Where did AA Hong Kong Website go?

Old Dec 1, 18, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, GA Gold, CX Green
Where did AA Hong Kong Website go?

I usually use my Indonesian card to book my flights and I can do that through AA HK site with their HKD currency. Now it's not listed in the "choose your country" page. Dont tell me i have to pay in RMB now?
Old Dec 1, 18, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BB8Dreamliner View Post
I usually use my Indonesian card to book my flights and I can do that through AA HK site with their HKD currency. Now it's not listed in the "choose your country" page. Don't tell me I have to pay in RMB now?
Hong Kong is not a country. The Chinese government has in the last year or so requested to several airlines & hotel chains not to list Hong Kong & Taiwan as independent countries on their web sites.
Old Dec 1, 18, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Hong Kong is not a country. The Chinese government has in the last year or so requested to several airlines & hotel chains not to list Hong Kong & Taiwan as independent countries on their web sites.
Sorry, i meant the "Select Country/Region" page: https://www.aa.com/pubcontent/en_US/interceptor.jsp

I understand that and after the protest, they still had the separate Chinese and Hong kong site and they just changed the wording rom select your "country" to "country/region" last year. People still do want to pay in HKD.
Old Dec 1, 18, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Eh? Neither are Guadeloupe, Puerto Rico, etc. but they are options. AA.com says Country/Region anyhow. HK is most definitely a Region (SAR).

If this really is China (or should I say "Greater China") pressuring US companies into taking away HKD payment options, yikes.
Old Dec 1, 18, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Update: Found it, it's under the 繁體中文 / Traditional Chinese option (second one from the list), then you can click English when you enter the site. They did a good job hiding it from the Chinese. sneAAky.

Rather than explicitly saying "Hong Kong ���� "on the top of the page, they left it blank. However, payments are in HKD.

Last edited by BB8Dreamliner; Dec 1, 18 at 3:30 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: