and grow a pair vis a vis unions. And if they thought there truly was a problem, they could:

1. Cull- https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cull

or

2. Pour encourager les autres- https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...20les%20autres

Take your pick.

With "UA Ghost riders", the s*** FAs tended to self-cull through performance (or lack thereof).

(Sarcasm on) And there is probably something in the union contract that prohibits #2 (execution). (Sarcasm off)

Last edited by Dallas49er; Dec 15, 2018 at 2:33 pm
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:15 pm

Some of us are looking forward to having them on board, as long as they don't get in the way of my stellar service!
jAAck and AANYC1981 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.