Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Seeking opinions on family vacation problem

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking opinions on family vacation problem

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by redtop43
It's a bit off topic but since one family is Plat, you should have plenty of free bag check capacity. You might think about packing a box of snacks. I don't know about Cayman but when I lived in Bermuda, groceries were 3-4 times the Costco price. You won't want to pack drinks but you could pack chips, cereal, etc. Moving boxes up to 4.5 cubic feet usually meet the size requirement. It might be more convenient, you will have what you want (you might not be able to find the products or brands you want), and save some money.

I actually did my grocery shopping in the USA; I came home every 3 weeks (not just for a Walmart run) and would go back with a box of dry food and a cooler of refrigerated food.
thanks. we were actually thinking of doing this. Mainly snacks and cereals, etc. Plus a few good bottles of wine.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by redtop43
It's a bit off topic but since one family is Plat, you should have plenty of free bag check capacity. You might think about packing a box of snacks. I don't know about Cayman but when I lived in Bermuda, groceries were 3-4 times the Costco price. You won't want to pack drinks but you could pack chips, cereal, etc. Moving boxes up to 4.5 cubic feet usually meet the size requirement. It might be more convenient, you will have what you want (you might not be able to find the products or brands you want), and save some money.

I actually did my grocery shopping in the USA; I came home every 3 weeks (not just for a Walmart run) and would go back with a box of dry food and a cooler of refrigerated food.
Interesting the Cosco comment. I was recently on a Princess cruise (Royal Princes, the one with the recent "incident" and bought some Costco (Kirkland) bottled water for $1 per bottle at a store by the port in Bonaire.
The owner told me he had it shipped from Miami. I buy the same water at the store in Arlington, TX for under $3 for 40 bottles. In 1994, I took my children to Jamaica, with a cardboard box full of snacks, etc
That is when I found out they inspected all of the baggage of people traveling with boxes at MBJ.. If I had known that, I would have packed it in suitcases
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by mvoight
That is when I found out they inspected all of the baggage of people traveling with boxes at MBJ.. If I had known that, I would have packed it in suitcases
I do medical missions and we used to pack everything in boxes and containers. After a couple "fun" experiences with customs in countries in Central and South America we switched to carrying everything in suitcases. It's much easier clearing customs now.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: AA, WN, NK
It's still far out, chances are there will be another schedule change. Booked trip for January in August with two schedule changes, one to a time that didn't make sense at all and the second back to the time originally scheduled.

Also, don't give up the nonstop due to reasons previously mentioned.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:03 am

I have checked a cooler of frozen food and packed a suitcase of basic food items for more remote Caribbean travel, it's not a big deal. However, for the Caymans, I would find a local provisioner and have the house stocked prior to your arrival. It will cost a few extra bucks, well worth the expense IMHO. Super nice to arrive to cold beer and cocktails ready to go, especially with a late afternoon arrival.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: none
OP, look on the bright side. You're going on a vacation to a very nice area. Keep that in mind.

You vacation doesn't begin when the wheels touch down in GCM. You are on vacation the minute you leave the house for the airport, or better yet, the instant you leave work the day before. Consider that the two hours you are fretting about are vacation time. If you view something of this magnitude to be a "problem" (your words), then you are just setting yourself up for more disappointments later on.

Take an earlier flight, take an extra day, or go with the new non-stop. Your choice, based solely on your personal assessment of risk vs. reward. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Enjoy you vacation; you earned it
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Originally Posted by dc9703
GC house is roughly a 45 minute drive from the airport. So i figure customs/immigration/rental agency/drive puts us in the house around 7pm. 3pm is check-in, It's a rental house so i'll have to double check on the night before there maybe an option to get access to the house. If not we'll need some groceries and things.

Thanks for all the feedback, on the plus side for the non-stop is i do have AMEX-plt card so i can still use those 2 hours @ the DFW AMEX lounge enjoying a vacation. I travel enough to "rough it" with early leaving or late arriving flights. But wife and kids are not so great at all that.
Just a heads up, definitely check on how fast immigration is clearing because when we were there earlier this year there were 2 hour plus waits. We were very fortunate to have purchased a "fast pass", friends who didn't get it were showing up 3 hours after we got to our hotel. Sorry to go OT.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hipquest
Just a heads up, definitely check on how fast immigration is clearing because when we were there earlier this year there were 2 hour plus waits. We were very fortunate to have purchased a "fast pass", friends who didn't get it were showing up 3 hours after we got to our hotel. Sorry to go OT.
Thanks. Looks like a bunch of flights land between 12p and 1p (all the major Eastern hubs). After 4pm there are only two flights landing.

When we went to CUR a few years ago we barely beat a KLM 747 to the arrival gate. That was crazy, so I get what you are saying about multiple hours of waiting.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA CK, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Platinum
We just went to GCM over Thanksgiving, and had a wonderful time. If you arrived at 3pm, you'd be in the line for immigration that we were in... well over an hour before they let us jump in the resident line (due to the toddler we had)... would've been 1.5 hours otherwise.

A 3pm arrival means the first day is "lost" regardless... so 5pm isn't so bad, as you can get out of the airport, get dinner, etc., and settle in for the next few days of adventure.

Definitely pack snacks in the baggage... stuff is pricey down there!

Have a great trip
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Ambassador
I did a GCM trip last August and had to connect through MIA where there is only 2 flights daily, an early and a late, if you miss or a flight cancels your screwed. (which happened to us)...we did not have a non-stop AA option from our area. As anyone who travels more than a few times a year, non-stop is always preferred to any type of lay-over no matter how cheap the flight might be. The hassle and stress of re-bookings etc, are never worth it in my opinion, never a good way to start a vacation. That said, we enjoyed Grand Cayman so much we'd actual consider a revisit which we never do.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd try to bring midnight snack and (light) breakfast provisions for the first day at least. Upon arrival, plan to settle in and relax a bit (unpack, shower/bath) the go out to a restaurant for a late dinner the first night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.