Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Reason to dump Citi Exec CC / Admiral Club since Centurion is coming to CLT?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX

Link to post in Travel and Dining forum
AA closed the lounge at GSO in October. When we moved from Charlotte to outside of Greensboro a lounge at our "home" airport was a big reason to keep the Citi AAdvantage card (and pay the fee). Since we mostly connect through CLT I'm thinking of dumping this expense next year. CLT is the reason we will keep the card this year since my husband has so many layovers there. Any experience comparing the two lounges? Any reason to keep the Citi card (i.e. location, hours available, etc)?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Even if I have access to th AA flagship lounge and there is a centurion lounge there, I’ll always choose the centurion lounge.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by chanp
Even if I have access to th AA flagship lounge and there is a centurion lounge there, I’ll always choose the centurion lounge.
- In my experience, AA flagship lounges (I've only been to JFK and LAX) are better than Centurion lounges
- Centurion lounges, while good, tend to be very crowded, and may not be located close to your gate (and AA lounge may be more convenient)

If you connect mainly through Concourse D & E (I forget where most of the American flights are), it could make sense to drop AA club membership and focus on Centurion lounges.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA , 3MM, CK, Marriott Titanim
Agreed....Flagship much better than Centurion....not even close

I would say that Centurion tends to be better than Admirals Clubs though....
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:56 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Wasn't there a lounge along the hallway leading to D at some point that later was used as a crew room? I wonder if this will be space for the Centurion lounge.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by PHL
Wasn't there a lounge along the hallway leading to D at some point that later was used as a crew room? I wonder if this will be space for the Centurion lounge.
The old D club was between gates D2 and D3, where the mini-food court is now. I have no specific knowledge, but I'm guessing this is going to be part of that big expansion they've been working on by the escalators down to E?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adelphos
- In my experience, AA flagship lounges (I've only been to JFK and LAX) are better than Centurion lounges
- Centurion lounges, while good, tend to be very crowded, and may not be located close to your gate (and AA lounge may be more convenient)

If you connect mainly through Concourse D & E (I forget where most of the American flights are), it could make sense to drop AA club membership and focus on Centurion lounges.
Thank you for your answer but this made me laugh! It's CLT and AA, so all paths lead to...AA. We had to walk farther at LHR, from the club to our gate (same terminal) than I've had to traverse through CLT from E to B. I'll see how the husband likes the new lounge/location.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
flagship > centurion > Admiral club.

i only go to centuion club if I dont have access to flagship..
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:11 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
The Centurion Lounge will be part of the East Terminal expansion on the 3rd floor on the D/E Connector-where they are also constructing a new food court.

I personally believe that AA will open a new Admirals Club at the airport considering all of the new gates coming online within the next two years in A and E.

Years ago when US was in Star there was talk of US and LH opening up a joint International J lounge near the D gates but nothing came up of it.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
I just want to say RIP GSO club! One of my favorites. Since it’s closure, I have shifted much of my outbounds to RDU and MYR.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:58 am

Great news! If they can manage the crowds which plague Centurion Lounges just about everywhere else, this is a nice addition to CLT.

As much as I'd love a Flagship Lounge in CLT, I don't see it happening.

Right now I think AA serves/plans to serve about 9 eligible international destinations: Barcelona, Dublin, Frankfurt, London, Madrid, Mexico City, Munich, Paris and Rome. Some are seasonal, so for part of you the year you may have 7-8 eligible flights. That, combined with a couple hundred CK's passing through the airport daily... Not sure it makes sense. Plus, you'd have 80% of them coming in prior to the overnight Europe bank, so you'd need to build a very large club which would be deserted for much of the day.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:44 am

OP, please keep in mind that the most valuable aspect of AC membership - in saving time, money, sanity, client meetings, etc. - is not the towers of free snack mix, but rather the assistance of the desk agents when things go south. When that flight is canceled, you run to the AC, and the AAgent does some magic on the spot, in many cases that is worth the price of a membership right there. Otherwise it's going to be hours on the phone, even as an elite.

Originally Posted by dave_261
As much as I'd love a Flagship Lounge in CLT, I don't see it happening.
Dunno; all the international flights you list seem like enough to support it to me. What you describe is pretty much the dynamic of all U.S. lounges; U.S. airports aren't like DXB or other places where international flights are coming/going constantly - there's pretty much one bank per day.
legalalien likes this.

Last edited by arlflyer; Nov 29, 2018 at 7:12 am
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by arlflyer
OP, please keep in mind that the most valuable aspect of AC membership - in saving time, money, sanity, client meetings, etc. - aspect is not the towers of free snack mix, but rather the assistance of the desk agents when things go south. When that flight is canceled, you run to the AC, and the AAgent does some magic on the spot, in many cases that is worth the price of a membership right there. Otherwise it's going to be hours on the phone, even as an elite.

Dunno; all the international flights you list seem like enough to support it to me. What you describe is pretty much the dynamic of all U.S. lounges; U.S. airports aren't like DXB or other places where international flights are coming/going constantly - there's pretty much one bank per day.
Exactly the value I see is being able to get immediate attention without being on the phone. Not to mention having questions answered when the gate can't seem to tell you what's going on with the a/c (AC staff being able to phone Operations direct.) If I want a really good meal the airport is generally not the best place to be. And the last thing I want is a crowded club. Most of the ACs have areas that are fairly empty.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
OP, please keep in mind that the most valuable aspect of AC membership - in saving time, money, sanity, client meetings, etc. - is not the towers of free snack mix, but rather the assistance of the desk agents when things go south. When that flight is canceled, you run to the AC, and the AAgent does some magic on the spot, in many cases that is worth the price of a membership right there. Otherwise it's going to be hours on the phone, even as an elite.
Exactly my experience this past July when everything was going haywire for flights into JFK out of Charlotte because of bad weather. I got prompt, effective help inside the CLT club that I found worth the price of having the AA card for club access. And reports about all the other Centurion clubs have emphasized issues with overcrowding.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Excellent point! I'll keep the card. The Centurian Lounge will be a nice addition and maybe even lessen the crowds in the AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.