Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA claiming a paper voucher issued 10/7/18 is expired

Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX PLAT, DL PLAT, RITZ CARLTON PLAT, HILTON GOLD

I booked 2 tickets using a paper voucher that was issued to me on 10/7/18 valued at $800 to partially pay for a flight next April. (yes I jumped through all the non-sensical hoops to mail the voucher to Pensacola FL). AA charged my cc for the remaining balance then sent me an email 2 days later stating they could not process my tickets because the voucher was expired. The voucher clearly states it is valid for one year from date of issue. I made copies of all steps in the process including copy of voucher, picture of envelope, certified mail, return receipt requested and proof of delivery). Now what should I do?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by edfisher
I booked 2 tickets using a paper voucher that was issued to me on 10/7/18 valued at $800 to partially pay for a flight next April. (yes I jumped through all the non-sensical hoops to mail the voucher to Pensacola FL). AA charged my cc for the remaining balance then sent me an email 2 days later stating they could not process my tickets because the voucher was expired. The voucher clearly states it is valid for one year from date of issue. I made copies of all steps in the process including copy of voucher, picture of envelope, certified mail, return receipt requested and proof of delivery). Now what should I do?
Have you tried calling to flesh out the problem?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX PLAT, DL PLAT, RITZ CARLTON PLAT, HILTON GOLD
Yes, I called and that's when I found out they claim that the voucher is expired and "they" cannot help me. They suggested I use aa.com and contact customer service via the comment/complaint page.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
They suggested I use aa.com and contact customer service via the comment/complaint page.
Did you try that?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:17 pm

Yes, I called and that's when I found out they claim that the voucher is expired and "they" cannot help me. They suggested I use aa.com and contact customer service via the comment/complaint page.
Once they reply to your email, just attached the documentation that you have.

Last edited by rumboj; Nov 24, 2018 at 3:23 pm
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
What date do they say it expired on?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL Gold, UA Plat, Starwood Plat
If you have another trip coming up, I’d just go to the ticket counter at the airport and have them work with you in person. I’ve always found it much easier to deal with paper vouchers in person (if it’s not inconvenient to be at the airport which I am already every week or two anyway.)
GWFan likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Send a short note via AA.com. Keep it focused on the issue, e.g. that AA claims that the voucher has expired when it has not. Offer a PDF of the voucher (although AA can look it up just as well).
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: Delta, BA, SW
According to the New York Times Travel section, the quickest way to get customer service from AA is by using Twitter.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jroff1
If you have another trip coming up, I’d just go to the ticket counter at the airport and have them work with you in person. I’ve always found it much easier to deal with paper vouchers in person
I recently went to Flagship check-in at JFK to try and process one of my vouchers and they claim they had "never seen a physical voucher before" and they insisted multiple times that I had to call AA in order for them to process the ticket. I kept telling them this is a physical voucher and it could only be processed at an airport or by sending it through the mail. I was honestly shocked that not only had they claimed to "never seen before" a physical voucher, but they had no interest in trying to solve the issue or ask someone else for help. I ended up going to the regular check-in desk and the agent was incredibly friendly and processed the ticket in about three minutes...
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Finsup72
I recently went to Flagship check-in at JFK to try and process one of my vouchers and they claim they had "never seen a physical voucher before" and they insisted multiple times that I had to call AA in order for them to process the ticket. I kept telling them this is a physical voucher and it could only be processed at an airport or by sending it through the mail. I was honestly shocked that not only had they claimed to "never seen before" a physical voucher, but they had no interest in trying to solve the issue or ask someone else for help. I ended up going to the regular check-in desk and the agent was incredibly friendly and processed the ticket in about three minutes...
Paper vouchers I thought went way of the Dodo. Not shocked they hadn't seen one. However shocked no one knew how to process it.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Paper vouchers I thought went way of the Dodo. Not shocked they hadn't seen one. However shocked no one knew how to process it.
Not on AA. :-/
g8trgr8t likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:32 pm

I have physical vouchers issued from AA this year that came in the mail. From reading this thread I bet it will be fun trying to actually use them.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Not on AA. :-/
Hope the one they just issued me isn't paper, or if it is that it's not hard to book.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Centurion
I have physical vouchers issued from AA this year that came in the mail. From reading this thread I bet it will be fun trying to actually use them.
they look like they came straight out of a time capsule. Got one last year and it was a PITA to use it.

Does anyone know why they still issue these? They have the electronic vouchers and framework already there, so why not transition fully?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.