Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (2019 on)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Which Boeing 777-200ER will I have?

AA has a fleet of 47 Boeing 777-223ER aircraft configured with 37 Business, 24 Premium Economy and 212 Main Cabin seats, including 66 Main Cabin Extra (including exit rows) seats. With the mixed 19 Zodiac vs 28 Super Diamond 772 fleet, Business travelers will be at risk of an aircraft substitution from one to the other, though apparently Dispatch prefers keeping the same subtype on certain routes; in cases of OSO, etc. one type may be substituted for another, even without notice (some FT members have reported such).

Link to list of airframes by registration number and configuration in (unofficial) AA fleet pages.

NOTE: it has been reported aa.com seat charts will usually show “no notches”, IMO, Super Diamond seats, until 48 hours from departure time. At that time, Zodiac equipped aircraft seat charts will display notches on aft-facing seats.

110 VAC universal plug and 5 VDC USB
Panasonic International satellite based WiFi (fee)
ExTV IFE for every seat

Business cabin notes
Version 1
19 aircraft are fitted with 37 Zodiac Concept D Business Suite in yin-yang configuration (the inoperable privacy divider and induced motion from seats “tied at the head” aka “Motion over the ocean” are supposed to be remediate by AA)

Version 2
28 aircraft are fitted with 37 B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business suites in an angled forward facing reverse herringbone configuration

Premium Economy notes
24 AA Rockwell Collins MiQ Premium Economy seats (only bulkhead Seats have legrests) in a 2-4-2 configuration

Main Cabin Extra notes
66 Main Cabin Extra economy seats with extended seat pitch / leg room in a 3-4-3 configuration

Main Cabin notes
148 Main Cabin economy seats with standard 31-32” seat pitch in a 3-4-3 configuration

Why two configurations?
All 47 772s were all to have been configured with 45 Zodiac Concept D Business Suites in a yin-yang configuration, some with C45, most with C37. The same seat was to be installed in AA Boeing 787-8 and -9 aircraft.

The C45 decision was made before the reverse takeover of AA by US. The decision was changed to go to a C37 772 aircraft across the board, and that the 13 772s with C45 would be reconfigured to C37.

Zodiac was unable to manufacture the seat in sufficient quantity to satisfy their contract with AA. The 772 refit was stalled, and some early 787-8s sat on the ground seatless. AA was upset at deriving no revenue from them but having to pay for the idled aircraft.

AA sued and terminated the contract with Zodiac, and let the seats contract for remaining seats to B/E Aerospace (purchased in 2017 by Rockwell Collins).

AA also decided to refit 772s and 788s with Premium Economy as well as to standardize the Zodiac subfleet to C37. The last two C45 Zodiac 772s were in the shop at KPAE getting refitted to C37 and PE as of early December 2018.

Related threads
Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Super Diamond seat
Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business
Boeing 777-200ER / 777 Best Premium Economy
Best Economy Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac Main Cabin & Extra / MCE
Best Economy Seat 777-200 “777" C37 Super Diamond Economy / Main Cabin & Extra MCE
Print Wikipost

Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (2019 on)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Arrow Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (2019 on)

NOTE: Which Business seats a particular aircraft has is somewhat opaque on aa.com’s seat charts.

The B/E Aerospace Super Diamond aircraft are configured in a angled forward reverse herringbone, all seats face forward at an angle. SeatGuru “version 2” 777 chart below.

On aa.com, if the available (blue) seats have NO notch in the front on any seat (are perfectly square, as they all face forward at an angle), it’s a B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Solo equipped aircraft.

The Zodiac Concept D Businesses Suite aircraft are configured yin-yang with forward and aft facing seats. AA shows aft-facing seats as having notches. SeatGuru “version 1” seat chart here. (NOTE: This is a modified chart that reflects show PE, as the current SeatGuru chart reflects the defunct Zodiac C45, W0.)

On aa.com, if the available (blue) seats have a notch in the front signifying aft (backward) facing seats, it’s a Zodiac “Concept D” Business Suite equipped aircraft.

Sequentially below:

Super Diamond C37 Business cabin

Super Diamond C37 depicted on aa.com (no notches)

Zodiac C37 Business cabin

Zodiac C37 depicted on aa.com - notched seats face aft

NOTE: Zodiac 45 J Business cabin have all been refitted to C37 + PE

Thanks to econometrics for keeping us up to date on the refut dates and airframes, and to fedechat for documenting the end of this refit:

Originally Posted by fedechat
There is no more High 45J 772 in service, N795N is leaving PAE this afternoon and the last one (N759AN) arrived 2 days ago at PAE from TUL, it will be done by next week for sure.
Attached Images      

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 11, 2018 at 3:59 pm
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Boeing 777-223ER in new color scheme, c/o Juergen’s Paint Hangar.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 11, 2018 at 5:25 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
Which 777-200ER / 772? Change of aircraft (777-200). Should I be happy?

Hi there, My flight this coming Friday night has just been changed from a 777 200 with 12 rows of business to a version with 10 rows. It seems the new version is all forward facing seating. I happy with the actual seat location as it's in the same part of the cabin (row 3), but should I be happy about the actual aircraft? Are these variants of the 777 200 any better or worse than what I have been expecting? I have never flown on AA metal so thanks for any insight.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
Hi there, My flight this coming Friday night has just been changed from a 777 200 with 12 rows of business to a version with 10 rows. It seems the new version is all forward facing seating. I happy with the actual seat location as it's in the same part of the cabin (row 3), but should I be happy about the actual aircraft? Are these variants of the 777 200 any better or worse than what I have been expecting? I have never flown on AA metal so thanks for any insight.
Well not much difference between each variant. As far as happy? Its all relative. I'd be much, much happier sitting in J, PE or even MCE over Y.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Not if you had been booked in row 12....
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
IMO the all forward seats are better than the forward back ones. YMMV
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:58 am
Original Poster

IME, good news for you. You have been changed to one of the 28 772s with C37 B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business suites from a no longer flying in that configuration C45 Zodiac Concept D Business Suite in yin-yang configuration, which due to inoperable privacy divider and induced motion from seats “tied at the head” (“Motion over the ocean”) is often considered the less desirable of the 772.

See the Wikipost at the top of the page for the details.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 10, 2018 at 2:26 pm Reason: Edit after relocating information to Wikipost
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
If anyone is on a 772 in the near future, check your seat maps! When I booked MXP-JFK for this week, it was the old seat map with no premium economy. The plane has now switched to the new one with PE, but seats are now being sold as PE, they are not just MCE like my JFK-LHR last week. Also, was booked in the front business cabin for the return and was moved to the back, so beware!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kjm12898
If anyone is on a 772 in the near future, check your seat maps! When I booked MXP-JFK for this week, it was the old seat map with no premium economy. The plane has now switched to the new one with PE, but seats are now being sold as PE, they are not just MCE like my JFK-LHR last week. Also, was booked in the front business cabin for the return and was moved to the back, so beware!
I’ve experienced aircraft substitutions from Super Diamond to Zodiac, and AA didn’t handle that well. Equipment changes should be checked going forward.

In particular, anyone who booked a Zodiac C45 configured aircraft should ASAP look at their PNR and select a seat they might not get dumped out of because it’s non-existent with the refit to all C37 business cabins.
teemuflyer likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JDiver
IME, good news for you. You have been changed to one of the 28 772s with C37 B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business suites from a no longer flying in that configuration C45 Zodiac Concept D Business Suite in yin-yang configuration, which due to inoperable privacy divider and induced motion from seats “tied at the head” (“Motion over the ocean”) is often considered the less desirable of the 772.
The swap from 45J to 37J does not necessarily guarantee Super Diamond seats...there have always been 772s with 37 Concept D seats (originally it was 6 out of the 34 frames with 37J, leaving 28 out of 34 with Super Diamond). I recently saw a report (can't remember the exact source) that all active 772s are now configured with 37J and PE, with the final two 45J aircraft in retrofit. This means that 17 of the 45 active 772s have the Concept D seats; soon to be 19 out of 47 once the final two aircraft have completed their retrofit.

In other words:
13 out of 47 came with 45 Concept D seats; these have been retrofitted to reduce the number of J seats by 8 and add PE.
6 out of 47 came with 37 Concept D seats.
28 out of 47 came with 37 Super Diamond seats.

Seat type hasn't changed with any of the retrofits. There is now one standard configuration for all 772s in terms of seating numbers but not the type of J seat, and it won't be known which J seat you will get until ~48h before departure. At that point, if your flight has been assigned an aircraft with Concept D seats, your seatmap will be updated to show little notches in the backward facing seats.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dkc192
The swap from 45J to 37J does not necessarily guarantee Super Diamond seats...there have always been 772s with 37 Concept D seats (originally it was 6 out of the 34 frames with 37J, leaving 28 out of 34 with Super Diamond). I recently saw a report (can't remember the exact source) that all active 772s are now configured with 37J and PE, with the final two 45J aircraft in retrofit. This means that 17 of the 45 active 772s have the Concept D seats; soon to be 19 out of 47 once the final two aircraft have completed their retrofit.

In other words:
13 out of 47 came with 45 Concept D seats; these have been retrofitted to reduce the number of J seats by 8 and add PE.
6 out of 47 came with 37 Concept D seats.
28 out of 47 came with 37 Super Diamond seats.

Seat type hasn't changed with any of the retrofits. There is now one standard configuration for all 772s in terms of seating numbers but not the type of J seat, and it won't be known which J seat you will get until ~48h before departure. At that point, if your flight has been assigned an aircraft with Concept D seats, your seatmap will be updated to show little notches in the backward facing seats.
Im unsure of what you’re getting at.

The Wikipost is pretty clear that there are 19 C37 Zodiac 777-200ERs and 28 C37 Super Diamond 777-200ERs in the fleet as currently configured. Though Dispatch prefers assigning certain aircraft types to specific routes, among the 777 / 772 fleet equipment substitutions can happen anytime. (I’ve experienced this at least once, a 777 Super Diamond swapped out the same day for a Zodiac model.)

As for my reply to BrianWBrazil, it’s pretty obvious his aircraft was substituted with a Super Diamond aircraft.

Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JDiver
Im unsure of what you’re getting at.

The Wikipost is pretty clear that there are 19 C37 Zodiac 777-200ERs and 28 C37 Super Diamond 777-200ERs in the fleet as currently configured. Though Dispatch prefers assigning certain aircraft types to specific routes, among the 777 / 772 fleet equipment substitutions can happen anytime. (I’ve experienced this at least once, a 777 Super Diamond swapped out the same day for a Zodiac model.)

As for my reply to BrianWBrazil, it’s pretty obvious his aircraft was substituted with a Super Diamond aircraft.
Ah, misread OP's post. Glad we're on the same page.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dkc192
Ah, misread OP's post. Glad we're on the same page.
I can do that, too, and I’m happy when a member takes the time to correct me.

May all your 772s be equipped with Super Diamonds.

(I think we’ll have the same problem with the 787-8. 20 delivered with Zodiacs, 22 more on order starting 2020 - I suspect with Super Diamonds.)
MorganB and GManko like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:41 pm
Suspended

I've read the wiki and the first couple of posts, but there's one thing that I can't figure out: If I know the aircraft registration number, how can I tell which type J class seat will be on the flight?

(Apologies if I've missed something very basic in the wiki or previous posts. Preparing to put on the dunce cap and go sit in the corner...)

Last edited by GFrye; Dec 13, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by GFrye
I've read the wiki and the first couple of posts, but there's one thing that I can't figure out: If I know the aircraft registration number, how can I tell which type J class seat will be on the flight?

(Apologies if I've missed something very basic in the wiki or previous posts. Preparing to put on the dunce cap and go sit in the corner...)
If you look at the AA fleet site, you can match the registration number to type of business seat...

https://sites.google.com/site/newame...eing-777-200er
JDiver and GFrye like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.