Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same-day flight change options are terrible

Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus

I am traveling tomorrow and connecting through ORD. I should have known to avoid ORD after November but this one fit my my schedule the best. Of course there is a storm and AA is telling me all about it yet all the same-day flight change options they give me still go through ORD. Even when I am not worried about weather I find that my same-day flight change options still go through the same connecting airport and number of stops. What gives? This is one area that United excels over AA. I am fully bought into flying AA at this point but this is something they need to improve.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
SDFC requires the same routing. And yes, it sucks in general.

if theres a weather issue in place, call AA. They can potentially reroute you and bypass the SDFC shenanigans.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:27 pm

See here for the weather waiver details. You should be covered (not limited by SDFC rules). It indicates you can change online. Perhaps you are selecting SDFC but there should also be a general change option without those restrictions. You can also call.
MarkY123 and TravelLawyer like this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
One thing carriers are actually good about is change options in inclement weather.

Last year I flew LAS-PHL. I was booked on a connection through CLT. There was bad weather moving north to south, starting on the 2nd of the month, scheduled to hit PHL on the 3rd. I was on a red-eye leaving the night of the 1st. They let me change to a non-stop and even gave me a few bucks back in the form of a travel voucher.

I'm guessing that you're looking at the wrong screen.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Ask for the moon

Same here AA's magic comouter changed my ord/lax to a route via IND.

Called and ask to get on a UA non stop as all AA flights are sold out. My advice, look online and pick your ideal route with availability then call.
atbPy likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
See here for the weather waiver details. You should be covered (not limited by SDFC rules). It indicates you can change online. Perhaps you are selecting SDFC but there should also be a general change option without those restrictions. You can also call.
Thanks for the link. When I view my trip either on the AA.com website or the app they give me only three options: Same-day flight change, cancel trip, and Change Seats. Guess I will be calling.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by redtop43
One thing carriers are actually good about is change options in inclement weather.
U.S. carriers will throw out most of the routing rules in the case of weather waivers but the proficiency and elegance of their online tools (web and app) to do that varies greatly by carrier.
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The terms of the weather waiver supplant either change or SDC fare rules. As always, do not rely on what is offered. Do your own research and then ask for what suits you best.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The terms of the weather waiver supplant either change or SDC fare rules. As always, do not rely on what is offered. Do your own research and then ask for what suits you best.
This, of course, has nothing to do with whether the options offered online are useless or not.

I do find that Delta's website seems mostly capable of implementing the waiver logic on its own (not sure about United).
atbPy likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: Free Agent
I've had luck changing connecting airports, as well as originating/destination airports with AA on the phone in cases of weather issues. Delta's app is much more convenient as it lets you do all of this without having to call.
atbPy likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:29 am

Wow this pisses me off. I just got delayed then cancelled for DSM>ORD>IND and when I called in to reroute DSM>DFW>IND, they said I had to follow the original routing otherwise I would incur a change fee. I've since cancelled the trip, if I had known that agent was wrong I would have called back. Awful.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I've also used the AA website and mobile app to change flights in the event of a weather waiver. I've done it maybe 3-4 times in the last year and have never had a problem being charged fees or picking a different routing.
Spanish likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by atbPy
his is one area that United excels over AA. I am fully bought into flying AA at this point but this is something they need to improve.
This was a major reason I moved over to UA. As others have stated though, for weather, the rules loosen up on AA (and DL and UA for that matter).
atbPy likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
I actually had a similar problem with AA earlier this fall when the hurricane hit NC and I was due to fly through CLT. Trying to make the change online after the waiver was issued, it would only let me change for free to other flights routed through CLT. Defeats the purpose.

I had to call the 800 number, wait on hold for half an hour or more, and then when I got an agent, they routed me through DFW without a second thought. Was frustrating but painless once I got through to someone.
atbPy likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I've found the app to be great for IROPS flight changes on domestic flights ONCE your flight has been cancelled and you've been rebooked. It's not great for proactive changes during weather waivers. It's useless for changes to international itineraries.

Back on topic - AA's SDFC policy is worthless.
atbPy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.