Community
Wiki Posts
Search

back to American incompetence

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

back to American incompetence

It is hard to separate American Airlines from American (corporate) culture. As I got on the plane in HK I noticed everybody around me wiping down their seats. I didn't know for business class you need to bring your own cleaning supplies?
But from hearing reports of the dirtiness of the planes, I guess that makes sense?

Then upon landing at LAX we had to deplane and get on a bus (the pilot says nobody told him beforehand). And getting to the building the escalators were all going up, while we were going down, so everybody had to carry their bags down the flight of stairs. Oh, and then there was another one.

And getting through quickly (GE) means there were no bags. And when bags came out there was no order, as in non-priority bags came out before priority bags (like mine).

As a contrast, in Asia they seem to do a decent job of keeping planes clean, even on budget carriers. And airports were well-maintained (though old and dingy) even in poorer countries-at least they are clean. In Japan, which is obviously an anomaly, boarding was done in less than 15 minutes for a full 737 (which in domestic America requires twenty five minutes, if not more).
If you have expedited immigration you don't have to speak to people, just walk through the e-gates (and for the customs part they usually have green or red channels, which in Singapore you just walk through, same as HK).

To be the fair, the seat was fine (same as on my intra-Asia CX a330) though I got pajamas and a pad for my long-haul AA flight) and I slept through the flight.

But back to America where people bark orders at you? Where life may be simple if you have Global Entry but needlessly long and painful otherwise? Where you have to learn to put your tail between your legs to successfully go through CBP?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Do you think that AA controls the escalators in a multi use airport facility?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by s0ssos
It is hard to separate American Airlines from American (corporate) culture....
However, it's important to really try to do that here (it's required)-- especially before commencing such a senseless, rambling philippic.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Terminal tarmac transfers are not that uncommon at gate-challenged terminals. LAX is no exception and while I’m not a fan of the moon buggies or 35X at other stations, it’s actually quite fun when a connection isn’t in play. I will update this post when I’m 92 and advise as to how I feel about it using my walker or L’il Rascal.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
LAX is a third world hole of excrement (take that profanities filters!) so address your angst to the hats of anus running the place.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:11 pm

You’re going to love the professional credit card barkers that we have here
757FO likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:15 pm

Flyertalk Word of The Day:

phi·lip·pic
/fəˈlipik/
noun
LITERARY
  1. a bitter attack or denunciation, especially a verbal one.
  2. often used in posting on online frequent flyer forums following a bad personal experience
JDiver, moondog, JonNYC and 17 others like this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
...in domestic America...
how do I get there from foreign america? Is that like New Mexico?
roberto99, apeortdz and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
how do I get there from foreign america? Is that like New Mexico?
I can’t imagine what airlines are like in undomesticated America.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by enpremiere

I can’t imagine what airlines are like in undomesticated America.
See, e.g., Allegiant Airlines.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
LAX is probably worse than most third world country airports, so there's that. We also have a fun game here in the US of "who can let the tiny bit of power they have go to their head the most", and everyone from TSA to Customs agents play that game so there's that.

Although AA definitely takes it to the next level by doing things such as 10 minute credit card pitches and flight attendants coming by every seat to make sure you know they are only there for your safety.
anniegray likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Oh my god.

LAX is NOT worse than most third-world country airports. You can only take hyperbole so far before it becomes ridiculous.

Last edited by hotturnip; Dec 9, 2018 at 8:20 pm Reason: spelling
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:20 pm

If anyone thinks only seats on AA (or US airlines generally) could use some actual effective cleaning they are kidding themselves. A seat on ANY airline is likely to be just as bad as any other...I have cleaned around me with disinfectant wipes on SQ, NZ and NH..... and the results were exactly as I suspected.... pretty filthy. Im not going to castigate the airlines for that..to clean something like a commercial aircraft to THAT level would be immensely time/labour consuming....I bet the seats were as clean (or cleaner) than most "public" facilities... (ever thought about that cinema or concert hall seat you are sitting in, for instance?) and in fact I would challenge the OP to run some disinfectant wipes over every surface in their own house and see what happens....
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:11 pm

They actually may now be cleaner on AA depending on how many 'pre-boarding cleaners' there are on the previous flight.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
LAX is a horrible airport.

It’s the PHL/EWR of the west.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.