FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Least expensive east coast business class to Asia on AA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1944734-least-expensive-east-coast-business-class-asia-aa.html)

chuck1 Dec 8, 2018 3:19 pm

Least expensive east coast business class to Asia on AA?

Hello -

I'm trying to burn my last systemwide upgrades.
My ideal destination city would be somewhere in Asia beyond HKG where I could buy J and upgrade to F on the AA portion JFK-LAX-HKG and still get a through fare onward on CX.
I've found JFK-LAX-HKG-TPE for around $3800 using an upgrade from J to F JFK-LAX-HKG that includes J on the CX HKG-TPE.
From the US, I would like to depart from the east coast. NY is preferred by DC or BOS would be okay too.
Thanks for any suggestions.

platbrownguy Dec 8, 2018 5:10 pm

Disregard

erik123 Dec 8, 2018 6:31 pm

Try from YYZ or YUL if possible.

chuck1 Dec 8, 2018 8:25 pm

Thanks.

thelark Dec 8, 2018 8:29 pm

Try posting in the mileage run forum too.

flyingeph12 Dec 8, 2018 8:39 pm

Besides looking at positioning to Canada (and I would include YVR on the list), also check out AA Vacations. With business class, you may be able to score a good deal (note that if you are planning a longer trip, you only have to book a hotel for 3 days through AA Vacations). I would start with BKK, SIN, SGN, and HAN.

Part of your problem is that there aren't many options for using a SWU from J to F; you're basically limited to DFW/LAX-HKG, LAX-HND (starting in June of next year), and JFK-LAX domestically.

355F1 Dec 9, 2018 7:59 am

LAX-HKG you’re almost 100% certain to clear into F. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that cabin full.

have you been to Bali (DPS)?

We go twice a year and we always fly the LAX-HKG leg and have cleared from Y into J every single time.

355F1 Dec 9, 2018 8:01 am

With LAX and HKG you’ll get the two best F lounges in the world, too. ;)

QF F @ LAX and The Pier F at HKG.

flyingeph12 Dec 9, 2018 8:38 am

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 30515432)
With LAX and HKG you’ll get the two best F lounges in the world, too. ;)

QF F @ LAX and The Pier F at HKG.

Eh...that might be overstating it just a tad. What about QF F in SYD? AF F in CDG? LH F in FRA?

Also, given the timing of LAX-HKG, the QF lounge is absolutely heaving at that time of the day (to the point that I might prefer the relative calm of Flagship First dining over in AA’s Flagship lounge, despite the pretty subpar food there—I’ve found JFK’s Flagship First dining, on the other hand, to have good food pretty consistently). Also, depending on the season, the LAX-HKG flight doesn’t leave until 1 am, and the QF flounge closes at 11:30 pm.

Let’s say LAX and HKG have some of the best Oneworld lounges in the world.

C17PSGR Dec 9, 2018 11:56 am

But ... if you're looking to buy biz and use a SWU to go to F, seems to me your best class of service option would be JFK.

As others have noted, biz fares to Asia (and Europe) are often cheaper out of Canada. Not sure YUL has non-stops to LAX though and also not sure how easy it is to use a J to F SWU from DFW-HKG,.