Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA exp - denied boarding due to manifest issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA exp - denied boarding due to manifest issues

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Platinum
AA exp - denied boarding due to manifest issues - compensation due?

AA exp checked in, with DW and lap infant. Boarded the flight, flight delayed 30 minutes while they figure out manifest issues... Came to us, said they couldn't figure out the issue with our tickets, but they tried to fix it for the past 40 minites, so asked us to deplane so other passengers don't miss their connects. Very respectful, so we complied.

Flight was a paid fare (no miles or anything, fwiw).

Came back to the terminal and they figured out that the infant ticket tax hadn't been paid, so they asked me to pay for that. Somehow this was missed when we checked in this morning and checked two bags in for the infant. The gate agent who had checked us was pleading his case to his manager ("I checked them all in myself"). Since AA doesn't issue boarding passes for the infant, we only got the two boarding passes for the adults.

Anyways, by the time they figured this out, all flights had left. There was a chance to have us fly out through another connection, but the last two seats were given to two standby passengers after we were in the terminal. The lead gate agent confirmed that to me "I'm gonna have a talk with him afterwards, he should not have out them ahead of you".

Anyways now they're trying to book us on United so we get to our final destination tonight... (2 hours later than expected). Otherwise we will need to overnight and rebook for tomptomo.

They have been very respectful so far.. My question : .is this IDB, and are we owed any compensation? Not sure whether this qualifies for IDB (since I'm unsure about the manifest issue wrt infant).

Any guidance? Thanks in advance.

Deadlee

*Edit - detailed update in post below.
flight was from the US, connecting in Dallas to toronto. We were deplaned off our flight to Dallas.
Missed the subsequent United connection and now stranded in Denver overnight. United waived all responsibilties since american stock ticket, and AA on twitter "still looking into the matter.

Details in post below

Last edited by deadlee; Dec 3, 2018 at 2:15 am Reason: Edited subject
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Not a lawyer but as far as I know, federal IDB rules only apply to overbooked flights, so you likely aren't due cash compensation under the letter of the law. However, it sounds like the agents are aware that the screw-up was largely (entirely?) on their side, so hopefully they'd be willing to offer a voucher or miles as compensation.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:12 pm

Nothing to be done, it was manifest destiny.

Sorry about that.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Infant tax? As in the 10% fare + taxes for an infant on (most) international itineraries?
TWA884 and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not that it really matters, but what was your routing? I take it that it was international because the infant ticket would have been free on a domestic flight.

There is no compensation due here, but I would expect a significant customer service gesture. I would also expect AA to pick up any additional costs associated with flying UA, e.g., baggage fees, hotel (if overnight required), and so on.

Indeed, if there was an add/collect due, you should have been required to pay it at the counter. But, if you were permitted to board, I am not sure how that failure to collect affects the manifest.

This is one of those unfortunate situations where it pays to be polite but firm. At some point, if a crew member orders you to disembark, you do not have a choice. But, the "ask" so that other passengers are not inconvenienced should be met with, "I'm afraid that will not work for us. Please get your supervisor here."
trooper, Dad to Rei and donotblink like this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: MileagePlus,AAdvantage,Skymiles
if it was an international leg you do get an infant boarding pass that has NS printed in seat column thus making sure the tax has been paid in addition to the wording plus infant on your boarding pass
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
Not that it really matters, but what was your routing? I take it that it was international because the infant ticket would have been free on a domestic flight.

There is no compensation due here, but I would expect a significant customer service gesture. I would also expect AA to pick up any additional costs associated with flying UA, e.g., baggage fees, hotel (if overnight required), and so on.

Indeed, if there was an add/collect due, you should have been required to pay it at the counter. But, if you were permitted to board, I am not sure how that failure to collect affects the manifest.

This is one of those unfortunate situations where it pays to be polite but firm. At some point, if a crew member orders you to disembark, you do not have a choice. But, the "ask" so that other passengers are not inconvenienced should be met with, "I'm afraid that will not work for us. Please get your supervisor here."
I think the airlines really don't want another David Dao incident, I bet if the OP refused to get off, they would have just taken off without resolving the issue.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It would help to know the airport where this occurred and the routing. IDB is defined differently in different countries' laws.

Also, was this the first flight on the ticket/PNR? Otherwise, it would be difficult to see how an infant could have been properly ticketed on the outbound but not for the return.

How much were you eventually charged for the infant ticket? I hope AA didn't delay you a day for a trivial amount.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Compensation is definitely due here no matter if you want to call it an official IDB per legal definition or however else.

The airline screwed up the passengers ticketing, checked them in and then took them off the flight, causing the pax to be delayed for at least one day.

At least $500 per passenger!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
Escalate through twitter team. While you may not be technically entitled to IDB compensation, I have seen AA use the same amount for other accidental denied boarding incidents.

You should also feel pretty safe in refusing to de board. Everyone has smart phones, the PR nightmare of having the cops come on and forcibly remove a family with an infant is not something any airline wants to risk in the post-dr dao era. Once your seated with a valid ticket/BP the only way I'd be vacating my seat is if they offered enough compensation/rebooking that I voluntarily left.
canadiancow and arlflyer like this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Platinum
Update:
The trip was from tht states to yyz (so not truly intl, but also not domestic).

We got routed to yyz through Denver on United (by American). This entire process got rushed and this was the only way to make it to Toronto tonight. He gate agents coildcou confirm it until it was almost time for the flight to take odd, so rushed it. Didn't notice the connecting time in Denver was 35 Minutes, and the leg to yyz was operated by air Canada, from a different terminal. Landed in Denver, hustled to the gate (with a 15 month infant) in under 20 minutes only to discover Air Canada closed their flight early! The AC gate agent the said it was an illegal connection time (inter terminal minimum in Denver is supposedly 55 min).

Long story short, we're stranded in Denver overnight UA waives all responsibilities inclusinc for the illegall connection, bwcabec it was on an American issued stock (001 ticket).

By the time we make it to Toronto tomorrow, we would have less than 24 hours till we fly back. At this point, we are exhausted and will ask for a flight back home tomorrow (trip in vain).

Interesting side note: .we took a flight from SFO to DFW on Friday and we're stranded in DFW overnight since our connecting flight was cancelled due to weather. Tonight ends up being our second overnight stranded of this trip (same record locator on American).

Pretty darned exhausted and frustrated. Have reached out to americAm over twittwT (not much of a response yet).

Any guidance/advise most welcome!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Sorry to hear about your ordeal... sounds rough, especially with an infant.
My suggestion is that you once you get to home, hit AA on all fronts hard. The fact that the agent upon checking you in did not follow what was required, should be your starting point..
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by deadlee
Update:
The trip was from tht states to yyz (so not truly intl, but also not domestic).
IIRC lap infants to Canada/Mexico have taxes due but not 10% of the applicable adult fare. If you hadn't informed AA of infant travel and paid the taxes they'll argue (feet planted firmly) that you weren't ticketed correctly.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by ordsky
if it was an international leg you do get an infant boarding pass that has NS printed in seat column thus making sure the tax has been paid in addition to the wording plus infant on your boarding pass
Data point - I can confirm as my son and daughter in-law have to do this with their 1 year old daughter when traveling US --> Brazil. Even though she sits in lap, there is a 10% collection. Interestingly, I got them upgraded to J on JFK-GRU and the 10% was based on J fare.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Removed as not important after reading the update.

Last edited by mvoight; Dec 3, 2018 at 9:00 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.