Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award Cancellation: When Last Moment, is at Gate, After Flight Departs...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Ambassador (LT Titanium)

Anyone ever gotten all the way to the gate only to find out you have to cancel an award ticket due to business? Can miles be credited back into the account in this case when you've already made it past security?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
Yeah, as long as you cancel before scheduled departure.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by FAA1996
Yeah, as long as you cancel before scheduled departure.
Yeah, what he said.

Seriously, unless EXP is totally in the dumper. Then ...
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Seriously, unless EXP is totally in the dumper. Then ...
Seriously, I don't even know what that statement means...

Regards
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:32 pm

I was told that with an award ticket it could be done after scheduled departure. (I'm not sure it can be done though because I did it about 20 minutes before.)
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
I was told that with an award ticket it could be done after scheduled departure. (I'm not sure it can be done though because I did it about 20 minutes before.)
Not if you were planning on asking for your miles to be reinstated... My understanding was that it needed to be done before departure time; even one minute before is fine. But never after.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by samm
Not if you were planning on asking for your miles to be reinstated... My understanding was that it needed to be done before departure time; even one minute before is fine. But never after.
I actually have no idea, but that policy might make sense for Saaver Awards with refund after for AAnytime....
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is no requirement - award tickets have no no-show penalty unlike many paid fares
Old May 1, 2018, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is no requirement - award tickets have no no-show penalty unlike many paid fares
What he said.

Whilst is nice of you to cancel in advance, there's no requirement to do so. You can just call anytime after (as long as the ticket is valid/within 1 year of ticketing) and cancel and have them reinstate your miles.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Djokison
What he said.

Whilst is nice of you to cancel in advance, there's no requirement to do so. You can just call anytime after (as long as the ticket is valid/within 1 year of ticketing) and cancel and have them reinstate your miles.
Interesting. AA Twitter team advised that it needed to be cancelled before departure time. Now I'm really curious which is the case in respect to being eligible for the miles to be reinstated.

Old May 4, 2018, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Interesting. AA Twitter team advised that it needed to be cancelled before departure time. Now I'm really curious which is the case in respect to being eligible for the miles to be reinstated.

Given that the statement from the twitter person is incorrect in relation to paid tickets , then the follow on regarding awards I would not trust

Not all tickets have to be cancelled before departure in order to be refunded - AA's domestic refundable fares on ORD-LAX , for example, have no such requirement

e.g. ORD-LAX , fare bases K0AIZRN1, H0AWZRN1 and YA2AA has no requirement in fare rules that cancellation has to be done before departure time

Only the non refundable fares have a change policy that states " IF TICKETED FLIGHT RESERVATION IS NOT CANCELLED PRIOR TO TICKETED DEPARTURE TIME/ REBOOKING IS NOT PERMITTED AND THE TICKET HAS NO VALUE."
Old May 7, 2018, 9:22 am

Given that the statement from the twitter person is incorrect in relation to paid tickets , then the follow on regarding awards I would not trust

Not all tickets have to be cancelled before departure in order to be refunded - AA's domestic refundable fares on ORD-LAX , for example, have no such requirement

e.g. ORD-LAX , fare bases K0AIZRN1, H0AWZRN1 and YA2AA has no requirement in fare rules that cancellation has to be done before departure time

Only the non refundable fares have a change policy that states " IF TICKETED FLIGHT RESERVATION IS NOT CANCELLED PRIOR TO TICKETED DEPARTURE TIME/ REBOOKING IS NOT PERMITTED AND THE TICKET HAS NO VALUE."
Thanks for adding that additional info. I wouldn't necessarily consider their statement on revenue tickets to be incorrect, but perhaps they were personalizing it to me since I have never bought a Y fare. The vast majority of the fares they sell lose value if not cancelled prior to departure. Anyway, regarding award ticket cancellation policy, does it make a difference if it's a mile saver ticket or anytime award? I just called EP desk twice and got two different answers, one advised the same info that I got from Twitter, and the other stated that it made no difference when it is cancelled.

I make speculative bookings very often due to my reinstatement fee being waived, and am genuinely curious on the most accurate answer so I appreciate your info. If what you state is the case, then I suppose I would just need to hang up and keep calling again until I found an EP agent who would agree to reinstate miles after departure time.
Old May 7, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
This is correct. I have redeposited countless award tickets without canceling prior to scheduled departure times. Normally I try to give a heads up, but once in awhile you just forget. There is no stated policy that prohibits reinstating the miles if you have not canceled prior to the plane pulling out of the gate. Hope this helps end the confusion.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I have done it after departure time. well after departure time. not proud but sometimes things get crazy.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Is the cancellation policy good on partner awards such as AS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.