Inflatable Footrest OK on AA?

Old Nov 20, 18, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HH Diamond
Inflatable Footrest OK on AA?

Has anyone ever brought/used one on board? I am doing the LAX/SYD flight at the begining of Jan and have Row 24 which is an exit row but without a row in front. (LAV/Galley Area) Do you think I would be allowed to have it or are their requirements to have the area clear at all times, not just Takeoff and Landing?
Old Nov 20, 18, 1:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I'm gonna have to see a picture of this...
Old Nov 20, 18, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Old Nov 20, 18, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Sorry about the massive size, I no do this computer wizardry.
Old Nov 20, 18, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Call it an "emotional support support" and no one will dare question it.
Old Nov 20, 18, 3:16 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
The area only has to be kept clear for takeoff and landing, so you could use it in flight.
Old Nov 20, 18, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / MLife Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Explorist / United Silver
I have this!

Regular seats - OK
Exit row - 4/6 OK. The other two, FAs insisted on keeping the area clear.
Old Nov 20, 18, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, SPG GLD, HH Diam
I would think OK. Much easier to move in an emergency than the massive food/bev carts they park in front of the exits.
GWFan likes this.
Old Nov 20, 18, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I regularly carry either a small inflatable foot rest or a beach ball. I've never gotten anything but surprised looks followed by a "thumbs up" from FAs when I use them.

The beach ball gets fully inflated if there is a bulkhead to rest against; if there isn't, it gets partially inflated so it doesn't roll away.
Spanish likes this.
Old Nov 20, 18, 6:18 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
I feel like you could do something similar with a wheeled carry on...I've often thought about an inflatable lie flat seat and never posted about it for some reason.
Old Nov 20, 18, 6:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
I've seen some people use a roller bag as a footrest when seated in some exit rows. I think it was an old version of the 777, about 3 years ago, when I was flying DFW-NRT.

If you're going to do it, I'd just get it out and set it up, then act as if it is normal. Much easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission. As long as it doesn't interfere with crew seats. On those long flights, the crew mostly disappears during the flight after the meal anyway.
JDiver, DenverBrian and krakendown like this.
Old Nov 20, 18, 7:19 pm

If you mean overnight long haul flights, FAs disappear to let you sleep. We are available when you may be sleeping. We tend to stomp through the cabin at intermittent intervals.
Old Nov 20, 18, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / MLife Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Explorist / United Silver
Originally Posted by hawkfan7314 View Post
Has anyone ever brought/used one on board? I am doing the LAX/SYD flight at the begining of Jan and have Row 24 which is an exit row but without a row in front. (LAV/Galley Area) Do you think I would be allowed to have it or are their requirements to have the area clear at all times, not just Takeoff and Landing?
In case you get rebooked on Qantas, do note that they specifically ban these items and have forced people to deflate them

Old Nov 21, 18, 8:54 am

Oh wow, a device to decrease the amount of room allotted to a passenger? Get this in front of the executive team ASAP. Before you know it the planes will come with these pre-installed in the floor; they will inflate upon takeoff to compress the passenger into the "loaded position".

The person in that photo must be three feet tall.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 21, 18, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Oh wow, a device to decrease the amount of room allotted to a passenger? Get this in front of the executive team ASAP. Before you know it the planes will come with these pre-installed in the floor; they will inflate upon takeoff to compress the passenger into the "loaded position".

The person in that photo must be three feet tall.
I'm only considering it because I won't have the seat in front of me so I would be able to put my legs up on it. I agree that I don't know how comfortable it would be if used how it is in the picture.

Search this Thread