Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What is it like for an EP to fly Basic Economy? (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Million Miler, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat

I'm looking to book a short trip for three, I am an EP, my fiancee is Plat and we're taking my mother with us (zero status). Basic economy fares are appealing in terms of price, while as a typical traveler I'd likely avoid them I am curious as to what EP benefits would apply, I'll be booking all three tickets on one itinerary.

From what I have read as an EP/Plat we'd get carry on bags so that shouldn't be an issue, do we still get to choose seats or would we have to roll the dice or buy-up in the last 48 hours? It's a short flight, only an hour and no middle seats so it wouldn't be the end of the world but it'd obviously be nice to choose seats and potentially get upgrades (although I doubt that is likely for three on one itinerary.

Does anyone have any experience flying basic economy with status that they'd care to share?

Chris.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Basic Economy fairs are not eligible for upgrades, even as an ExPlat.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dantheflyingman
Basic Economy fairs are not eligible for upgrades, even as an ExPlat.
Thanks Dan, any insight on seat assignments? Upgrades aren't a concern in fact I often prefer the coach snack item to the basket in F but I'd like to get seated together at least.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
You would get a carry-on with priority boarding, but not seat selection and no upgrades.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by adunker
You would get a carry-on with priority boarding, but not seat selection and no upgrades.
ALL Basic fare passengers get carry-on now, assuming there is space. If no space, they can gate check.
(Just want to make sure people understand this in not a priority item anymore)
OP would also get the checked luggage allowance for the status they hold
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Would an EXP board in Group (and thereby likely forced to check bags or have bags away from their seat)? I'm assuming no seat assignment to check in and maybe something like 29B.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:42 am
Original Poster

I'm thinking I'll just roll the dice on the basic economy, worst case we have random seats for an hour long flight, I believe we'll board Group 2 so shouldn't have a carry on issue and it'll save me $180 for a nice dinner out while we're away!
869 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
There are two benefits you're not going to get. #1 50% EQMs, and #2 seat selection. #1 doesn't bother me that much as you know what you're getting into. #2 can be an issue if the flight is full. With three of you, chances are decent you'll get split up and at least one of you will get a middle. If its a mainline jet flight, you run the risk of having a BP that says 26B on it. Not something you like to see...
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
What boarding group is BE? 16?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
What boarding group is BE? 16?
This is tongue in cheek, right?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
There are two benefits you're not going to get. #1 50% EQMs, and #2 seat selection. #1 doesn't bother me that much as you know what you're getting into. #2 can be an issue if the flight is full. With three of you, chances are decent you'll get split up and at least one of you will get a middle. If its a mainline jet flight, you run the risk of having a BP that says 26B on it. Not something you like to see...
He he said there are no middle seats on the aircraft
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
He he said there are no middle seats on the aircraft
Yeah, there is almost no downside then. I once considered a BE fare for as short trip to JFK that would have been on a E-145. With a 1x2 configuration, there is little to worry about other than being stuck next to the engine in row 18.

So, go for it, if you want.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
There are two benefits you're not going to get. #2 seat selection. ... #2 can be an issue if the flight is full. With three of you, chances are decent you'll get split up and at least one of you will get a middle. .

Then .... if you are flying with four kids on DL's BE fare, you can go the news media and complain that you were split up ...
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:12 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Elites on BE fares still board with their respective group, so that at least gives a high likelihood of having overhead space for any luggage.

But *NOBODY* on BE fare gets a seat assignment until they check in. So yes, it's quite possible it will be towards the back and a middle seat.

And yes, earning 1/2 segment and EQM credit is a consequence too but that's probably not a big deal if you've got your status cemented for next year.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Rather than have everyone re-hash everything here, you may want to review this thread (especially the Wikipost, which is very thorough):
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

We'll eventually merge the threads.

aztimm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.