Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award and Basic Economy: carry on luggage in overhead bin?

Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

During a recent trip, I read that AA has changed the carryon policy that if I were to buy the basic ticket, I can't put the carry on in the overhead bin. I have booked a reward ticket, can anyone let me know how can I find out whether I can put the carryon luggage in the overhead bin? I had looked at the ticket and was not able to find out. If I can't I may have to buy a smaller carry on. TIA
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Award tickets are not basic economy. On an award ticket you can carry on a bag with no charge.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
And you can place it in the overhead bin.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the quick response.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
And, AA changed their policy a few months ago - passengers on basic fares can now bring onboard a regular carry-on bag to go in the overhead bin. So now the answer is yes for all fare types.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by coolcoil
And, AA changed their policy a few months ago - passengers on basic fares can now bring onboard a regular carry-on bag to go in the overhead bin.
Assuming there's room in the overhead bins by the time they get to Group 9, anyway.
JDiver and universitylad like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Both award and Basic Economy (now) allow a full size carryon bag that fits in the overhead bin and a personal item that fits under the seat in front of you. But practically speaking, Basic Economy generally is Boarding Group 9 and the likelihood is strong the carryon will Be Gate Checked to your final destination, as it’s likely the bins will be full. (Of course, this is possible on nearly all bookings, including award bookings, if one is boarding in one of the last groups.)
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by JDiver
Both award and Basic Economy (now) allow a full size carryon bag that fits in the overhead bin and a personal item that fits under the seat in front of you. But practically speaking, Basic Economy generally is Boarding Group 9 and the likelihood is strong the carryon will Be Gate Checked to your final destination, as it’s likely the bins will be full. (Of course, this is possible on nearly all bookings, including award bookings, if one is boarding in one of the last groups.)
All true, but now flyers on B fares don't have to pay when that happens. I'm thinking that's the more important issue.
universitylad likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:20 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Luckily, elites still board with their respective group even on BE fares. But yes, handing over baggage to the gate agent to have it checked in is often the best option when your boarding group is past 6.
universitylad likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.