Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Just moved to London: AA versus BA versus United

Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Having lived in San Francisco and traveling frequently to Denver, Fort Lauderdale and New York, I've been a 1K on United for several years. However, we just move to London and because United doesn't fly from London to Fort Lauderdale and only flies between London and Denver in the summer time, I'm rethinking where my loyalty should lie. I travel to Denver monthly and Fort Lauderdale every six weeks. BA (and AA code share) fly nonstop. UA requires a stop over.

However, it's really hard to give up the benefits of 1K (flight changes without fees, upgrades to business class, use of the United Club). I'm a lifetime AA Gold, but it really is BA who has the nonstop flights I'll use (as well as nonstop flights to other locations in Europe). Any thoughts on making the change? Would I be better as an AAdvantage frequent flier or BA Executive Club member? Do either do status matches or do I really need to start from square one.

Thanks.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by mvogel
Having lived in San Francisco and traveling frequently to Denver, Fort Lauderdale and New York, I've been a 1K on United for several years. However, we just move to London and because United doesn't fly from London to Fort Lauderdale and only flies between London and Denver in the summer time, I'm rethinking where my loyalty should lie. I travel to Denver monthly and Fort Lauderdale every six weeks. BA (and AA code share) fly nonstop. UA requires a stop over.

However, it's really hard to give up the benefits of 1K (flight changes without fees, upgrades to business class, use of the United Club). I'm a lifetime AA Gold, but it really is BA who has the nonstop flights I'll use (as well as nonstop flights to other locations in Europe). Any thoughts on making the change? Would I be better as an AAdvantage frequent flier or BA Executive Club member? Do either do status matches or do I really need to start from square one.

Thanks.
You will get better benefits as OWE.
I would go with BA program because it doesn’t have revenue requirement yet.
Also with AA or BA status you will be able to access Flagship lounges when flying in Y.

AA does status match and I think it’s published on aa.com
For BA status match you have to call and ask I believe.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
As an individual who moved from US to UK and back to US I would stay both have advantages and disadvantages for both programs but just couple questions:
Questions:
1. What do you value most in a program - upgrades, lounge access or others?
2. For your DEN and FLL what class you would fly Y or J?

It seems like for your travel plans (monthly to Denver (4,656 miles & 35 TP for Y and 140 for J from LHR - DEN) and once every six weeks to FL (4,395 miles & 35 TP for Y and 140 for J from LHR to FLL), you will average for those two data points:
Flight Miles: 111,744 (LHR - DEN alone) + 70,320 (LHR - FLL) so circa 180k if all flown in Economy and circa 270k in business
Tier Points: 840 TP (LHR - DEN) on Y and 560 TP (LHR - FLL) 1400 TP in Economy or 5600 TP if all in business

So it seems from a calculation perspective if you credit just those miles to AA you will be somewhere in the vicinity of EXP or CK (pending MQD requirements) and for BA just a 40 TP shy of Gold to either GLL (Concorde Card access)

When I was in the UK I was BA Gold so I cant speak for the upgrades of GLL members personally (I can speak from my friend's experience) and I'm currently EXP but

AA:
1. Dependent upon the availability of the fare you do get a minimum of 4 SWU and if the space is available (either A or C fare class) you are able to confirm your upgrade at booking
2. If you travel within the US (on AA flights) you will be prioritized and upgraded (if possible)
3. For EXP and Platinum Pro the ability for same day flight changes are available
4. Easier to hit MQD requirements since (if flying on partner airlines) will be calculated as a % of distance rather than $ spend.
5. Unless you maintain your US Bank Account - harder to obtain AA miles in the UK via credit card. I usually kept my US Bank Account opened and used my US credit cards in the UK

BA:
1. If you travel domestically you will be allowed into Admirals Lounge and Flagship Lounge due to your BA Gold status
2. My upgrades on BA when I was BA Gold was slim to none (except for a few operational upgrades/oversold but mostly on short routes such as LHR - DUB or LHR - BCN)
3. Much easier to obtain credit card sign-up bonus and top up (e.g., AMEX Gold was my personal favorite since it was low spend I believe circa 2000 GBP for 3 month spend and you get around 20,000 MR points. The AMEX sign-up was different than the US one and in the UK I was allowed to renew it once every 6 months [post closing the account] to receive the sign-up)
4. When flying domestically I wasn't on the upgrade list or treated any differently
5. Allow flagship check in at JFK, ORD, LAX and MIA when travelling on domestic flights

In terms of status match AA had one via my company's travel portal and BA (correct me if I'm wrong) but doesn't really offer status match. In terms of status match (what was available on my company's portal) it was specifically offered to UA/DL fliers and the highest they matched it to was Platinum Pro.

I believe more on the forum can provide pros/cons for both programs but if you travel to the US once a month (I assume you will also have other domestic travels) I would stick to AA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.