Inflatable Footrest OK on AA?

Old Nov 21, 18, 12:14 pm

Might want to call it an "inflatable footrest" once you're in the airport and on the plane
Old Mar 27, 19, 11:08 pm

Still ok for UA?

Hello,

Iím on an UA flight to Europe soon and ordered a few things to try out. An inflatable footrest, one of those hammock things and a this weird inflatable device you hug while sleeping.

Iím in an exit row with an exit row in front of me. Because itís an exit row the seat in front wonít recline into my space

Think these will be ok to use? Iíll wait until we are airborne to break them out.

I wonder if I should move to a premier seating row and out of the exit row. But it seems like people have been able to use these in an exit row.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 19, 12:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, MaÓtre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by WhiskeyCavalier View Post
Hello,

Iím on an UA flight to Europe soon and ordered a few things to try out. An inflatable footrest, one of those hammock things and a this weird inflatable device you hug while sleeping.

Iím in an exit row with an exit row in front of me. Because itís an exit row the seat in front wonít recline into my space

Think these will be ok to use? Iíll wait until we are airborne to break them out.

I wonder if I should move to a premier seating row and out of the exit row. But it seems like people have been able to use these in an exit row.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Welcome to FkyerTalk.

UA might well have different rules than AA, so this question is best asked in the United Airlines forum.
gateH15 and WhiskeyCavalier like this.
Old Mar 28, 19, 11:39 pm

Thanks. It was late didn’t notice I was on the AA thread. Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 19, 12:05 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
My wife loves this thing and uses it all the time on AA, BA and JL. Usually in the bulkhead row. Maybe once an FA made a deal about it and made her put it away way before landing, but you should do so at the usual prepare for landing time. I don't recall if we've used it in an exit row before.
Old Mar 29, 19, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, US, DL, CO
Recently, seated in a window seat in Economy on an AA flight from JFK to SAN, the two passengers in the middle and aisle seats deployed these inflatable footrests and when it came time for me to use the lavatory they wanted me to hurdle over the one in the middle and when I refused, they became indignant. I went back to the galley and mentioned it to a FA and the FA told the couple they had to put them away.

Like everything else, a few inconsiderate people will ruin it for the masses.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 29, 19, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
I've used an inflatable footrest in the exit row on the LAX-SYD flight and it was great. Since it was only the two of us, it wasn't obtrusive and probably less obnoxious than bringing down my rollaboard to put my feet on. No complaints from anyone. I've only ever deployed it when I've been in the exit row.

I actually bought one of those hanging hammock things for my feet to use when not in the exit row but have not actually used it. There's so little room I'm not sure if I could get it strung up and then still put my feet through it.
Old Mar 29, 19, 4:07 pm

Hammocks and slings that attach to the tray tables are not allowed. You can use items to make your seat space more enjoyable as long as it meets carry on dimensions, doesnít block emergency exits, doesnít block someoneís recline, doesnít attach to any part of the airplane and doesnít block access to and from the aisle.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 29, 19, 4:11 pm

Sorry it posted twice

Last edited by GalleyWench; Mar 29, 19 at 4:12 pm Reason: Duplicate
Old Mar 29, 19, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Welcome to FkyerTalk.

UA might well have different rules than AA, so this question is best asked in the United Airlines forum.
UA Might have a problem with it. They donít allow to charge your phones during take off and landing and even disable power in the outlets. American is more lax when it comes to safety (not saying itís a good or bad thing) or so it seems.
I was on Iberia Express flight last year and FAs pretty much made all of us in exit row to read safety card on how to open exit door 🙄 and I got yelled at for wearing earphones during taxi because Iím seated at the exit row and they donít allow that. As soon as she took her seat I put my earphones back on 💁.♂️
Old Apr 4, 19, 2:10 pm

That’s terrible. Couldn’t just lift it on their laps for a moment?
Old Apr 4, 19, 6:57 pm
formerly AtomicLush

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA Platinum Pro (DH = EXP), Delta Gold
Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
I've used an inflatable footrest in the exit row on the LAX-SYD flight and it was great. Since it was only the two of us, it wasn't obtrusive and probably less obnoxious than bringing down my rollaboard to put my feet on. No complaints from anyone. I've only ever deployed it when I've been in the exit row.
Do you mean bulkhead? I thought they were prohibited for exit rows.
Old Apr 4, 19, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by hawkfan7314 View Post
Has anyone ever brought/used one on board? I am doing the LAX/SYD flight at the begining of Jan and have Row 24 which is an exit row but without a row in front. (LAV/Galley Area) Do you think I would be allowed to have it or are their requirements to have the area clear at all times, not just Takeoff and Landing?
Recently flew DFW-HKG on 77W, seated on 31c and used my inflatable footrest all through the flight with no problems.
Old Apr 4, 19, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by AtomicLush View Post
Do you mean bulkhead? I thought they were prohibited for exit rows.
Nope - it was the exit row, by the door. Maybe they're more strict now - this was a couple of years ago
Old Apr 5, 19, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, HH Diamond
We actually ended up moving into a MCE seat and purchasing leg holders that strap onto the tray table. Worked good to elevate your legs or even stick your feet on bring them off the floor.

Search this Thread