Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Downgrade AA award on MH / Malaysia, changed flight, missed hotel reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold

Hi,

I have an award ticket through AA on Malaysia Airlines. Flight was today, confirmed in First Class to SIN through KUL.
When I tried to check in yesterday, I got an error message. I called AA and it looked like MH had downgraded the plane to an A333, putting me in business class. The agend confiemed that the later flight had still 1 award seat in First, so I had myself rebooked even though I would now get into Singapore the day after I had originally planned, losing one night hotel non-refundable reservation I had booked by paying qwith Avios.
To add insult to injury, a mate of mine is now at NRT and told me that the A380 was actually there, and flightstats confirmed that the flight is now operated by the A380 as scheduled today.

So... what happened there?? I am SO annoyed MH made me miss my original flight.. apparently for nothing.

Is anyone liable for the lost hotel night? My only option to get to SIN in my originally-booked class was the later MH flight, so wouldn't MH have to refund me for it? How should I go about it?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
The airline did not make you miss your hotel reservation. You had an option to stay on your original flight and you opted for another flight.

You aren’t due any compensation.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Airlines never accept responsibility for consequential damages, such as lost wages or non refundable hotel bookings. Even though your missed hotel booking was due to a voluntary flight change, I’d try contacting the hotel, particularly if you have a longer or future stay, and ask for a waiver; this has not always worked for me, but it has worked more often than not.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
The airline did not make you miss your hotel reservation. You had an option to stay on your original flight and you opted for another flight.

You aren’t due any compensation.
The original flight would have forced me to downgrade one cabin, causing a loss of miles, and alternative routings were not available. I fail to see how that’s not the airline’s fault... but I get that - I won’t likely see any money back
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by oneworld82
The original flight would have forced me to downgrade one cabin, causing a loss of miles, and alternative routings were not available. I fail to see how that’s not the airline’s fault... but I get that - I won’t likely see any money back
You were due some miles back for the downgrade (perhaps even a customer service gesture), but the rest of it was all your choice and I can't see how any compensation is due.
JonNYC and windchaser777 like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

How would you have lost miles? If you are downgraded, you can get a refund of the miles
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called AA and it looked like MH had downgraded the plane to an A333, putting me in business class.
<snip>
So... what happened there?? I am SO annoyed MH made me miss my original flight.. apparently for nothing.
MH did not make you miss your original flight. Just that flight in a different class.
The rest was your personal choice and at your cost to change.

It was your personal choice & actions. You could have claimed back the award ff mile difference

The route (NRT-KUL-SIN)? http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=NRT-KUL-SIN&DU=mi&SU=kts

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 6, 2018 at 7:57 pm
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Contact the hotel, I have don that several times for hotels in BOM, where my flight wither from the states has been cancelled or delayed and my flight from LHR which has the same problem
Most hotels understand that flights sometimes dont make it out on time
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:58 am

Dear hotel manager,

I missed my non-refundable night due to voluntarily changing my flight schedule. You see, they wanted me to slum it in business, rather than first (obviously), and that was clearly unacceptable. Im sure you understand and will refund my stay.

Best,
OP
FAA1996, RaindropT and arlflyer like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, this has nothing to do with AA. It is solely the ticketing carrier and neither downgraded nor rerouted OP. Hopefully the Mods will move it.

Second, there is no compensation.

Third, Had OP accepted the DG, MH would have made arrangements with AA to refund the fare difference in miles (if there is a refund).

Fourth OP instead chose a reroute which delaye him, but kept him in F. That was his choice and perhaps a good one. All depends on the individual.

Fifth, OP agreed when he accepted the COC that neither AA nor MH are responsible for consequential damages such as prepaid hotel rooms and lost wages. In this particular case, OP knew at the time he rerouted so as to stay in F, that he would lose the night and still made the choice.

Finally, it is possible that MH will toss OP something minor by way of a customer service gesture (not likely) and that the property will extend OP's stay or do something else for OP (all depending on how he asks and the mood of the manager he speaks with). It is also remotely, and I stress remotely, that OP's travel interruption insurance will cover the hotel. But, that would require the insurance carrier to recognize the reroute to preserve F as an involuntary change, which it is not.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi folks,

in the end, I called the hotel and they agreed to waive the cancellation fee. After spendiong 1h10m on the phone with BA holidays they said eveyrhting was fine and my Avios would be refunded. After 5 days, still no miles, but I am confident everything will show up as promised.
platbrownguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.