AA to Lufthansa connecting at FRA (bags)

Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
AA to Lufthansa connecting at FRA (bags)

After reviewing https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/docum...te_Tickets.pdf
I am not clear on whether an 001 ticket would be issued for my LH FRA-GOA (Frankfurt-Genoa) when booking online at aa.com.
I want to fly DFW-FRA-GOA returning MXP-JFK-DFW (overwater segments are in Premium Economy) for a cruise from GOA
All flights are AA, except the LH flight from FRA-GOA.. There is an 8 hour connection in Frankfurt.
Considering this as it lets me leave late afternoon, and then spend some time visiting Frankfurt then arriving in GOA around 6pm for a cruise the next day.
So, the issue is whether we will need to pick up bags at FRA, extending our exit from the airport, and possible LH bag fees if we need to recheck

Does anyone have experience purchasing an AA-LH connection on aa.com?
Was the LH segment on a 001 ticket? (Basically, should I expect AA to through check the bag DFW-FRA-GOA (Genoa, Italy..... not Goa, India)
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mvoight
After reviewing https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/docum...te_Tickets.pdf
I am not clear on whether an 001 ticket would be issued for my LH FRA-GOA (Frankfurt-Genoa) when booking online at aa.com.
I want to fly DFW-FRA-GOA returning MXP-JFK-DFW (overwater segments are in Premium Economy) for a cruise from GOA
All flights are AA, except the LH flight from FRA-GOA.. There is an 8 hour connection in Frankfurt.
Considering this as it lets me leave late afternoon, and then spend some time visiting Frankfurt then arriving in GOA around 6pm for a cruise the next day.
So, the issue is whether we will need to pick up bags at FRA, extending our exit from the airport, and possible LH bag fees if we need to recheck

Does anyone have experience purchasing an AA-LH connection on aa.com?
Was the LH segment on a 001 ticket? (Basically, should I expect AA to through check the bag DFW-FRA-GOA (Genoa, Italy..... not Goa, India)
Purchased at aa.com it should be all on the same ticket number, bags should be checked through with no issues.

Assuming your're booking well in advance, you could always book it, wait for it to ticket and double confirm that it's all on the same ticket, if for whatever the reason there is a hiccup you could always cancel within the 24 hr. free cancel period.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:50 pm

Is the itinerary offered for sale on aa.com? (Implied but not stated in your post.) Then there's no problem. To the best of my knowledge, ALL tickets issued by AA are 001 tickets.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Is the itinerary offered for sale on aa.com? (I know this does not always mean the purchase will go through, but are you seeing it?)
To the best of my knowledge, any tickets issued by AA are 001 tickets.
Yes, it is on AA.com, the only flight option with one stop from DFW-GOA for June 7
AA 70 4:05 PM to 8:50 AM
LH 226 4:45 PM to 6:10 PM
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Purchased at aa.com it should be all on the same ticket number, bags should be checked through with no issues.

Assuming your're booking well in advance, you could always book it, wait for it to ticket and double confirm that it's all on the same ticket, if for whatever the reason there is a hiccup you could always cancel within the 24 hr. free cancel period.
u
As it is has no 24 hour hold due to the LH flight, I was hoping to find out before committing the $4700+ for two in Prem Econ
Cruise is free balcony cabin, no taxes, and the deposit can be used for anything (thanks urcomped.com), so I am willing to pay for Y+... not yet Business..
Thanks for the responses
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:42 pm

u
As it is has no 24 hour hold due to the LH flight, I was hoping to find out before committing the $4700+ for two in Prem Econ
Cruise is free balcony cabin, no taxes, and the deposit can be used for anything (thanks urcomped.com), so I am willing to pay for Y+... not yet Business..
Thanks for the responses
all flights booked on any US POS are subject to 24 hour free cancellation rule. It doesn’t matter if you book on AA, UA, LH or Priceline. The only thing matters is US POS. So you can go ahead and book. If you discover that it is a separate ticket you will be able to cancel it.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<snip>.
You will need to clear immigration at FRA after your DFW-FRA flight. And probably customs (baggage) as well. Or maybe customs in GOA. Others know a lot more about Eu immigration & customs procedures & checking in for LH flights.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=DFW-FRA...SU=kts&RS=best

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 5, 2018 at 3:53 pm
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:48 pm

Shengen passport control is always at the first point of entry. Customs are always at the final destination so there is no need to pick up bags to go thru customs like in the US. ( unless you have to pick it up due to AA not checking it all the way to GOA)
JDiver and windchaser777 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AA and LH interline, so if your ticketing isn’t purchased separately AA should check your baggage through to GOA. An 8 hour connection shouldn’t be a problem, as AA uses 12 hours connection for their through-checked baggage cutoff. (See below, Often1’s post.)
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 5, 2018 at 6:53 pm
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I am not seeing that AA offers online DFW-FRA-GOA as a connection at all. This leads me to believe that you are somehow looking at separate tickets and you correctly note that you won't have a 24-hour cancellation period for LH operating between two points outside the US.

None of this is to say that what you want can't be ticketed as a connection, simply that you should call AA rather than worrying about all of this. As AA and LH interline, AA can certainly ticket this as a single ticket and you will have the same baggage allowance for the remainder of your trip, including the return, as you have for the first segment.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EP, SPG Gold
About 2 months ago did a Poland - FRA on LH and then switched back to American in FRA to DFW. Bags transferred. The obvious is answer is look at your bag claim ticket it will show. But if all the flights were made in one booking and are on the same record locator they should transfer.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Last edited by mvoight; Dec 5, 2018 at 9:48 pm
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This was found with a simple search for a round trip flight for 2 June 7-17 and changed "Sort by" to "Number of stops".
It shows up first as the only one stop.
I left the airline to the default - American which is why there is a warning about there being other carriers at the top, since AA doesn't fly to Genoa
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gateH15
Shengen passport control is always at the first point of entry. Customs are always at the final destination so there is no need to pick up bags to go thru customs like in the US. ( unless you have to pick it up due to AA not checking it all the way to GOA)
Yes I know passport control is at the port of entry, and we are exiting the airport, so going through the airport is not the issue.
The issue is regarding the interline and whether the ticket meet the AA requirement of being on 001 stock as LH is not a OW partner and the concern is whether they will interline the bag (as AA states they will not check the bag through unless the ongoing non-OW flight is on a 001 ticket.)
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
This was found with a simple search for a round trip flight for 2 June 7-17 and changed "Sort by" to "Number of stops".
It shows up first as the only one stop.
I left the airline to the default - American which is why there is a warning about there being other carriers at the top, since AA doesn't fly to Genoa
It will be a single ticket (001 stock) and your luggage will be checked in to the final destination. Many of AA's fares to destinations in Europe specifically allow booking European-based airlines for shorthaul segments.
JDiver likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.