Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

No Upgrade with Gold (Empty first class seats)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Upgrade with Gold (Empty first class seats)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jeffeverde
On the flip side, if your company covers PE or Biz for transcon flights (ask about their policy for 5+ hour flights), then weekly flights will put you in striking range of Concierge Key status. If that's the case, I'd definitely look at some EQD-earning mileage runs to put me over 40k EQD.
Let's not put silly ideas in the poor boy's head. There might be a couple 40k EQD CKs running around out there, but they did that in like 4 segments. The CK calculation appears to be profit-based, which means hitting the highest spend with the lowest miles. Transcons in J ain't gonna get you there for 40k.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Raymond Lattanzio
Hello Fellow Flyers,

Had a rather unpleasant experience yesterday with American and wondering if someone can offer some insight. I currently have Gold Status and was flying from Charlotte, NC to Mexico City (over 500 miles). I asked the Gate Agent if there were any first class seats available and was told yes, but that I would have to use my 500-mile upgrades to pay for it. Even if the seats sat empty, they would not upgrade me to first class unless I paid using 500-mile upgrades.
Why did you not use the 500 mile certificates? It is a rare day indeed they have any use and MEX would allow lounge access in J to boot.
They have rules and first class or business in this case is not a free destination for anyone remotely eligible, particularly with the whole 500 mile certificate system existing for this very purpose. I have almost 100 that I never use that will die on the vine when I do but in this case I'd have jumped at the offer vs sit in coach.
Was it a case of cutting off the nose to spite the face? Where was the rudeness? Disappointing truthful answers are not rude, just disappointing.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
I understand your point I do, but I suppose my point in my post was really do any golds/plats/plat pro see any chance to upgrade, period? I ask as I'm batting 35% for upgrades out of DFW as a lowly $18K EQD customer and usually end up around 8-12 on any upgrade list.
I only spent about 16 months between zero and EXP (about half/half GLD/PLT, in 2015-2016 before PRO existed) but during that time I requested sticker upgrades on every flight, and got a few...but it was rare enough that my sticker balance steadily increased. I anticipate that's true for most flyers. I ended up with 18 of them and have been EXP ever since.

I agree in principle with the idea that having stickers instead of automatic-upgrade-at-all-tiers improves one's chances on the flights they care about. In practice, I'm a lot less sure. And this is definitely at the margin; on all of the big three, the first-approximation answer to "will I get an upgrade as a low-tier elite" is "no."
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Let's not put silly ideas in the poor boy's head. There might be a couple 40k EQD CKs running around out there, but they did that in like 4 segments. The CK calculation appears to be profit-based, which means hitting the highest spend with the lowest miles. Transcons in J ain't gonna get you there for 40k.
My DW has 3 work associates who are CK. One flies to Europe monthly, plus some domestic, the other two are all domestic, and all have travel budgets in the 40-50k range. I don't know if who they work for (one of the big 4 accounting firms) might have influenced AA's decision - but all 3 say that they did not use company connections to get the status

ETA - Granted - all 3 do that level of travel year after year. I didn't ask how many years they were doing that level of spend before being granted CK

Last edited by jeffeverde; Dec 2, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I understand your point I do, but I suppose my point in my post was really do any golds/plats/plat pro see any chance to upgrade, period? I ask as I'm batting 35% for upgrades out of DFW as a lowly $18K EQD customer and usually end up around 8-12 on any upgrade list.
I moved to the area a year ago... My only upgrade on AA (AA PLT) this year has been on Labor Day LAX-DFW... (My outbound the prior Friday also got upgraded, DAL-DFW on AS, as MVP Gold)
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by jeffeverde
My DW has 3 work associates who are CK. One flies to Europe monthly, plus some domestic, the other two are all domestic, and all have travel budgets in the 40-50k range. I don't know if who they work for (one of the big 4 accounting firms) might have influenced AA's decision - but all 3 say that they did not use company connections to get the status

ETA - Granted - all 3 do that level of travel year after year. I didn't ask how many years they were doing that level of spend before being granted CK
This is all well outside what you'd expect based on the thread on the subject.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
+1

And take a look at the DL upgrade thread in the DL forum before you do. Good luck ever getting an upgrade there with bottom-tier status!
Yeah, so true. My wife and I were successfully upgraded as AA Golds on a few flights. Now on DL and I see things like "41 of 46" on the upgrade lists. The use of stickers with AA does seem to give passengers pause before checking the box. And Skymile redemptions are like using AAnytime awards in value.

I'm still sticking with DL for now though - the actual travel experience has been better with them (not as much an LCC feel) which is more important to me than the FF program since I'm not much of frequent flier (compared to road warriors).

Edit: And welcome to FT, Raymond! Now that you know how it goes, keep in mind that if you do not have enough "stickers" you can still request the upgrades and you will pay $40 each if your upgrade clears.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:46 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Gig103
Yeah, so true. My wife and I were successfully upgraded as AA Golds on a few flights. Now on DL and I see things like "41 of 46" on the upgrade lists. The use of stickers with AA does seem to give passengers pause before checking the box. And Skymile redemptions are like using AAnytime awards in value.
This is key. The current AA program gives Golds a fighting chance on routes where other Golds and Plats don't want to buy chits or use the ones they have. I had great luck as a Gold in 2018 with upgrades using chits on the >500 mile routes. On the <500 routes, the list was often 40+ people long simply because it was a free-for-all. Highly discouraging.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Everybody wants a program which benefits their particular situation. That's entirely fair. But, it's not realistic.

Put simply. nobody turns down freebie UG's other than for social reasons. But, if forced to burn stickers, people who routinely fly on 501 mile+ flights have to either pick and choose or purchase lots of stickers. If Passenger A saves stickers for a TCON, he is not "competing" for that UG on a midcon. But, passenger B, who doesn't fly TCON, is willing to burn his stickers on the midcon and has a chance.

That leaves the empty seats issue. That is plain and simple brand maintenance and does not reward the gamesplaying that would lead to, e.g., "should I burn stickers for an UG which I met get anyway?"
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Today during boarding while on the plane a pax asks if FC is full and the FAs reply was “FC is always full”
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
I’m amazed at that. At least out of DFW I’ve never seen an empty seat
I flew DFW-SFO in October. (Departed around 3:00 pm.) The seat next to me remained vacant and there were people on the upgrade list. Go figure.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Raymond Lattanzio
Hello Fellow Flyers,

Had a rather unpleasant experience yesterday with American and wondering if someone can offer some insight. I currently have Gold Status and was flying from Charlotte, NC to Mexico City (over 500 miles). I asked the Gate Agent if there were any first class seats available and was told yes, but that I would have to use my 500-mile upgrades to pay for it. Even if the seats sat empty, they would not upgrade me to first class unless I paid using 500-mile upgrades. After dealing with a rude and unhelpful gate agent, I finally conceded to sit in the main cabin. When boarding the plane I again asked the Flight Attendant if it was true that they would let the seats in First Class sit empty rather than upgrading someone with Gold Status for free, they confirmed this was true. Is this really the case??
They were right and you were wrong. Check the rules. Was the agent really rude, or did you just think it was rude to be denied?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:34 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
It seems that whatever can be said about this scenario, and AA’s upgrade policy using 500-mile upgrades has already been said. So we will close this thread for now. Thanks for your participation.

/Moderator
ijgordon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.