Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award ticket 24 hour layover

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Award ticket 24 hour layover

guys - does americna offer any layovers in europe through partners. I'm going new york to mumbai but hoping to see some city in between with the same 70k in business while receiving my luggage directly in mumbai

Thx
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:47 pm

AS long as you are less than 24 hr you can find some nice layovers. I would rather hit HKG for a less 24 hour layover as it is very easy to get to and from airport
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sam007
guys - does American offer any layovers in Europe through partners. I'm going New York to Mumbai but hoping to see some city in between with the same 70k in business while receiving my luggage directly in Mumbai
AA awards now do not allow layovers. Been that way for several years.
The best you do is a 23:59 hr transit.

Edit
BOM airports with airlines (may not be up to date) Limited options with AA ff partners
----> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chhatr...tional_Airport

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 28, 2018 at 9:56 pm Reason: Added BOM link
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
AA awards now do not allow layovers. Been that way for several years.
The best you do is a 23:59 hr transit.
You mean a stopover (which is over 24 hours on international itin's). A layover is anything less than 24 hours.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LBJ
You mean a stopover (which is over 24 hours on international itin's). A layover is anything less than 24 hours.
"layover" is not defined by IATA as being a standard term , so just a dictionary meaning would apply which from Oxford Dictionary is "A period of rest or waiting before a further stage in a journey." , so can be any duraton whether a stopover or is just a transit point

Stopover does have a definition and , in most cases, is 24+ hours
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:48 pm

guys - does americna offer any layovers in europe through partners. I'm going new york to mumbai but hoping to see some city in between with the same 70k in business while receiving my luggage directly in mumbai

Thx
it has to be less than 24 hours which is doable if you land in the afternoon and take flight to Mumbai flight the next morning.
I think only BA flies to Mumbai so your options are limited to London. I don’t think IB or AY fly to Mumbai but I could be wrong
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold

Thx
What is your final stop?
Do you have an Indian Visa?
If you are planning to stop in Mumbai for a short time, you will have to clear customs etc... that depending on the time of day or night, can take a while
even in the first/business line, because no one checks tickets and that is the first line in the custom hall
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:57 am

I have done Hong Kong and Helsinki on an extended stop under 24 hours using AA award en route to India.

Both were easy airports to get in and out of the city but if I had to choose one, I'd recommend Hong Kong. There's plenty to do for all time limits, tastes and budgets. Flying Cathay is also a much more enjoyable experience than Finnair. I'd avoid London as your stopover since it's a longer journey in and out of the city.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by fotographer
What is your final stop?
Do you have an Indian Visa?
If you are planning to stop in Mumbai for a short time, you will have to clear customs etc... that depending on the time of day or night, can take a while
even in the first/business line, because no one checks tickets and that is the first line in the custom hall
The OP is not inquiring about connecting in India. He is asking about the possibility of having a long connection in Europe, en-route to his final destination of BOM.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
The OP is not inquiring about connecting in India. He is asking about the possibility of having a long connection in Europe, en-route to his final destination of BOM.
correct hoping for at least a 24 hour connection in europe, istanbul or any other interesting place in between where I don't have to take my bags out of the airport
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If you break your journey for more than 24 hours your award will be priced as aaa-bbb + bbb-ccc. AA killed the limited free stopover benefit years ago.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

correct hoping for at least a 24 hour connection in europe, istanbul or any other interesting place in between where I don't have to take my bags out of the airport
Note that on an international award, you are entitled to up to 24 hours to connect at each transit point on the award, so you might be able to arrange two long connections on your itinerary, if desired. And, since EY and QR are both AAdvantage partners, you might be able to have a long connection in Europe, and another one in Abu Dhabi or Doha, subject to flight schedules and award-routing rules.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

when i called american, they said they can only do 2 separate award tickets which in total adds up to much more than just one award ticket to mumbai
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when i called american, they said they can only do 2 separate award tickets which in total adds up to much more than just one award ticket to mumbai
It depends on the award-routing rules of the carriers on your award. Exactly what did you say to the AA agent? If you led the agent to believe that you wanted more than 24 hours in the transit city, then the agent was correct.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Imagine that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.