Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lies about overhead bins and capacity at LGA

Lies about overhead bins and capacity at LGA

Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by gateH15

you have valid points. I was talking about 787 on domestic runs. I’m not sure if it’s enough space for everyone or not but I definitely saw some bins being empty after door was closed most of the time.
I guess checking a bag or not is a personal preference. Even when i check the luggage on international trips I still have a full size carry on where I put more expensive clothes that I don’t want to get lost.
Don't get me wrong, I totally get why you wouldn't want to check a bag. It's never the time at the carousel for me though, it's more about when my contents are critical. I still carry-on prior to cruises since I don't know how good service recovery is on a delayed bag when I'm in a different country every few days. And if I was a road warrior, those 20 minutes per airport would add up I'm sure.

Never saw a widebody on a domestic run though! That's interesting
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
Don't get me wrong, I totally get why you wouldn't want to check a bag. It's never the time at the carousel for me though, it's more about when my contents are critical. I still carry-on prior to cruises since I don't know how good service recovery is on a delayed bag when I'm in a different country every few days. And if I was a road warrior, those 20 minutes per airport would add up I'm sure.

DFW to ORD has a couple of 787 especially in a slow months
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by gateH15

complimentary checked bags won’t solve the problem. They complimentary check at the gate for every flight. People don’t want to check it and wait for it after arrival. You can’t pay me to check a bag especially if I’m connecting. they can loose it or delay it. Also you don’t really have stand by flexibility once you have it checked.
Plus they make a lot of money from it. I’d rather AA charge for bags instead of passing that cost to everyone.

Well, Alaska and Delta do pay you to check bags if they don’t deliver them within 20 minutes. In my experience, AS does a good job of that. (I haven’t checked a bag with a Delta since they copied AS’s policy.) Because AS reliably delivers my bag without making me wait long, I’m far more inclined to check a bag (though I still usually don’t).

Solution here is to have larger overhead bins.
Absolutely agreed. Again AS does well here. Their new 737 bins allow rollaboards to be vertical; makes a huge difference. (Would make a bigger difference if passengers actually listened to the repeated announcements or looked at the clear diagrams telling them to out their rollaboards on their sides, but I digress.)

There are never problems on dreamliners or 777. Enough space for everyone to stow their carry on
I’m not at all convinced that has to do with the bins so much. There aren’t problems on 767s or 330s flying internationally either. That has much more to do with fewer people traveling with rollaboards because of the free checked bags on long haul flights and also, I would guess, because people tend to travel with more stuff on long haul flights.

Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:11 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Here is the schedule of them for the remainder of the month: https://www.aacargo.com/downloads/sc...S_Domestic.pdf
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by ashill

Well, Alaska and Delta do pay you to check bags if they don’t deliver them within 20 minutes. In my experience, AS does a good job of that. (I haven’t checked a bag with a Delta since they copied AS’s policy.) Because AS reliably delivers my bag without making me wait long, I’m far more inclined to check a bag (though I still usually don’t).
Delta's takes about 2 minutes. I did it in the time it took me to pick up my bag from carousel at ORD and walk to the CTA station. It's a simple web form where you enter your bag tag number and flight details. If it took longer than 20 minute it'll then credit your FF account with 2500 miles (essentially a refund of your checked bag fee in miles, but works even if you didn't pay the fee).

FWIW, the one time I used it my bag was only a minute late. And hasn't happened since. These days my bag beats me to the carousel, even when I'm sitting towards the front.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:41 am
C46

They did not lie!
They gave you a very creative version of the truth...

1) The gate agents actually get a "electronic message", that advises them to start checking carry-ons!

It has nothing to do with sensors, though.
It is the QiK over SABRE-interface, that shows a message after a certain number of pax has been boarded, without considering the actual sizes of luggage.

So...no lie, the message came electronically.

2) The FAA will approve all aircraft types and their interiors, before they may be used commercially in the U.S.!

Therefore the bins were regulated by the FAA at some point.
That has absolutely nothing to do with that certain flight of course.

But, again...no lie!

You fell for political BS-speech!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I will admit that there are plenty of times that I would take the complementary gate-check if the airline would be willing to check it for gate pickup at my next stop. Aside from wanting my laptop, a book or two, and a change of clothes with me (the last one being superstition) I'm generally not too worked up about having the bag with me on the plane (and indeed, on a number of trips in the past I would take my "checked" bag with me through security and promptly hand it to the GA when I got to the gate for a gate-check...I was within my allowance, but check-at-the-gate was quicker than check-at-the-counter and it gave me a little more slack in getting to the gate).

For the record, I've only had a bag go "astray" twice: Once when I got IRROPSed onto one flight while my bag went on another, and once where I made a connection and my bag didn't. Considering that I only made the connection in question due to running through Atlanta (my flight from Toronto was delayed several hours; if not for the fact that I had left my phone in an Uber, I would have just missed the connection [last of the day] and done misconnect games the next day), I can't fault the airline for not getting it through.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
A couple times, connecting from ATL to DFW/MIA or ORD to make an international connection the FA tell me that I will need to check my bag, which I have been using for the last 10 years
and that it wont be a gate check.. I just tell them I have a international connection and would prefer not too.
It works especially when the Senior FA says it fine.. (so having tags on your bags do help)
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:09 am

It's really not the wait, that's trivial in comparison to having to find a store, and buy new clothes for a meeting. I had only a carry-on, my colleague had checked a bag for a 1 week international trip through 4 destinations, basically a meeting, then back on a plane every day. As you guessed, bag didn't show at stop 1, he had to shop, then bag missed stop 2, shop again. It finally shows up the last day of the trip, after basically chasing us around Europe all week. Fortunately, he had enough room to pack home an entire second set of clothes. That's a week without strikes, which would only contribute to the problem, as by day 3 we started wondering if they would give up and just ship it back to the US instead.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Were they telling you sweet little lies?
Gig103 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by autdi
It's really not the wait, that's trivial in comparison to having to find a store, and buy new clothes for a meeting.
That is key. It's not just that AA is slow (without the 20-minute guarantee of DL or AS), it's unreliable, too. AA had twice as many reports of mishandled bags per 1000 passengers Jan-Sep '18 as Delta did. And Delta wasn't even the best!

See page 36. https://www.transportation.gov/sites...-2018-atcr.pdf
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
GAs lying. Say it ain't so! Seriously, being forced to gate check bags from onboard does cause flights to leave late. If your're in groups 7-9 chances are your rollerboard won't find a place. I'd rather all this be done pre-boarding. If the GA needs to tell a little white lie to accomplish that feat so be it.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
AA is the worst about this. They preemptively force people to gate check bags without really knowing the situation. The last time I flew with them, they made me gate check. Even after the flight was fully boarded, there were open bins everywhere with huge gaps in them. Probably room for 2 dozen more roll-aboards.

And now they're claiming they have magical sensors? Right.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
See also : during boarding, "this is a completely full flight..." (even when it's not)
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
See also : during boarding, "this is a completely full flight..." (even when it's not)
Or "And just for this flight today, you'll receive a special bonus when you signup for our...."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.