Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Just short of retaining American Airlines gold (To merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:21 am
RBN
Original Poster

Programs: American, Marriott,Hyatt, Delta,Hilton, United

I am 200 miles short of retaining status. I was suppose to travel this weekend but had to cancel due to weather in and out of Charlotte. I have been gold or in many years Chairman and wondered if I called and explained they would keep my status or do I need to find a miles run flight or pay the $500 they sent me an invite in November to retain my status. Thanks.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by RBN
I am 200 miles short of retaining status. I was suppose to travel this weekend but had to cancel due to weather in and out of Charlotte. I have been gold or in many years Chairman and wondered if I called and explained they would keep my status or do I need to find a miles run flight or pay the $500 they sent me an invite in November to retain my status. Thanks.
Virtually no chance they will just comp your status, I would look at taking a quick MR somewhere or just spend the $500 on the status retention offer. I'd also ask yourself whether the benefits of Gold are worth $500 before you do it...
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There must be a flight that gets you 200 miles for much less than $500.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sometimes you will receive an offer from AA to buy up or retain status. It is usually a bad deal financially, but does avoid taking an unwanted trip.

If you choose to fly, simply find the cheapest ticket available and fly that. Or take a trip to some place you want to go, have lunch or dinner and return.

But, close to zero chance that AA comps you as it would make little sense to do so in the face of selling those buy ups.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:57 am
RBN
Original Poster

Programs: American, Marriott,Hyatt, Delta,Hilton, United
Thanks I was also weighing if it is worth it or not.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by RBN
Did you cancel the trip or did AA cancel the trip? If AA cancelled it, you should have the value of that ticket to play with.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RBN
Have you already met your EQD spend on AA?
200 miles is nothing but a short even same day return.. Florida seems nice at this time.
As to "weighing " the option, that is up to you, do you plan to travel a little on AA next year? do the benefits help you/
(this are things you and only you can decide )

Welcome to FT
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by RBN
Now that they have monetized status, there’s virtually no chance you’ll have Gild status next year unless you 1) find and fly a flight in the remaining days of December that fulfills the requirements to renew, or 2) pay the fee AA asks of you to retain status.

America West CEO Parker doesn’t care how many years you’ve flown American Airlines.

Good luck.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by JDiver
Now that they have monetized status, there’s virtually no chance you’ll have Gild status next year unless you 1) find and fly a flight in the remaining days of December that fulfills the requirements to renew, or 2) pay the fee AA asks of you to retain status.

America West CEO Parker doesn’t care how many years you’ve flown American Airlines.

Good luck.
I do think AA made a mistake in doing away with soft landings albeit maybe using it more selective. For example a 20 year in a row EXP might have had an illness or family situation that prevented them traveling extensively for a good part of a year. Rather than dump them down to PLT (which is where likely they would be from LT miles) possibly down to PP for the next year.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
[Deleted. Misread the original post.]
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
If you are already gold, then min EQM applies (avoid B fares) so even if you flew a single mile you would re-qualify as you would get credit for 500 miles. You could take a short puddle jump and a one way car rental back home to keep the costs down (here I would do a SAN-LAX and then drive the 100 miles or so back home with AVIS)
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:59 pm

EQDS

I’m in a similar situation.. ... I need to get 920 EQDs to keep my platinum status on American - and have to do this by 15 Jan 2019.. can anyone suggest a flight which I can do this? Don’t care where just have to qualify for the EQD’s? Any other suggestions greatly appreciated. I’m departing from YYZ.

Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Robert Croghan
I’m in a similar situation.. ... I need to get 920 EQDs to keep my platinum status on American - and have to do this by 15 Jan 2019.. can anyone suggest a flight which I can do this? Don’t care where just have to qualify for the EQD’s? Any other suggestions greatly appreciated. I’m departing from YYZ.

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Are you sure you need to earn $920 EQD by 15 Jan 2019 to maintain your Platinum status? Because AA status is based on what you earn during a calendar year, 1 Jan - 31 Dec. I think you need to earn by the end of this year, unless there’s some unusual circumstance I’ve not seen before.

In any case, use Google Flights from YYZ, don’t fill in the destination and do indicate you need oneworld. And see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html for ideas.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
USE WITH CAUTION - PASSPORT PREMIERE

Last year my son was short to requal for AA Gold - rather than take AA up on their expensive offer to buy up to maintain status, he took advantage of a promo offer from Passport Premiere - which included, inter alia, Gold Status.

It worked for him. Please don't take this mention as an endorsement, nor a criticism, of these folks.

They sent me a few minutes ago another invite including:

"ONE WORLD ELITE STATUS remains in effect for all new subscriptions received on BLACK FRIDAY through November 24th, 2018 or while supplies last."

You may want to call 'em to confirm if this offer of status is still available. Suggest use a credit card for purchase so you'll have some recourse if don't find Gold (status). My son had to call once or twice to actually get his Gold status - think it was a glitch rather than something evil.

Their main business is tracking fares to find cheap business class seats but I have no experience with this part of their program.

SUMMARY: There may be another way to get AA gold status - am mentioning that it's there, but pursue at your own risk!

Happy travels
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RBN
There is no way on earth that I'd pay $500 for Gold status (excepting of course, actual planned travel)

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.