Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BCN-JFK-BOS timeline

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Question BCN-JFK-BOS timeline

Good morning! We are flying AA into JFK on 7/1 arriving around 2:00 PM. We have GE, although this will be the first time we will have used it). Hoping to catch an AA flight to BOS the same day. How early could we safely book that flight? There is one at 9:30 PM but I fear we will both be so bleary-eyed by then we might not be able to find the plane! DH uses a mobility scooter so we will have to wait for that to be brought up from the bowels of the plane before we can be on our merry way.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PNO4TE
Good morning! We are flying AA into JFK on 7/1 arriving around 2:00 PM. We have GE, although this will be the first time we will have used it). Hoping to catch an AA flight to BOS the same day. How early could we safely book that flight? There is one at 9:30 PM but I fear we will both be so bleary-eyed by then we might not be able to find the plane! DH uses a mobility scooter so we will have to wait for that to be brought up from the bowels of the plane before we can be on our merry way.
Besides the 9:30 pm departure, what other departure times does AA offer on the JFK-BOS route on 7/1? (Note that AA still protects on separate AA-AA tickets in case of IRROPS.)
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
As it is now, on 7/1 BCN-JFK arrives at 1:55pm and there are only 2 JFK-BOS flights that evening. The first leaves at 3:30pm (1 hr. 35 min connection) and the last is the 9:26pm departure that you mentioned.

I would book the sooner 1:35 connection departing at 3:30pm, if everything is on time you'll have plenty of time with GE, even considering a wait for luggage and the scooter . Otherwise you are hanging around JFK forever. Worst case and you were to get delayed or held up somewhere, AA would just rebook you on that later 9:26pm JFK-BOS flight anyways.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:47 am

There are only 2 options for you. The 9:26PM one you mentioned, or the 3:30PM. The latter only leaves 1:35 for your connection which may be tight if you have mobility issues and also have to wait for them to unload the scooter.

Personally, I’d rather take the short connection.* Missing it would mean likely winding up on the 9:26PM anyway.

*Actually, my preference would be taking a different route, connecting point, or airline for a better connection.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
If you could cab it, you could go from JFK to LGA which has hourly LGA-BOS Shuttle service. Cab costs maybe 35 bucks but you will have options at 4,5,6,7,8,9 giving you 6 choices vs the 2 you currently have.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:22 am

The 3:30p is within MCT, although if you are getting a separate ticket for each leg, I'm not well versed in how AA handles rescheduling if a schedule change to one leg of separate tickets goes under MCT - they may only allow you to change one of the two flights rather than re-route if possible.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
I fly AA67 a lot. And one of my biggest complaints about this flight is that the baggage can be really slow. Even with priority tags on your bags, I'll normally wait 30-45 sometimes from when I disembark to the time my bag shows up on the baggage belt. That being said, having to go through security again afterwards (even with TSA), you'll be rushing.

But from what people are saying, it might make sense to book the earlier connection and hope that if you miss it the later flight isn't full and you can be moved onto that flight.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by SiempreBCNJFK
I fly AA67 a lot. And one of my biggest complaints about this flight is that the baggage can be really slow. Even with priority tags on your bags, I'll normally wait 30-45 sometimes from when I disembark to the time my bag shows up on the baggage belt. That being said, having to go through security again afterwards (even with TSA), you'll be rushing.

But from what people are saying, it might make sense to book the earlier connection and hope that if you miss it the later flight isn't full and you can be moved onto that flight.
If you miss the earlier flight and the later flight is full they will definitely put you on a flight from LGA.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Pasqualle7
If you could cab it, you could go from JFK to LGA which has hourly LGA-BOS Shuttle service. Cab costs maybe 35 bucks but you will have options at 4,5,6,7,8,9 giving you 6 choices vs the 2 you currently have.
Oof... with a mobility scooter? Collecting bags, cab, and rechecking bags? That would not be my preferred routing for BCN-BOS.
Pasqualle7 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:37 pm

I had the exact same problem... so I booked DL JFK-BOS (and glad that I did, as AA67 was delayed )
PNO4TE likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Oof... with a mobility scooter? Collecting bags, cab, and rechecking bags? That would not be my preferred routing for BCN-BOS.
I concur, without a direct BCN-BOS, much better to connect in Europe, with assistance in getting from arrival gate to departure gate in AMS/FRA/LHR/MXP and direct to BOS, avoiding the baggage collection in the intermediate layover.
However, from OP it is not clear whether they already have BCN-JFK booked and are seeking to add a connection to BOS as a separate ticket.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Oh 100% not preferred, but it is still an option if you dont want to sit around for 5 or so hours.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ubiest

I concur, without a direct BCN-BOS, much better to connect in Europe, with assistance in getting from arrival gate to departure gate in AMS/FRA/LHR/MXP and direct to BOS, avoiding the baggage collection in the intermediate layover.
However, from OP it is not clear whether they already have BCN-JFK booked and are seeking to add a connection to BOS as a separate ticket.
BCN-JFK is already booked. We live outside of DC but are spending a week in Boston with our new granddaughter before leaving for Spain. I was trying to ease the stress the day we depart JFK by flying AA on both BOS-JFK and JFK-BCN, but I think looking at a different airline is probably the best bet for my peace of mind (DH won't stress at all ). Thanks for the knowledge everyone.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
BCN-JFK is already booked. We live outside of DC but are spending a week in Boston with our new granddaughter before leaving for Spain. I was trying to ease the stress the day we depart JFK by flying AA on both BOS-JFK and JFK-BCN, but I think looking at a different airline is probably the best bet for my peace of mind (DH won't stress at all ). Thanks for the knowledge everyone.
not clear at all whether you wanted advice on the departing or arriving into the US part of your voyage.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
For future reference, Level now does direct BCN-BOS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.