Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club Drink Coupons / Chits moving to Boarding Pass scans 2019 [Ended]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisny2
Complimentary premium drinks in the Admirals Clubs have been eliminated. Soft drinks, and "house" wine, beer, and spirits are complimentary for all guests.

NOTE: It appears Admirals Clubs will scan boarding passes upon.Club entry and electronic “drink coupons” will be attached to the boarding pass, requiring scanning by the bartender. This appears to be rolling out at Clubs as of August 2019. See Admirals Club Drink Chit / Chits / Coupon Policies (2014-2019) for recent policies and procedures.
Drinks chits / coupons (date-stamped) for premium level drinks or bottles of water have been given to AAdvantage Platinum and Executive Platinum members departing on international flights. These guests might be given one or two, and more may be forthcoming if requested later. Some drinks might require two chits.

As well, non-AA oneworld Sapphire and Emerald flyers with Club access are also eligible for premium drinks coupons. In response to a communication from a oneworld member denied a drinks coupon (see atramos below):

- International First class passengers are allowed 2 drink chits (AA International itineraries include travel to/from Asia, Europe, Mexico city, Central & South America)
  • oneworld customers receive one drink chit plus one for a guest
    • Transcontinental passengers do not receive drink chits, nor do those on wholly domestic itineraries
      • Admirals Club members, US Airways Club members and Citi Executive Admirals Club members do not receive drink chits unless they qualify for club access based on their itinerary or oneworld status.
        • Guests may exchange a premium drink chit for any drink – this includes a Naked Juice Smoothie or bottled water.

Admirals Club members, and AAdvantage Platinum or Executive Platinum on purely domestic itineraries (even 321T three class transcont) are ineligible for premium drinks coupons (but those in domestic three class F transcons are Flagship Lounge eligible at LAX and JFK, where premium drinks are included).

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

I saw it reported on a Facebook page that LGA had done away with AC Drink Coupons and today at RDU I saw the same thing. Instead the eligible passenger hands his or her boarding pass to the bartender who scans it and then gives them a drink. It seems a more streamlined process provided everything works though I'm going to be sad that my days of finding abandoned drink coupons in clubs is over.

At least two Clubs I've been to this year (CLT and DFW) still have the coupons so I'm guessing this is like everything else at AA: inconsistent and slow to be implemented.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
RDU has been “paperless” for a while. I left some in DFW and CLT last week. Will do the same next week, so be on the look out.
E55 and SouthernCross like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
One of the PHX clubs I visited recently (I think it was the one by the high-numbered A gates) was also scanning boarding passes instead of issuing drink chits.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see an unopened bottle of Ayala Brut Majeur in the fridge (rather than the usual low-quality prosecco)—and further pleasantly surprised when the bartender gave me a super generous pour (in a wine glass, instead of a champagne flute).
CMK10 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Does that mean you get 2 scans since I usually get 2 chits?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by TechMarauder
Yes. Two scans only. It’s a “downgrade” since they normally gave 3 or 4 chits. 😂
E55 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Does the new system still work for bottles of water? Or only premium alcoholic drinks?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Does the new system still work for bottles of water? Or only premium alcoholic drinks?
It works for water (at least in RDU).
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Head

Yes. Two scans only. It’s a “downgrade” since they normally gave 3 or 4 chits. 😂
Totally agree, especially since I'd usually get chits if I had a guest as well.
safari ari likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by TechMarauder
Wait actually though? Because I've never had even the slightest inkling that there was actually a limit on the number of chits... on very long stays have definitely gotten 5 or 6 per person, just not all at once. 2 upfront, then come back as needed to ask for 1 or 2 more at a time, never a problem with an international J or F BP. Capping at 2 would be a very major downgrade.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Wait actually though? Because I've never had even the slightest inkling that there was actually a limit on the number of chits... on very long stays have definitely gotten 5 or 6 per person, just not all at once. 2 upfront, then come back as needed to ask for 1 or 2 more at a time, never a problem with an international J or F BP. Capping at 2 would be a very major downgrade.
i had no idea they’d give me more if I went back and asked! And here I’ve been living with my two drinks per stay for all these years...
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
I flew out of PHX high A gate number this week and AC was scan boarding pass at the bar - no drink chits.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I was at the RDU AC last Saturday. Indeed the polish bartender (she was great) scanned my BP twice for the 2 IPA’s I drank.

Nice club.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
I was at the RDU AC last Saturday. Indeed the polish bartender (she was great) scanned my BP twice for the 2 IPA’s I drank.

Nice club.
I can’t remeber her name at the moment, but she is a great bartender.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
I'm rather surprised by this considering how much typing seems to be required most of the times that I enter an AC as a OneWorld Emerald. You'd think the BP would just scan at entry...but there always seem to be a lot of keystrokes involved.

Wondering if anyone has an experience with paperless drink chits as OWE...
Old Nov 23, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by skippythelizard
I'm rather surprised by this considering how much typing seems to be required most of the times that I enter an AC as a OneWorld Emerald. You'd think the BP would just scan at entry...but there always seem to be a lot of keystrokes involved.

Wondering if anyone has an experience with paperless drink chits as OWE...
I have my OWE FF# attached to my record normally, so to enter the AC it’s usually a scan of the boarding pass and the question of whether I’m OWS or OWE (which always puzzles me). Apparently it’s too small for the agents to read or something like that.

Regarding drinks in particular, I’ve never really paid attention if extra typing is involved other than the normal ringing up my drink.

If your FF# is not in your record and you’re using your physical card to get entry, then maybe they have to enter your details manually, which is why there’s a lot of typing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.