Wiki Posts
Search

Award flights to LHR all on BA metal

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by normcpa
I agree with other posters. Probably no more than a few dozen (if that many) AA Savers to LHR in a year! Last month my wife and I flew two seats AA81 Business Saver (77W LHR to DFW) and F DFW to SAN. I purchased the tickets close to a year in advance and was so surprised to find the flight that I stayed an extra two days in Malta just to be able to revel in the find. [Never saw anything close, checking very often throughout the year.}

By the way, I was born on the day after D-Day, June 7, 1944 and my name is Norman (believe it or not, just a coincidence).
How was Malta? We are cruising from Genoa (MSC Bellisima) nd will be in Valleta, Malta for one day.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:54 am

Probably no more than a few dozen (if that many) AA Savers to LHR in a year!
Just searching a couple gateways, DFW has AA-metal routings in J available to LHR on 8 of the first 10 days of January, and PHL has such routings on 6 of those days. Methinks the poster doth protest too much and needs to learn to use "advanced search" on AA.com.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:44 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by mvoight
How was Malta? We are cruising from Genoa (MSC Bellisima) nd will be in Valleta, Malta for one day.
We loved Malta. Stayed nine nights including three on Gozo Island. Wonderful town, sights, food, etc. One day is not enough, but if you get good weather, you should have fun. Lots of interesting things to see.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Sky Miles | Marriott Bonvoy | Radisson Int'l Rewards
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Just searching a couple gateways, DFW has AA-metal routings in J available to LHR on 8 of the first 10 days of January, and PHL has such routings on 6 of those days. Methinks the poster doth protest too much and needs to learn to use "advanced search" on AA.com.
Aren't J anytime though?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by nocigar
Aren't J anytime though?
Oftentimes on FT "J" is used as a general abbreviation for business class.

There is tons of sAAver business space on AA metal to LHR in January, as mentioned.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Looking to fly RT IAH > LHR for 75th of D-Day (eurostar into France). All of the award flights I'm seeing are routing through BA flights across the pond. Of course this means 600-800 in "fees".

Looking at flying Business Class Saver @ 57,5K each way but can't find any AA metal to get to LHR on unless I go Anytime. Any chance these can change in the near future?

Thanks!
I just booked to CDG through LHR and the fees were more than that - there was zero availability through MAD the dates I wanted for J saver.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:20 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by arlflyer
My bad!

I was actually lamenting availability out of LAX on the nonstops. No question about winter availability. I have evolved to where I can't do short hauls overnight. No problem with DFW-LHR, but hard to get SAN (where I live) - DFW. Also I'm always looking for two seats, so that doesn't make things easier. When I shop for awards at aa.com for flights during better weather times of the year, most of the time I have found that if I delete the BA box, all awards disappear!

Note: I only look for Business or First, so that is an issue that I should have stated up front.

Re: "advanced search" what are you are referring to?

Last edited by normcpa; Dec 8, 2018 at 12:24 pm Reason: Add comment about Business or First
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Given a choice between AA awards (no fees) and BA awards (fees), the 100+ million AAdvantage members will almost always take AA metal. That's the basis behind the OP seeing no AA but some (lots?) of BA.
No it's not. You're giving AA *way* too much credit. AA just doesn't release inventory on most of its European flights in the summer.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:34 pm

Re: "advanced search" what are you are referring to?
The link with the words "advanced search" underneath the search button on AA.com. But from your reference to removing BA flights, it seems you might be using this already.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I’d recommend flying into LHR or LGW, but flying back from Europe (the Continent) to avoid the onerous U. K. Air Passenger Duty ontop of the onerous BA “carrier imposed charges”, AKA YQ.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys I seem to have finally found some availability. Looks like there's some room on PHL>MAN or PHL>EDI>LHR. The MAN pairing has service on a 763 and the LHR has service on the 757. I read that the 757 has been retrofit and the seats aren't too terribly bad but have no aisle access from a window seat.

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey guys I seem to have finally found some availability. Looks like there's some room on PHL>MAN or PHL>EDI>LHR. The MAN pairing has service on a 763 and the LHR has service on the 757. I read that the 757 has been retrofit and the seats aren't too terribly bad but have no aisle access from a window seat.

Any thoughts?
If you find AA metal business class award availability book it immediately. Now. Not in 15 minutes time. {Someone else will also find it}
Award flights can be changed or cancelled.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines

Any thoughts?
I hoped you booked it immediately.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

I got it!

Going PHL>EDI>LHR and then home on ZRH>PHL... All saver Business Class. Departing on the 757 and coming home on 330-300. Should make for a really fun jaunt through Europe!

Interestingly enough the PHL>EDI leg is on AA metal while the connector to LHR is BA.
Mwenenzi and enviroian like this.

Last edited by nocigar; Feb 4, 2019 at 2:25 pm Reason: Added content.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

FWIW, there is also PHL>EDI>LHR>MUC as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.