Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to do an international booking with an open jaw & open return?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to do an international booking with an open jaw & open return?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:22 am
Original Poster

LCC pretty much out of the question as i'm effectively moving house with these flights, need my OW emerald 3 x 32kgs allowances. Will probably need to buy extra even.

Even normally I take a lot of stuff as I usually am diving technically and need at least 3 x 23s or 2 x 32s, depending on exact config. Base config, is 1 x 30 with an overweight carryon. Adding rebreather, camera, drysuit, scooter, video lights...it gets out of hand!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by s115
Ah thanks, confused the open return and open jaw.
So usually valid from 12 months from date of ISSUE. Any way to extend that out, or change the inbound to further out that 12 months?
many tickets are valid to allow return for 12 months from date of departure - I am not aware of any fares that will permit > 12 months

You may not need an open return ; if you book a fare with no change fee, you can book a date and just change when you know what date you want
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Seems that way, so on AA if booked in Y and W, how do I figure out what the future change fees will be?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Seems that way, so on AA if booked in Y and W, how do I figure out what the future change fees will be?
I would suggest phoning and booking. That way it is easy to check max stay and change fee deta
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HiAperture
No way to do what you are saying, book a round trip but only tell the airline when and where you want to go on one leg, you will have to tell them both legs at the same time. You will have to look at the fare rules for your trip, usually 6 months is the max. You can always just pick something random and far out in dates, then pay to change the second leg later, but there will be change fees and fare differences at that time.
FWIW, in general there is no fare difference collected if you’re just changing the return, assuming the same booking inventory/class is available.Techincally the ticket gets repriced using the historical fares at the time of original booking. (Which means no change if you’re in the same booking class). This is spelled out in the detailed fare rules, I think usually under either Penalties or Voluntary Changes.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I need to fly weat coast usa to syd end oct 2019. But then would probably be coming back for canadian summer july 2019.
Good luck with that!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA, DL, TK
I am an Australian citizen, so no issue there.
I need to fly weat coast usa to syd end oct 2019. But then would probably be coming back for canadian summer july 2019. So my options look to be wait until end july to book return, in a higher fare class or points, or ditch a return ticket. Not considering award bookings as im trying to gain lifetime status, but stance my change.
thanks for the replies
I'm assuming your return is in July 2020, thus still less than 12 months from the first leg. Although I haven't (yet) investigated the fares, if you are willing to make an additional stop in (say) HKG, you may be able to use the OneWorld Circle Pacific option. You only need to book the first leg, then complete the circle within 12 months; https://www.oneworld.com/flights/mul...circle-pacific.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks, seems the benefit is the open fare.
down side is the 1450 upgrade for y plus, based of qf fare

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.