Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on new Transpacific Routing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
Advice on new Transpacific Routing

Summer of 2019 I am currently scheduled to fly from SIN to HND (JAL), HND-LAX-PHX (AA). I arranged a 6.5 hour layover in HND for a quick trip into the city. The HND to LAX leg was on the 787 but just switched to the 77W. With this change I no longer meet the MCT in LAX and got moved to a flight resulting in a 5 hour layover. I have the chance to switch to HND SFO on JAL leaving 2 hours later and then SFO to PHX on AA after a 2 hour layover in SFO.
Would love some advice here since there are so many variables, it is too much for one person to sort out!

As I see it:
Pros: More time in Tokyo for sightseeing; Avoids a 5 hour layover in LAX which is really long even with a visit to the Qantas F lounge.
Con: No good OW lounge option in SFO for me as an emerald (with a 2 hour layover and the need to clear security multiple times, I don't think I will be able to get into to CX after clearing customs but enlighten me); The AA J hard product is really good and I would give that up. I am using a SWU to upgrade to F on the flight out. I could do the same on the way back but J on the 77W is so nice I don't really see a need.
Unknown: Flying J on JAL vs J on AA. I am flying JAL SIN to HND so I get to sample this product already on this trip. Also if I stay on AA to LAX, if I cleared C&I in LAX quickly, there is a flight to PHX that leaves 1:40 after arrival from HND which I might make.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Most likely, between now and summer 2019, you will have at least 2 schedule changes. Whatever you pick now will not be the actual routing you will fly. Having said that, what is important to you? Me personally, I much rather have the most direct route with the least amount of connections.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:27 pm

JL J, especially on 77W, is far better than AA J. Seat itself, food (though believe that may be somewhat standardized now), service.

Unless the times work out better for one of the other options, would jump on the JL J flight
jeffeverde likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
There are multiple considerations, each valued differently by different people. Reading the original post, I deem that "a quick trip into the city (Tokyo)" is valuable. I would agree. Whatever joy one gets from a lounge doesn't beat a visit to a new city (even if one has been there before). Therefore, I tend not to pick the AA HND-LAX replacement flight alternative.

I'd take the JL J HND-SFO - 2 hours in SFO - SFO-PHX
roberto99 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by aa4ever
JL J, especially on 77W, is far better than AA J. Seat itself, food (though believe that may be somewhat standardized now), service.

Unless the times work out better for one of the other options, would jump on the JL J flight
This is not true at all. JL J has better service, but the seat is actually worse than AA's (more cramped) and the cabin is way too hot. Food I believe is actually somewhat similar now, I had a Japanese meal LAX-NRT and it was "made in cooperation with JL".

​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​

Last edited by no2chem; Dec 3, 2018 at 1:59 am
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I love the J seat on JL even more than the AA J seat! So much pitch and a huge screen. It felt pretty private even in an aisle seat to me.

The window on JL is super private with the divide up but has almost no storage, though.

The extra time in Tokyo is pretty nice too so I'd go for the change.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by no2chem
This is not true at all. JL J has better service, but the seat is actually worse than AA's (more cramped) and the cabin is way too hot. Food I believe is actually somewhat similar now, I had a Japanese meal LAX-NRT and it was "made in cooperation with JL".

​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​
I strongly disagree - thought the JL 77W seat was fantastic - more spacious and more comfy. If I remember correctly, they also provide a mattress pad. But to each their own. The AA seat is certainly fine/quite good

From a food perspective, believe it's only the first meal that is similar - AA doesn't have the a la carte dining, etc

I find the JL cabin temp fine but I also tend to like warmer cabins, so to each their own

For my money and all else being equal, I'd book the JL flight any day, but if timing works better for the AA flight I wouldn't hesitate to take it. It's a fairly short flight, both are quite comfortable, and the food on neither is really all that much worth going out of way for.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
Originally Posted by phxbarcelona
Unknown: Flying J on JAL vs J on AA. I am flying JAL SIN to HND so I get to sample this product already on this trip. Also if I stay on AA to LAX, if I cleared C&I in LAX quickly, there is a flight to PHX that leaves 1:40 after arrival from HND which I might make.
JL J hard product is at least equal to AA J hard product. JL J soft product SLAUGHTERS AA J soft product. (JL Y soft product is usually as good as AA J soft product.)

I'd take the JL flight in a New York minute and have 58 New York seconds left for coffee.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by zarkov505
JL J hard product is at least equal to AA J hard product. JL J soft product SLAUGHTERS AA J soft product. (JL Y soft product is usually as good as AA J soft product.)

I'd take the JL flight in a New York minute and have 58 New York seconds left for coffee.
Slaughter is a bit of an overstatement.
Maybe if they would set the A/C to a reasonable setting

For me, what matters the most in a J class flight is the ability to rest; JL completely fails at this unless you enjoy sleeping in a sauna...
I could care less how great the food is; at the end of the day it is food that is reheated in an oven and made in a mass catering facility. Really.
Plus, most of the time I don't eat it anyway.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:19 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by aa4ever

AA seems to cater their Japanese option from whoever supplies JL's, but JL's western meals are still significantly better than AA's version. I've yet to have a steak on JL cooked more than Medium. Compared to AA/BA's hockey pucks, it's welcome relief.

If the cabin temperature bothers OP, like another poster suggests, JL may not be for you. I, however, prefer a warm cabin and find that some airlines keep their cabin far too cold for me to be able to sleep even with a blanket. It's a matter of preference, it's about as ludicrous to call JL a sauna as it is to call AA a freezer.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
As a tall person, 6'3.5" I struggle with the J product in AA. the cramped foot wells are terrible. I am a size14 shoe. In JAL J the cabin is definitely warmer and the staggered seats are bit cramped but having an ottoman to put my feet on was huge. I tend to also get into the first row 5 (777)so it's nice to have the mini cabin. AA 777 feels more spacious yet the footwell
really stinks for me.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:50 am
Original Poster

This has been really helpful. Your collective advice has helped me to decide to switch to the later JAL flight so I can spend more time in Tokyo and enjoy the Sky Suite.. I will be on the 77W via AA coming to Asia so this seems like I can report back if I made the right call.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
This has been really helpful. Your collective advice has helped me to decide to switch to the later JAL flight so I can spend more time in Tokyo and enjoy the Sky Suite.. I will be on the 77W via AA coming to Asia so this seems like I can report back if I made the right call.
Glad everything worked out and Tokyo is a great city even for a short layover tour. Just a quick reminder, AA seats on the 77W are exactly the same as CX ones, which doesn't really have a tight footwell problem. The problem is more for B/E SuperDiamond 772/789 J seats which I think the culprit is the tray table
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K
Glad it worked out. I really liked the Sky Suite on JAL and hope you enjoy it as well. Even though it feels a bit more cramped and storage is worse than the aisles, I found the window seats with the Sky Suites to be amazingly private and preferred window over aisle on my last TPAC trip where I flew window outbound and aisle return on JAL. Having flown AA’s 77W a number of times (and it being my favorite wide-body of US carriers), I think JAL’s J product compares very favorably, good luck on your trip!
roberto99 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Called AA and changed to this flight successfully. Now posting to the JAL board to get input on the best seat in J on the 777-200. For the 777-300 I have a window (5K) in the mini-cabin. Score!

Last edited by phxbarcelona; Dec 3, 2018 at 7:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.