Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best routes for flying from DFW to Thailand (BKK probably.)

Old Nov 26, 18, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Im flying to Thailand at the beginning of February. I have flexible dates, but currently I was eyeing Feb 7th- Feb16th, using AA reward miles.

I have EXP on AA so I was going to stick to Oneworld flights. So far it seems like my best bet is going DFW-DOH and then DOH-BKK, and I think the rt toatl comes out to around 160k if i do business.

Any other options I should be looking at? I havent looked at leaving from other airports besides DFW, but i wouldnt really have a problem leaving from lax or nyc or something
Old Nov 26, 18, 2:46 pm

AA's routing rules prevent you from flying to SE Asia via DOH on a single award ticket. You are limited to flying transpacific to that region (AA's Asia Region 2). Hence, you're easiest options are to fly AA or JL to Tokyo, then JL to BKK or AA to HKG and CX to BKK. Either way, the RT total would be 140,000 miles in business.

I should add that you can go through DOH if you split it into two award trips. Then the total miles would come out to 220,000.

Here's AA's partner award chart link: AA Partner Award Chart

Last edited by dfw88; Nov 26, 18 at 4:06 pm
Old Nov 26, 18, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dfw88 View Post
AA's routing rules prevent you from flying to SE Asia via DOH on a single award ticket. You are limited to flying transpacific to region that region (AA's Asia Region 2). Hence, you're easiest options are to fly AA or JL to Tokyo, then JL to BKK or AA to HKG and CX to BKK. Either way, the RT total would be 140,000 miles in business.

I should add that you can go through DOH if you split it into two award trips. Then the total miles would come out to 220,000.

Here's AA's partner award chart link: AA Partner Award Chart
thanks for this, I was having some issues looking for single award tickets and i guess thats probably the reason
Old Nov 26, 18, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by MoofuJJ View Post
thanks for this, I was having some issues looking for single award tickets and i guess thats probably the reason
If you can be flexible and don't mind waiting till 1 or 2 weeks before to nail down your flights, then it will be no problem to find something on JL via Tokyo or CX via HKG. For both of these carriers you need to call AA to book, their award space isn't visible at aa.com.
Old Nov 27, 18, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
If you can be flexible and don't mind waiting till 1 or 2 weeks before to nail down your flights, then it will be no problem to find something on JL via Tokyo or CX via HKG. For both of these carriers you need to call AA to book, their award space isn't visible at aa.com.
Thanks! I am pretty flexible, if you dont mind me asking, why is it better to wait 1-2 weeks before nailing down the flight? Does JL start releasing more awards seats around that time?

Also, currently I was seeing options ruting through China when I strictly go by AA.coms routings, ie putting in DFW as my origin and BKK as my destination. However a lot of these options have really long layovers/flight times (35-40hr+) which is something im trying to avoid. Is it better to find your own route and call in to get it booked?

Although, since ill have to call anyway to get JL or CX booked, i simply need to find the route i want to take and call in?

Last edited by MoofuJJ; Nov 27, 18 at 2:35 pm Reason: additional info
Old Nov 27, 18, 7:59 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, 2.1mm, Delta Lifetime Platinum, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Hilton
Earlier this year, I did:
On F miles-DFW-HKG (AA) and stopover, then HKG-BKK via KUL on Malaysia
For $-BKK-AMM-CDG in J
On F miles-CDG-LHR-DFW
Old Nov 27, 18, 10:33 pm

Do you feel as if that was an optimal deal or did you settle to book the flight?
Old Nov 29, 18, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AA MM (like it matters!)
You MIGHT be able to book this as DFW-ORD on AA, ORD-HKG on CX (as an AA codeshare), HKG-BKK on CX (ditto). I've done this (but HSV-ORD instead of DFW-ORD).

You MIGHT be able to book this as DFW-NRT on JL (AA codeshare), NRT-BKK on JL (ditto).

You MIGHT be able to book this as DFW-ORD on AA, ORD-NRT on JL (AA codeshare), NRT-BKK on JL (ditto).

All of these are worth trying. Any of those options is likely to be more pleasant than doing the transPac hop on AA. JL and CX take care of their customers, as opposed to AA, which sometimes feel like they see passengers as nothing more than self-loading freight.
Old Nov 29, 18, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
We did this route a couple of years ago. DFW-LAX-HKG-BKK on a J award with AA/CX.

DFW-HKG can be tough to find, plus that is only serviced by AA if that matters to you.

Going through NRT or HKG would be my preferred.

With that being said, NRT-BKK is still about 7 hrs so, HKG would be my first choice.

On the way home we went BKK-DOH-AUH on paid J (ex BKK normally has cheap premium fares), then F award AUH-LHR and J award LHR-DFW.
Not exactly the most direct routing but it allowed for a stop in the Al Safwa F lounge in DOH (DOH-AUH is booked into F instead of J), and then an apartment flight AUH-LHR.

One of our favorite trips!

Enjoy Thailand it is a beautiful country!
Old Nov 30, 18, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply! If you dont mind me asking, how did you book your tickets?

Im having some trouble trying to book, and the first person I got when i called AA was very little help. Im really flexible when it comes to both dates and stops, basically I just want to get to BKK using award miles, flying in business/first for as much of the flight as possible.

Is there a way to see award availability for the routes once i get into asia, IE seeing the award availability for CX or JAL flights? I would like to plan everything out and call AA and just give them the flights i want
Old Dec 1, 18, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Use BA or QF websites to search for the route you want. Once you have flights picked out with availability just call AA to book. You may have to HUCA as with anything involving AA phone reps. make sure they waive the phone booking fee since it is not possible to book with out calling.
Old Dec 1, 18, 8:57 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
There's rumors of a new OW partner coming on board early December. Might be worth waiting.
Old Dec 1, 18, 1:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Gold - AA EP
Originally Posted by MoofuJJ View Post
Im flying to Thailand at the beginning of February. I have flexible dates, but currently I was eyeing Feb 7th- Feb16th, using AA reward miles.

I have EXP on AA so I was going to stick to Oneworld flights. So far it seems like my best bet is going DFW-DOH and then DOH-BKK, and I think the rt toatl comes out to around 160k if i do business.

Any other options I should be looking at? I havent looked at leaving from other airports besides DFW, but i wouldnt really have a problem leaving from lax or nyc or something
Hey guys.....

I was under the impression that if we use our AA RDMs for award tickets, that award flight (butt in seat) will earn no EQMs or RDMs?