FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA A321T 3 class Flagship 2x a day BOS-LAX 2 Apr - 5 Sep 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1942980-aa-a321t-3-class-flagship-2x-day-bos-lax-2-apr-5-sep-2019-a.html)

footballfanatic May 5, 2019 4:30 am

Why not use the lie flat 757-200s? Too big?

AA2070 May 5, 2019 5:32 am

Originally Posted by footballfanatic (Post 31068624)

30 premium seats in the 321T. 16/20 in the (cheap looking, stripped of IFE, plastic “device holders”, and gogo instead of viasat) 752s.

golfingboy May 5, 2019 10:13 am

Originally Posted by ralphs (Post 31068414)
I see a 777 on the schedule LAX-MIA on, say, Oct 30. Perhaps it is a 772 and not a 773, and AA wants to discriminate between the two?

Yes it is a 772. If you book on aa.com and expand the details the site will specify 772.

golfingboy May 5, 2019 11:55 am

Originally Posted by footballfanatic (Post 31068624)

Probably less about being too big and more about availability of the 752s. AA only has 24 in the fleet and in the summer the 757s are all prioritized for TATL and South America missions. They do some short turn trips in between (i.e. up and down the east coast) but they absolutely can't reposition those birds to say BOS to fly BOS-LAX and return then back to PHL/MIA/DFW to fly the missions they need to fly.

AA certainly could use the 752s from Nov-Apr, but this means they will be bringing in an inconsistent product to the market if they keep switching equipment type during the year.

kanny May 6, 2019 3:45 pm

Thanks for the data point!

Originally Posted by lrdpenn (Post 31064090)
I am fairly sure op ups are happening.

On a recent BOS-LAX on the A321T I was upgraded T-24 hrs Y to J as plat. At T-48 hrs, all F seats were open, all J seats unavailable, same number of J and F seats (6 or 7) for sale. After I was upgraded there was still the same number of J and F seats for sale (but only 1). I was assigned a seat at the gate. It seems like J and F were almost treated jointly for availability and a cabin roll had everyone seated. Maybe this route is managed differently from JFK routes due to insufficient F demand.

lightbulbs May 6, 2019 8:27 pm

It’s interesting they think they can get a better yield on LAX/BOS than adding a frequency to LAX or SFO/JFK. Seems like the yields on the other routes would still have more premium demand willing to pay the much higher fares for J/F on these birds. I wonder how much of the LA based entertainment flyers need to go to BOS...

footballfanatic May 7, 2019 4:35 am

Originally Posted by lightbulbs (Post 31074446)
It’s interesting they think they can get a better yield on LAX/BOS than adding a frequency to LAX or SFO/JFK. Seems like the yields on the other routes would still have more premium demand willing to pay the much higher fares for J/F on these birds. I wonder how much of the LA based entertainment flyers need to go to BOS...

what about BOS based flyers?

lightbulbs May 7, 2019 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by footballfanatic (Post 31075176)

what about BOS based flyers?

it was my understanding a healthy amount of the F demand is filled by the entertainment industry for which NY is a logical top tier destination

As for Boston based flyers:
1) wouldn’t have imagined it is a market that would better monetize three class aircraft any more than some of the other large metros that AA serves and less than LA based flyers
2) isn’t a hub for AA like LA is and hence I would imagine would have much less Origin flying on AA than vice versa.
3) not sure why LA would be a top destination for Boston over say SF that would connect the tech and pharma industries that have presence in both cities
4) with B6 strong presence in Boston I imagine Boston based flyers wanting to fly west in premium cabins have some good choices already on B6

DWFI May 7, 2019 10:57 pm

Another day, another upg.

T-101, J had 13 unoccupied seats, F had 8. Cleared at T-100 into J.
Day of departure both J and F full. F appeared to be rolls from J, J had at least a few D1 pax. Y not full.

jacca83 May 8, 2019 7:35 am

Originally Posted by DWFI (Post 31078266)
Another day, another upg.

T-101, J had 13 unoccupied seats, F had 8. Cleared at T-100 into J.
Day of departure both J and F full. F appeared to be rolls from J, J had at least a few D1 pax. Y not full.

This plane will be pulled off the route within one year, if that long.

teemuflyer May 8, 2019 7:47 am

Originally Posted by jacca83 (Post 31079234)

I hope they put it on the AUS-DFW route instead. Would be super useful for me.:p

DWFI May 8, 2019 11:24 am

Originally Posted by jacca83 (Post 31079234)

It's the wrong plane. They need a 16J aircraft.
That being said, my upgrade rate was also 100% on the normal domestic 321S they have been running otherwise - before, they had the wrong product and were too expensive, now they're just too expensive.

UA has no problem filling a 16J 752 on BOS-LAX and BOS-SFO and occasionally a 28J on BOS-SFO, albeit with some of the aggressive discounting mentioned upthread.

upinsmoke May 8, 2019 11:29 am

I think the issue for AA is the lack of a 2-class narrowbody where J is full-flat (edit: other than the 752s that are used elsewhere). The F cabin in the A321T is under-utilized in BOS-LAX, but the recliners on the 737 or A321S are dreadful compared to the Mint seats for a 6 hour flight. So paid J business goes to B6 based on the hard product unless AA gets the flat seats in there.

jacca83 May 8, 2019 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by DWFI (Post 31080138)
It's the wrong plane. They need a 16J aircraft.
That being said, my upgrade rate was also 100% on the normal domestic 321S they have been running otherwise - before, they had the wrong product and were too expensive, now they're just too expensive.

UA has no problem filling a 16J 752 on BOS-LAX and BOS-SFO and occasionally a 28J on BOS-SFO, albeit with some of the aggressive discounting mentioned upthread.

Agreed. I know they no longer want to create subfleets, but either make a subfleet of 321s with lie flats or at least deploy the 757L and use the tablets.

DWFI May 8, 2019 6:53 pm

Speculating, it is also possible that AA knows they will never sell F and knows that 30 seats is too many, and they're merely using this as an experiment (because they have no spare 75Ls) to test revenue premiums in the J cabin on the route to explore viability of a 321 16J subfleet for this route and others (JFK-SAN/SEA/LAS, etc).