Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA: video & record shows “abandoned” wheelchair passenger was not

AA: video & record shows “abandoned” wheelchair passenger was not

Old Dec 5, 18, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Are you both just making this up as you go? Put the shovel down.
Next time I'm at the airport I will be filming AA employees at the ticket counter and at the gate, and if they say nothing I will concede you're right.
Old Dec 5, 18, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DCP2016 View Post
Next time I'm at the airport I will be filming AA employees at the ticket counter and at the gate, and if they say nothing I will concede you're right.
Your camera phone != airport security cameras. It’s sad really that this needed to be said but alas...
Old Dec 5, 18, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA Exp., Bonvoy something, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Originally Posted by gmt4 View Post
Yep you're right. AA needs to will some sort of ESP onto its staff so they can become informed about problems they don't even know exist.

As much as you're saying .... need to full stop on what you call a defense of AA, you need to put a full stop on your bAAshing because you don't know squat about what really happened either.
Actually, I know exactly what happened. AA lost track of a passenger and thanks to the thoughtful, meticulous work of the airport security cameras, the managed to piece together a situation they lost control over.

While youre busy apologizing for atrocious service, I’ll continue to notice how airlines like AA have abandoned even the pretense of decent service.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 6, 18 at 12:12 pm Reason: Edit to unacceptable ad hominem term
Old Dec 5, 18, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA Exp., Bonvoy something, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Are you both just making this up as you go? Put the shovel down.
What else will we use to bury that dead metaphor?
Old Dec 6, 18, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by ryan182 View Post

Your camera phone != airport security cameras. It’s sad really that this needed to be said but alas...
Yes it does, and I have every right to do so in a public airport terminal I have business in.
embarcadero1 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 18, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by embarcadero1 View Post
Actually, I know exactly what happened. AA lost track of a passenger
Uh, no. AA public relations went into crisis mode when confronted with a seemingly extraordinary situation about to (or already) blowing up in the media, and responded appropriately as one should in such a crisis, even though they did not have full details of the situation. It cost them what -- a couple hundred dollars? That they may now try to recoup after further investigation.
Old Dec 6, 18, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Uh, no. AA public relations went into crisis mode when confronted with a seemingly extraordinary situation about to (or already) blowing up in the media, and responded appropriately as one should in such a crisis, even though they did not have full details of the situation. It cost them what -- a couple hundred dollars? That they may now try to recoup after further investigation.
uh, no. AA went into crisis mode because their loose network of contractors is such that they lost track of a passenger.

It it cost them what? A few million hours of people looking at negative publicity. I’m sure the $200 bucks they might recover makes it all totally worthwhile.

We we seem to have an outbreak of people staring at trees, oblivious to the forest.
Old Dec 6, 18, 8:48 am

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors Gold; UA dirt

uh, no. AA went into crisis mode because their loose network of contractors is such that they lost track of a passenger.

It it cost them what? A few million hours of people looking at negative publicity. I’m sure the $200 bucks they might recover makes it all totally worthwhile.

We we seem to have an outbreak of people staring at trees, oblivious to the forest.
Its it their contractor of the airport's requirement to use a certain vendor?
Old Dec 6, 18, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You must be reading different articles than me. :sigh:
Old Dec 6, 18, 11:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
You must be reading different articles than me. :sigh:
Or, maybe not . .

Sometimes two people have the exact same facts and come to VERY different conclusions. But that doesn't mean that both interpretations are reasonable.
Old Dec 6, 18, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sbrower View Post
Or, maybe not . .

Sometimes two people have the exact same facts and come to VERY different conclusions. But that doesn't mean that both interpretations are reasonable.
true - but in this case, one is. The story was objectively untrue. A lie.

There is no way AA is at fault here. And doubling down on it is reinforcing that some posters have an axe to grind.
wrp96 and gmt4 like this.
Old Dec 6, 18, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
true - but in this case, one is. The story was objectively untrue. A lie.

There is no way AA is at fault here. And doubling down on it is reinforcing that some posters have an axe to grind.
It seems we’re not in agreement about the story. There is an epidemic of people staring at trees, oblivious to the forest.

The facts are these:

- A story circulated about a woman being abandoned in a wheelchair at O’Hare
- The story spread like wildfire and was believable largely because the low service standards of AA and other airlines made it so.
- The airport security cameras, and not AA, were able to tell a different story, but that version only underscored AA’s precarious claim to know what happened. If it weren’t for the security cameras, we’d still be following the lost woman story.

AA has to own its poor service standards and shoddy management. They got lucky here, but only because the airport was diligent when they weren’t.
Old Dec 6, 18, 4:11 pm

It seems we’re not in agreement about the story. There is an epidemic of people staring at trees, oblivious to the forest.

The facts are these:

- A story circulated about a woman being abandoned in a wheelchair at O’Hare
- The story spread like wildfire and was believable largely because the low service standards of AA and other airlines made it so.
- The airport security cameras, and not AA, were able to tell a different story, but that version only underscored AA’s precarious claim to know what happened. If it weren’t for the security cameras, we’d still be following the lost woman story.

AA has to own its poor service standards and shoddy management. They got lucky here, but only because the airport was diligent when they weren’t.
the forest is that sappy stories like this are clickbait and people love to sit in their ivory tower and decry things without even knowing if it was true.

I'm still unclear what AA was supposed to do. They did everything they were supposed to, this .... son and .... mother fabricated a story to get rich quick. She was in the airport for what, 45 minutes?

how is any of that AA's fault? Lumping stuff like this in with legit complaints just saps the credibility of those complaining.

EDIT: and I post this after two MX delays, ending up at the wrong airport with my bags lost. So not in the most pleased-with-AA mood.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 6, 18 at 6:24 pm Reason: Rules, please
Old Dec 6, 18, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
the forest is that sappy stories like this are clickbait and people love to sit in their ivory tower and decry things without even knowing if it was true.

I'm still unclear what AA was supposed to do.
Really? Still unclear?

They should know what their employees and contractors are doing. The view of the forest is nice and clear from this ivory tower.
Old Dec 6, 18, 5:02 pm

Really? Still unclear?

They should know what their employees and contractors are doing. The view of the forest is nice and clear from this ivory tower.
and how would you do that? Would you like it if you were GPS tracked at work? Or had to badge into every bathroom?

I'm not sure how AA is expected to do what they are supposed to do AND somehow fend off viral clickbait even when they did what they were supposed to do?
ijgordon and DenverBrian like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: