Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Checked baggage DFW & MIA “ITI” international to international transit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold MillionMiler

Does Miami airport automatically transfer checked baggage arriving from a European flight on Iberia or BA to an international caribbean destination on AA without making me claim it, clear customs and recheck it?

Earlier this year when I was arriving on an AA flight from Madrid and transferring in Miami to an AA flight going to St. Kitts they transferred my checked bag through without me having to claim it for customs inspection, which was great and makes sense since there is no US customs reason to deal with the bags.

This time I'll be arriving from Madrid on Iberia and transferring in Miami to an AA flight going to St. Kitts and I'll be having friends who are arriving on BA from LHR and transferring to the same AA flight to St. Kitts. Should we expect to have to claim the luggage upon arriving from the European flights, clear them through customs and then put them back on the belt so that they can be put on the international AA flight to SKB or will the airport take the necessary steps to just transfer the bags from one flight to the next?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Miami International Airport DOES have international-to-international direct checked baggage transfers, but only on select routes where CBP has given approval. I believe the program was originally for those transiting through MIA to/from select Canadian cities. But perhaps the program has been expanded beyond Canada.

My suggestion: contact the originating carrier (Iberia) and ask. Or ask at check-in at MAD. Do not expect to be have your bags transferred directly. That way, you will be pleasantly surprised if they are! (personally, I doubt they will be, since you are inbound from Europe and connecting onward to the Caribbean)
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
MIA is one of two airports with International to International “ITI” red tag through check baggage service (the other is DFW). Request it in your airport of origin as you check baggage.

As it states in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...onnection.html,

...”if you are connecting international to international and have red "ITI" tags on your checked baggage. You will have to produce the (US Customs) Form 6059B and still pass through USCBP, albeit without baggage.”
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: spg plat, AA PLAT, Hertz 5 star
I did this twice this year through Miami. Once on BA and the other on AA, starting from Trinidad and going to London and back. Worked very well.

I have another one coming up in a few weeks but this time I will start in Trinidad, then to MIA, then JFK then LHR. All of that is same day, the lay over at MIA is approx 3 hours then at JFK where its another 1.5 hours before the LHR flight. Would ITI work here or the JFK part will spoil things?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Valmiki
I did this twice this year through Miami. Once on BA and the other on AA, starting from Trinidad and going to London and back. Worked very well.

I have another one coming up in a few weeks but this time I will start in Trinidad, then to MIA, then JFK then LHR. All of that is same day, the lay over at MIA is approx 3 hours then at JFK where its another 1.5 hours before the LHR flight. Would ITI work here or the JFK part will spoil things?
The JFK part will spoil things, as it won't be an international-international transfer.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
International to International Connection at DFW: No Bag Reclaim?

Hi All,

Just checked in at SCL for a flight to WAW via DFW and LHR. I've never made an international to international connection at DFW before, but expected to have to reclaim my bag at DFW. Agent at SCL put a red international to international sticker on the bag and told me I don't have to claim it in DFW. Is this really a thing?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Hi All,

Just checked in at SCL for a flight to WAW via DFW and LHR. I've never made an international to international connection at DFW before, but expected to have to reclaim my bag at DFW. Agent at SCL put a red international to international sticker on the bag and told me I don't have to claim it in DFW. Is this really a thing?
That's correct. I was going from BOG-YYZ via DFW and was told I would not retrieve my bag going through DFW since it would be inspected by Canadian customs. I'm sure there's a my thorough answer out there.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:12 pm

Yes, you will not have to claim in DFW.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I-T-I is available at several US POE's which have substantial international transfer traffic. It is also dependent on a carrier's willingness to participate in the program as there are some additional security requirements for I-T-I tagged bags while on the ground at DFW.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Just to clarify, we are talking about I-T-I for checked luggage ONLY. Each individual traveler still must clear US FIS (Federal Inspection Services) with carry-on luggage, then proceed to TSA security and to the onward international departing flight. The USA does not allow international connecting passengers to skip primary passport control processing, since airports are not set up to separate international from domestic passenger zones, nor does the USA operate routine exit immigration checkpoints.

Also, I think this checked bag I-T-I procedure is available ONLY when transiting via DFW/MIA/? to select international locations, like Canada and possibly some EU cities (not totally sure). But not just any international location.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Just to clarify, we are talking about I-T-I for checked luggage ONLY. Each individual traveler still must clear US FIS (Federal Inspection Services) with carry-on luggage, then proceed to TSA security and to the onward international departing flight.

Also, I think this checked bag I-T-I procedure is available ONLY when transiting via DFW/MIA/? to select international locations, like Canada and possibly some EU cities (not totally sure). But not just any international location.
While I can’t speak to other destinations, I have had it between Chile and Korea (and the reverse) via DFW.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
When did this start?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:50 pm

It used to be limited, IIRC, but was expanded to all origins/destinations, as far as I know.

Only DFW/MIA have ITI on AA*. I don’t know if other US majors offer it at their respective hubs, though I’ve never heard of it.

*BA as well, when connecting to/from AA.

Originally Posted by Antarius
When did this start?
My first ITI transfer was in 2012, BA to AA. I don’t believe AA was doing ITI across the board yet, though. Becuase I didn’t get the ITI transfer on my AA-AA return.
Antarius likes this.

Last edited by Djokison; Dec 1, 2018 at 8:07 am
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
I can't point to any documentation, but at international baggage claim in MIA one of the repeated announcements on the PA system is that flyers connecting to another international flight do not have to reclaim their luggage. They don't list any exceptions based on country of destination.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Just to clarify, we are talking about I-T-I for checked luggage ONLY. Each individual traveler still must clear US FIS (Federal Inspection Services) with carry-on luggage, then proceed to TSA security and to the onward international departing flight. The USA does not allow international connecting passengers to skip primary passport control processing, since airports are not set up to separate international from domestic passenger zones, nor does the USA operate routine exit immigration checkpoints.
And, as far as I know, you must also still have a valid visa or ESTA if your passport is not from a visa-exempt country. (I have a US passport, so I'm no expert.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.