Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA & China Southern Airlines / CZ Expand Partnership & Lounge Access

Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Effective 20 Mar 2019, AA flyers can earn award mileson CZ marketed flights operated by AA and CZ, and can redeem AAdvantage miles for MileSAAver awards on China Southern / CZ.

See Earning AAdvantage Miles on China Southern Airlines / CZ

See Redeem AAdvantage Awards Using China Southern Airlines / CZ
AA sent out a press release this morning detailing the expansion of its partnership with CZ. This news was probably expected by most once CZ announced its decision to leave SkyTeam. Overall, I suppose this is pretty good news for those who fly AA, as there will be more meaningful connection opportunities from PEK and PVG.

American expansion on China Southern:

• From PEK:
    • Sanya Phoenix International Airport (SYX)
    • Haikou Meilan International Airport (HAK)
    • Guilin Liangjiang International Airport (KWL)
    • Guiyang Longdongbao International Airport (KWE)
    • Urumqi Diwopu International Airport (URC)
  • From PVG:
    • SYX
    • Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport (CAN)
    • Shenyang Taoxian International Airport (SHE)
    • Changsha Huanghua International Airport (CSX)
    • Shenzhen Bao’an International Airport (SZX)
    • Dalian Zhoushuizi International Airport (DLC)
    • Harbin Taiping International Airport (HRB)
    • Changchun Longjia International Airport (CGQ)
    • Zhengzhou Xinzheng International Airport (CGO)

China Southern expansion on American:

• From LAX:
    • ATL, BOS, DEN, DFW, HNL, IAD, LAS, MCO, PDX, SEA, SJC, SLC, TUS
  • From SFO:
    • CLT, JFK, LAX, MIA, ORD, PHL
  • From JFK:
    • BOS, DFW, LAX, MCO, MIA, PHX, RDU, SAN

Long-haul codeshare

• American and China Southern will also begin codesharing on each other’s trans-Pacific flights between the U.S. and China.
  • American will place its AA* code on the following China Southern flights:
    • From LAX:
      • CAN
      • SHE (service starts December 2018)
    • From SFO:
      • CAN
      • Wuhan Tianhe International Airport (WUH)
    • From JFK:
      • CAN
  • China Southern will place its CZ* code on the following American flights:
    • From DFW:
      • PEK
      • PVG
    • From LAX:
      • PEK
      • PVG

Reciprocal FFP and Lounge Benefits Coming in 2019

American and China Southern will also launched reciprocal frequent flyer benefits, giving customers the ability to earn and redeem miles on the other carrier’s flights.

Additionally, American and China Southern began offering reciprocal lounge access 1 Aug 2019. Eligible American Airlines customers will have access to selected China Southern Sky Pearl Lounges throughout Asia and eligible China Southern customers have access to selected American Airlines lounges around the world.

From The Points Guy: “Starting Thursday (1 Aug 2019), qualifying American Airlines customers will have access to China Southern’s 38 Sky Pearl lounges located in 23 mainland China airports. For the purposes of this lounge benefit, qualifying AA customers include:
  • Admirals Club members in any cabin if flying an AA-operated international flight as part of the same itinerary
  • American Airlines Platinum, Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum elites in any cabin on an American Airlines- or China Southern-operated flight
  • First/business class customers”

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 1, 2019 at 11:25 pm Reason: Add earning and redemption moderator note
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
American Airlines and China Southern Airlines to Expand Partnership

Looks like Cathay may be leaving OW sooner rather than later. Interesting shakeup with OW as RAM and AS looking to join as Full Member and Connect Member in respect. Win for Americans who want to head to China where CX does not serve.

Newsroom - American Airlines and China Southern Airlines to Expand Partnership - American Airlines Group, Inc.

Please merge as I didnt see the thread already.

Last edited by Pasqualle7; Nov 28, 2018 at 10:18 am Reason: Merge as the thread exists.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Pasqualle7
Looks like Cathay may be leaving OW sooner rather than later. Interesting shakeup with OW as RAM and AS looking to join as Full Member and Connect Member in respect. Win for Americans who want to head to China where CX does not serve.

Newsroom - American Airlines and China Southern Airlines to Expand Partnership - American Airlines Group, Inc.

Airlines partner with non-alliance airlines all the time. This doesn't mean CX is leaving OW. In fact CZ has stated they don't want to be tied into cost of an alliance, at least short term. As for AS they're only looking at "Connect" status with OW. Even then I question if there'll be any pushback by DOJ with AA and AS becoming closer friends.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott

CX forum has better insights into this, especially the relationship between CX and CA.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...ration-aa.html

Simply put, SQ/TG/BR/OZ won't let CX to join *A.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Looks like Cathay may be leaving OW sooner rather than later.
What leads you to this conclusion? CX is the king of China in OW and also has its toes in *A thanks to CA.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
CX forum has better insights into this, especially the relationship between CX and CA.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...ration-aa.html
I think you may havet your airline codes mixed up. CA is an airline code for Air China, which is not being discussed here at all. The airline code for China Southern is CZ, not CX or CA. CX is the airline code for Cathay Pacific.

Last edited by sdsearch; Nov 28, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I think you may havet your airline codes mixed up. CA is an airline code for Air China, which is not being discussed here at all. The airline code for China Southern is CZ, not CX or CA. CX is the airline code for Cathay Pacific.
CX and CA have a relationship. Not everything relationship must be within an alliance. I may be reading it differently. However I thought poster was meaning the relationship with CA has a bearing on how much the issue of CZ means to CX. However you're reading also looks possible.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
If I said AC then I would have been wrong, but CA is not wrong...The whole "CX is leaving OW to join *A" is basically because of CA.

As someone who flew more on CX metal than AA, I know what I am talking about...
swingaling likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:33 pm

I brought up CA because it is very much relevant to CX. When CA makes money, CX makes money and vice versa. Furthermore, being split between *A and OW allows each to reap the best of both worlds.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
IME CZ quit ST because it didn’t get along well with other members in the alliance and the ST restricts the number of codeshare flights/partners outside the alliance. As a result I don’t really see much of the opportunity of CZ taking the place of CX AA’s the Oneworld feed into East Asia.

I am curious, though, about the extent of the cooperation. Is it like AA/AS before where I can get EQMs on CZ? If that’s the case it would potentially be easier to qualify for AA status given the cheap business class fares CZ offers...
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by shd9
I am curious, though, about the extent of the cooperation. Is it like AA/AS before where I can get EQMs on CZ? If that’s the case it would potentially be easier to qualify for AA status given the cheap business class fares CZ offers...
That appears to be the case. It's looking like CZ will earn EQM (and perhaps EQD) on AA. No details as yet, but it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium,
This is great news. CX can only cover some traffic into/out of China, OW doesn't really have anything within China. this will make my trip planning much simpler next year.
I believe CA owns part of CX via some sort of stock offering deal couple of years ago. with CA in Star, MU remains in SkyTeam, CZ will be a great addition to OW down the road.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by 350zrx330
This is great news. CX can only cover some traffic into/out of China, OW doesn't really have anything within China. this will make my trip planning much simpler next year.
I believe CA owns part of CX via some sort of stock offering deal couple of years ago. with CA in Star, MU remains in SkyTeam, CZ will be a great addition to OW down the road.
Part = 29.9% plus vice versa. Playing in different arenas makes the most sense for both. Plus, they have extensive codeshares and Asia Miles between them.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by swingaling
That appears to be the case. It's looking like CZ will earn EQM (and perhaps EQD) on AA. No details as yet, but it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
That’s a lot different than earning (as usual) on AA marketed flights. There’s as yet no indication Elite Qualifying instruments will be earned on CZ operated and marketed flights (more like not, as on Etihad) and it’s doubtful - unprecedented, I believe - that one could earn EQM but not EQD.

Earning and spending Award Miles might well be possible (a la Etihad).
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:43 am

Does this mean CZ pilots will stop smoking on flights?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.