Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Changes allowed 24 hrs after 24 hour window

Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist

AA allows for a refund within 24 hours of booking, although the website states an exemption for flights booked within 2 days of departure.

I had called the EXP desk to inquire what the rules were within 2 days and was told that you cannot get a refund (as expected from above) but you could make some changes, such as a flight time adjustment etc. As long as the fare was the same. Supporting this, I have made some changes in the past.

today, I was told by 2 agents that within 2 days, you cant do anything, refund or alter. And this bit me as I booked a later flight for today than I wanted (the earlier flight had availability but aa.com would crash every time I tried to select it. As I was on a call, I grabbed the later flight with the intent of changing it later, assuming inventory was there).

Which is the right policy? And either way, I'm less than pleased by the EXP desk and their dispelling of incorrect information.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius
AA allows for a refund within 24 hours of booking, although the website states an exemption for flights booked within 2 days of departure.

I had called the EXP desk to inquire what the rules were within 2 days and was told that you cannot get a refund (as expected from above) but you could make some changes, such as a flight time adjustment etc. As long as the fare was the same. Supporting this, I have made some changes in the past.

today, I was told by 2 agents that within 2 days, you cant do anything, refund or alter. And this bit me as I booked a later flight for today than I wanted (the earlier flight had availability but aa.com would crash every time I tried to select it. As I was on a call, I grabbed the later flight with the intent of changing it later, assuming inventory was there).

Which is the right policy? And either way, I'm less than pleased by the EXP desk and their dispelling of incorrect information.
Refunds, changes, etc are governed by the rules of the ticket.. That said, I am not aware of any 2 day rule such as you have stated.
However, I have made changes without a fee, after booking and paying, but before the ticket was issued.
I don't see the point in booking a later flight if your original intent was to take the earlier flight.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The 24 hour cancellation policy does indeed exempt anything booked within 2 days of departure - as such any changes or cancellation penalties will be in accordance with the fare rules

If you purchased a fare that has change fees, then you would need to pay the change fees; if the fare does not allow changes, then no changes

For a domestic ticket, it sounds like the EP agent gave correct information - some changes can be performed , but these are in accordance with ticket rules
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Silver
SDC

in lieu of being able to change >T24, you should at least be able do a same day change at check-in to the earlier flight.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
Refunds, changes, etc are governed by the rules of the ticket.. That said, I am not aware of any 2 day rule such as you have stated.
However, I have made changes without a fee, after booking and paying, but before the ticket was issued.
AA allows any ticket to be cancelled for a full refund (or changed without a fee, which is the same thing as cancel/rebook) within 24 hours of booking. The caveat is this must be 2 days or more before travel. So if you book a non-refundable/200 USD change fee flight for 2 months from now, you can change it within 24 hours, even if it has been ticketed.

I don't see the point in booking a later flight if your original intent was to take the earlier flight.
It was a weird situation of aa.com not working, being on a call and not being able to call AA and both flights having 2 and 1 seat left (across all fare buckets). So in the event that the earlier wasn't available and was showing phantom availability, I had the later as a fallback. But the plan was to grab the earlier.

The good news is I made it on standby on the earlier.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajklink
in lieu of being able to change >T24, you should at least be able do a same day change at check-in to the earlier flight.
SDFC has been wrecked to the point of being ostensibly useless. It allowed SDFC on the earlier flight ONLY if I took the flight from HOU-DFW 3 hours earlier (despite the HOU-DFW flight I was booked arriving 1.5 hours before the earlier onward flight).

I was trying to SDFC the connecting flight, but whatever opaque rules they have in place now for SDFC, it wouldn't allow it. I ended up getting on Standby and clearing.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The 24 hour cancellation policy does indeed exempt anything booked within 2 days of departure - as such any changes or cancellation penalties will be in accordance with the fare rules

If you purchased a fare that has change fees, then you would need to pay the change fees; if the fare does not allow changes, then no changes

For a domestic ticket, it sounds like the EP agent gave correct information - some changes can be performed , but these are in accordance with ticket rules
Thank you for the information.

But no, they did not give me the correct information the first several times around. I was told you could change flights without a change fee within 24 hours in < 2 days. I simply was not allowed a refund. Which was false, as I was told later (and you confirmed above)

The quality of the EXP desk is rapidly declining. I wrote to AA CR about this. Doubt it will do anything, but needed to at least say something.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Thank you for the information.

But no, they did not give me the correct information the first several times around. I was told you could change flights without a change fee within 24 hours in < 2 days. I simply was not allowed a refund. Which was false, as I was told later (and you confirmed above)

The quality of the EXP desk is rapidly declining. I wrote to AA CR about this. Doubt it will do anything, but needed to at least say something.
if it’s a last minute ticket, I prefer to book through Expedia or Orbitz. I’ve had their websites show “free 24 hour cancellation” even if it was for within 24 hours and successfully received a refund.
ijgordon and Antarius like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by samwise6222
if it’s a last minute ticket, I prefer to book through Expedia or Orbitz. I’ve had their websites show “free 24 hour cancellation” even if it was for within 24 hours and successfully received a refund.
I think third party travel agents have always had the ability to "void" tickets after issuance within 24 hours (or often longer), so this would be essentially a manifestation of that (of course I'm surprised Expedia or Orbitz wouldn't still somehow try to extract $$ from customers in this situation...)
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
AA allows any ticket to be cancelled for a full refund (or changed without a fee, which is the same thing as cancel/rebook) within 24 hours of booking. The caveat is this must be 2 days or more before travel. So if you book a non-refundable/200 USD change fee flight for 2 months from now, you can change it within 24 hours, even if it has been ticketed.
<snipped>
The good news is I made it on standby on the earlier.
Yes, I was aware of the 2 day deadline for the 24 hour cancel. I was trying to say I was not aware of a policy indicating the ticket could be changed, without charge, if you had purchased it within those 2 days
I could not find any written policy on that
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by samwise6222
Thanks for the suggestion. Will check it out next time.

Yes, I was aware of the 2 day deadline for the 24 hour cancel. I was trying to say I was not aware of a policy indicating the ticket could be changed, without charge, if you had purchased it within those 2 days
I could not find any written policy on that
Ah understood. The website says "You have up to 24 hours from the time of ticket purchase for a refund if you booked at least 2 days prior to departure. " . but nothing about changes. Which is why I had called AA and asked.

It definitely seems that there is no exemption within 2 days, the EXP desk was just incorrect.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

...del
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think third party travel agents have always had the ability to "void" tickets after issuance within 24 hours (or often longer), so this would be essentially a manifestation of that (of course I'm surprised Expedia or Orbitz wouldn't still somehow try to extract $$ from customers in this situation...)

well with everyone pushing people towards direct booking, I don't think they can't extract fees at every opportunity.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.