Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (2019 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Which Boeing 777-200ER will I have?

AA has a fleet of 47 Boeing 777-223ER aircraft configured with 37 Business, 24 Premium Economy and 212 Main Cabin seats, including 66 Main Cabin Extra (including exit rows) seats. With the mixed 19 Zodiac vs 28 Super Diamond 772 fleet, Business travelers will be at risk of an aircraft substitution from one to the other, though apparently Dispatch prefers keeping the same subtype on certain routes; in cases of OSO, etc. one type may be substituted for another, even without notice (some FT members have reported such).

Link to list of airframes by registration number and configuration in (unofficial) AA fleet pages.

NOTE: it has been reported aa.com seat charts will usually show “no notches”, IMO, Super Diamond seats, until 48 hours from departure time. At that time, Zodiac equipped aircraft seat charts will display notches on aft-facing seats.

110 VAC universal plug and 5 VDC USB
Panasonic International satellite based WiFi (fee)
ExTV IFE for every seat

Business cabin notes
Version 1
19 aircraft are fitted with 37 Zodiac Concept D Business Suite in yin-yang configuration (the inoperable privacy divider and induced motion from seats “tied at the head” aka “Motion over the ocean” are supposed to be remediate by AA)

Version 2
28 aircraft are fitted with 37 B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business suites in an angled forward facing reverse herringbone configuration

Premium Economy notes
24 AA Rockwell Collins MiQ Premium Economy seats (only bulkhead Seats have legrests) in a 2-4-2 configuration

Main Cabin Extra notes
66 Main Cabin Extra economy seats with extended seat pitch / leg room in a 3-4-3 configuration

Main Cabin notes
148 Main Cabin economy seats with standard 31-32” seat pitch in a 3-4-3 configuration

Why two configurations?
All 47 772s were all to have been configured with 45 Zodiac Concept D Business Suites in a yin-yang configuration, some with C45, most with C37. The same seat was to be installed in AA Boeing 787-8 and -9 aircraft.

The C45 decision was made before the reverse takeover of AA by US. The decision was changed to go to a C37 772 aircraft across the board, and that the 13 772s with C45 would be reconfigured to C37.

Zodiac was unable to manufacture the seat in sufficient quantity to satisfy their contract with AA. The 772 refit was stalled, and some early 787-8s sat on the ground seatless. AA was upset at deriving no revenue from them but having to pay for the idled aircraft.

AA sued and terminated the contract with Zodiac, and let the seats contract for remaining seats to B/E Aerospace (purchased in 2017 by Rockwell Collins).

AA also decided to refit 772s and 788s with Premium Economy as well as to standardize the Zodiac subfleet to C37. The last two C45 Zodiac 772s were in the shop at KPAE getting refitted to C37 and PE as of early December 2018.

Related threads
Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Super Diamond seat
Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business
Boeing 777-200ER / 777 Best Premium Economy
Best Economy Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac Main Cabin & Extra / MCE
Best Economy Seat 777-200 “777" C37 Super Diamond Economy / Main Cabin & Extra MCE
Print Wikipost

Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (2019 on)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
SeatGuru is way wrong. The 2-3-2 doesn't exist anymore.
would be nice if US based website could at least catch up with the seat maps for US big 3.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Seat Guru no longer lists the 772 with the NGBC seat, nor have they for a while now. The poster above is referring to the Zodiac rear/forward configuration that JDiver mentioned, it seems.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Am..._777-200_B.php
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
All have 35 J seats, all aisle access, lie flat beds.
37 J seats, actually. I know that was an innocent mistake.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I'm not seeing a thread discussing Y seating on these, so I thought I'd try here. I'm heading JFK-LHR in May on AA142 (777-200). The seat map is showing Y starting at row 17 with MCE, and also is showing MCE in rows 26-28. Row 26 is an exit row, and I grabbed one of those. I don't really care about the window or the lavatories being nearby as I won't be sleeping on the daytime flight. I'm more concerned about the leg room and I love the idea of people not having to climb over me, or me having to climb over other people to get in/out of the seat. Is SeatGuru correct about the leg room here? Are C/J better than A/L for any reason? I know sometimes the door sticks in and takes away some of the leg room on the "window" side, but I'm not sure if that's the case here.

Thanks.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
I'm not seeing a thread discussing Y seating on these, so I thought I'd try here. I'm heading JFK-LHR in May on AA142 (777-200). The seat map is showing Y starting at row 17 with MCE, and also is showing MCE in rows 26-28. Row 26 is an exit row, and I grabbed one of those. I don't really care about the window or the lavatories being nearby as I won't be sleeping on the daytime flight. I'm more concerned about the leg room and I love the idea of people not having to climb over me, or me having to climb over other people to get in/out of the seat. Is SeatGuru correct about the leg room here? Are C/J better than A/L for any reason? I know sometimes the door sticks in and takes away some of the leg room on the "window" side, but I'm not sure if that's the case here.

Thanks.
it does take up some legroom. Door protrudes a little into your space. Google Aa 777-200 exit row and look at the pics. TPg has an article with Y pics and description. I’m not able to attach a photo from my phone
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp

Thanks.
Here's the thread you're looking for on economy 772 seating. There's a link to a TPG article a few posts in, while TPG is usually garbage there is a decent pic of row 26.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...tra-mce-2.html
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by gateH15

it does take up some legroom. Door protrudes a little into your space. Google Aa 777-200 exit row and look at the pics. TPg has an article with Y pics and description. I’m not able to attach a photo from my phone
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Here's the thread you're looking for on economy 772 seating. There's a link to a TPG article a few posts in, while TPG is usually garbage there is a decent pic of row 26.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...tra-mce-2.html
Thank you both. I'll take my follow-up to the other thread.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by econometrics
Seat Guru no longer lists the 772 with the NGBC seat, nor have they for a while now. The poster above is referring to the Zodiac rear/forward configuration that JDiver mentioned, it seems.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Am..._777-200_B.php
Whilst this appears to be true, seatguru has a capability to link you to the seat map for your flight (rather than your guess at the plane model) – this is what he OP had done and if you put in his flight info for BCN-MIA then you do indeed get he old NGBC angled seat map, even though you couldn't find it yourself on seatguru at all.

Makes seatguru even more unreliable than it already was.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
We had a very interesting dilemma recently on AA123 DFW-HNL. The flight was listed as using a 772 so I grabbed 2A for my 12yos, 2D for wife, and 2H for myself. When we boarded though we were surprised to find out 1A had been pushed back to row 2, 2A to row 3, so on. Obviously this had an effect on us not being next to our son so we waited to see if anyone was going to take 1A so we could ask them to switch.

When no no one showed up, we asked the FA if my son could sit next to us and we were told no, because 1A was reserved for flight crew. This obviously made my wife uncomfortable so the whole flight we had to get up and walk over to check on our son. We didn’t complain, it happens, but I was surprised that this wasn’t properly explained when we selected our seats and didn’t see any comments in SeatGuru either. One thing I did notice was that the night before our plane had come from Tulsa, which I thought it was weird unless it was some sort of retrofit or maintenance.

As we head back later in the week, I’m now worried that seating in 8D, 8H, 8L will mean that we’re not going to be together again. Anyone seen this before?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by living near shamu
We had a very interesting dilemma recently on AA123 DFW-HNL. The flight was listed as using a 772 so I grabbed 2A for my 12yos, 2D for wife, and 2H for myself. When we boarded though we were surprised to find out 1A had been pushed back to row 2, 2A to row 3, so on. Obviously this had an effect on us not being next to our son so we waited to see if anyone was going to take 1A so we could ask them to switch.

When no no one showed up, we asked the FA if my son could sit next to us and we were told no, because 1A was reserved for flight crew. This obviously made my wife uncomfortable so the whole flight we had to get up and walk over to check on our son. We didn’t complain, it happens, but I was surprised that this wasn’t properly explained when we selected our seats and didn’t see any comments in SeatGuru either. One thing I did notice was that the night before our plane had come from Tulsa, which I thought it was weird unless it was some sort of retrofit or maintenance.

As we head back later in the week, I’m now worried that seating in 8D, 8H, 8L will mean that we’re not going to be together again. Anyone seen this before?
Yeah, Seat Guru does not show the alignment of the forward biz cabin correctly. As you found out, the A side of the cabin is behind the center section almost a full seat spacing, and the L side is behind about a 1/2 seat spacing. Sorry you had to experience this to know it.

It had nothing to do with the plane coming from TUL. All the 777-200s have been refitted for over a year now. It was likely in TUL for some routine checks.

Rows 7-10 are all directly aligned with one another, so you will not have the issue you had on the flight to HNL by sitting here. ^
living near shamu likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:29 pm

Has anyone figured out how to know more than 48 hours in advance what type of business class seat you are buying on an AA 777-200 (i.e. Zodiac or Super Diamond)?I don't want to buy seats unless I know I am buying Super Diamond or I'll just move on and chose another airline. Looking at HNL-DFW or OGG-DFW.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by SmokeDaMeat
Has anyone figured out how to know more than 48 hours in advance what type of business class seat you are buying on an AA 777-200 (i.e. Zodiac or Super Diamond)?I don't want to buy seats unless I know I am buying Super Diamond or I'll just move on and chose another airline. Looking at HNL-DFW or OGG-DFW.
no one knows. Even AA doesn’t know until few days before . Zodiac away is not bad compare to what DL or UA flies to Hawaii.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:47 pm

no one knows. Even AA doesn’t know until few days before . Zodiac away is not bad compare to what DL or UA flies to Hawaii.
Thanks for the quick reply. It seems to me that AA is clearly burying their poorly reviewed Zodiac seats by moving their planes around and not updating their seat maps on their website so they can sell those seats to unsuspecting customers.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by SmokeDaMeat
Thanks for the quick reply. It seems to me that AA is clearly burying their poorly reviewed Zodiac seats by moving their planes around and not updating their seat maps on their website so they can sell those seats to unsuspecting customers.
I’m not sure AA does that on purpose. Aircraft swaps are common for all airlines and it can happen last minute. Just select your seat as if it was zodiac - pick one that is not connected to the other seat.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:36 pm

I’m not sure AA does that on purpose. Aircraft swaps are common for all airlines and it can happen last minute. Just select your seat as if it was zodiac - pick one that is not connected to the other seat.
Unfortunately it's not that simple. Only 5 out of the 37 business class seats are not "rockers" (connected to another seat). Again, I don't know any airline that would sell a business class seat that is rear-facing without making that clear during the reservation process and seat selection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.