Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HKG question - leaving a rollaboard bag in the lounge -

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 10 MM + 2013, AA EXP,Lifetime AC ,Crown Room, Red Carpet,USAIR CLUB ,Hertz Plat, Hilton Dia, GS +++

I have a quick trip to HK next week. Arriving early AM on AA, Departing early evening on AA. Meeting in the city for a few hours. Will the CX lounge or AA's lounge allow me to park my roll on there for the day without being in the lounge. I really just want to come back to the airport without bag issues, and Im not sure where I will be meeting, if a bag is easy to store. I'll have my boarding pass for the return - so I can go upstairs at the transit point. Outside of security, storage I know is available. Thanks for the thoughts.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Cannonball Run
I have a quick trip to HK next week. Arriving early AM on AA, Departing early evening on AA. Meeting in the city for a few hours. Will the CX lounge or AA's lounge allow me to park my roll on there for the day without being in the lounge. I really just want to come back to the airport without bag issues, and Im not sure where I will be meeting, if a bag is easy to store. I'll have my boarding pass for the return - so I can go upstairs at the transit point. Outside of security, storage I know is available. Thanks for the thoughts.
Why not check it, rather than leaving it unsecured in the lounge? AA or CX isn't going to accept responsibility for the bag, and I would guess they would not permit it to remain there if you are not there.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:32 pm

It should not be a problem since you're allowed to use the lounge the whole day of your departure. Just leave it in the luggage storage area.

However, to do this you'd need to have your evening boarding pass in order to go through transfer security and enter the lounge. And then, since the lounge is in the departures area, you'd have to go to backtrack to arrivals immigration, which is doable but you'd need someone to guide you to do that. And then in the evening of course you'd have to go through outbound security and immigration again.

The bigger question is, why not avoid all this hassle and take the bag with you, if it's just a small carry-on?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: A handful of shiny cards
Last reports are that if a request is put in to return from the departure area to landslide in HKG, the wait can be an hour or more.

OP will need to factor this into their plans.

Last edited by windchaser777; Dec 3, 2018 at 9:49 pm
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:02 pm

Use the baggage storage facility at the airport. Nominal cost, easy and outside the secure area.

https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/p...aggage-storage
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by ElCaminoReal
Use the baggage storage facility at the airport. Nominal cost, easy and outside the secure area.

https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/p...aggage-storage
+1 for the left-luggage facility. Very easy to drop a bag on the way down to the taxi queue/uber area before you head into town.
kellytoronto and JDiver like this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Just wondering if your only in Hong Kong for the day... how much luggage do you really need. (would it fit in a backpack?)
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Sourdough or pretzel?
TribalistMeathead and MorganB like this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: AA EXP/2mm, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by windchaser777
Last reports are that if a request is put in to return from the departure area to landslide in HKG, the wait can be an hour or more.

+1 need to factor in at least an hour, and maybe more if the secondary immigration inspection is backlogged, since that's where you're most likely going to be processed. I'm not sure if having access to the e-channel would make the process easier/faster
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by windchaser777
Hmm. Due to what? Lack of staff to assist?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by barracuda93
Hmm. Due to what? Lack of staff to assist?
Presumably that and/or the fact that they really don't want people doing this.

Perhaps they should charge too, because it involves an extra security screening.
windchaser777 and moondog like this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fotographer
Just wondering if your only in Hong Kong for the day... how much luggage do you really need. (would it fit in a backpack?)
that was my thought process. And if the OP doesn't need it all day, then why bring it?
fotographer likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're willing to check the bag for your second flight, you could use the airport express train for the RT to/from HKG and check in for your next flight as soon as you arrive at the Kowloon or Central station, checking the bag at that point.
windchaser777 and ktllo like this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
Sourdough or pretzel?
This is what I was thinking too the first time I read this - I was figuring on a pineapple bun or something. The HKG lounges have really good buns.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by arlflyer
This is what I was thinking too the first time I read this - I was figuring on a pineapple bun or something. The HKG lounges have really good buns.
Although my post was obviously silly yes I too thought it was a food item as most people say "roller" or just rollerboard.

Too funny.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.