Flying with a child on their birthday

Old Nov 20, 18, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Flying with a child on their birthday

My son is turning one next week, and on his birthday we will be flying to LAX and SYD. Should I let the crew know? I donít want a full fledged celebration, but there is part of me that thinks we should commemorate it with people being able to sign a card, or book with well wishes. Thoughts?
Old Nov 20, 18, 1:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Sure! Presuming you're bringing your own card or book, I'm sure the crew will be happy to make it special. It wouldn't hurt if he was particularly well-behaved during the flight, though...
Puppenstein likes this.
Old Nov 20, 18, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Believe me, no one wants him to continue his excellent track record of being the model traveler, than his parents. It does help that he always has his own seat. Last week, he slept through all four landings and three out of the four takeoffs on CRJís. Iím not sure how he will do on a super long flight though, as I donít think anyone loves those!
Old Nov 20, 18, 3:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Ours have flown since 5 weeks old in the case of the first - those were the best flights because she just slept all the time. Up to 2 years old was okay but 2-4 they just want to get up and explore all the time -- lots of distractions help but it can still be rough. Now we're heading into 5-7 years olds where iPads, coloring books and games will generally keep them occupied. Good luck!
Puppenstein and MarkOK like this.
Old Nov 20, 18, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Puppenstein View Post
My son is turning one next week, and on his birthday we will be flying to LAX and SYD. Should I let the crew know? I donít want a full fledged celebration, but there is part of me that thinks we should commemorate it with people being able to sign a card, or book with well wishes. Thoughts?
I thought it was the birthday boy's job to make an unrealistic wish on his birthday? ...because, that's what this is.

I'm sure the crew will be kind and all if you let them know. But I wouldn't expect anything beyond a candy bar and a smile.
Old Nov 20, 18, 2:30 pm

What exactly does a card or book mean to a one year old anyway? something to chew on? If you think the kid will look back on that in 20 years or whatever and think special thoughts about how much he was loved on his 1st birthday, I doubt it. He will throw the thing out without thinking any of those thoughts. Sorry, give him a new clean pacifier and he will be just as happy
Old Nov 20, 18, 3:05 pm

Programs: 120% Airline Free Agent, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Leisuremiles View Post
What exactly does a card or book mean to a one year old anyway? something to chew on? If you think the kid will look back on that in 20 years or whatever and think special thoughts about how much he was loved on his 1st birthday, I doubt it. He will throw the thing out without thinking any of those thoughts. Sorry, give him a new clean pacifier and he will be just as happy
Or at the other end of the spectrum:
Maybe the crew will let him land.
riphamilton likes this.
Old Nov 20, 18, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / MLife Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Explorist / United Silver
When I was six weeks* old (or two months... his story changes all the time), my father took me on my first flight - a Korean Air 747 from JFK to Anchorage to Seoul Gimpo.

He says that the flight attendant took pity on him and carried me around throughout the flight so that he could catch some sleep (also they didn't trust a 29 year old man traveling with a child )

Perhaps AA can hold your 1 year old so that you can get some sleep
Puppenstein likes this.
Old Nov 20, 18, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by econometrics View Post
I thought it was the birthday boy's job to make an unrealistic wish on his birthday? ...because, that's what this is.

I'm sure the crew will be kind and all if you let them know. But I wouldn't expect anything beyond a candy bar and a smile.
Originally Posted by Leisuremiles View Post
There are the responses from people who arenít parents, who evidently donít understand the meaning of memories and evidently didnít have parents who cared to do anything special. With your logic, why take pictures of them when they were born, and throughout their first year? After all, he wonít likely remember most of that. Giving passengers and crew the option to give their travel suggestions for future trips, and well wishes isnít asking for anything unreasonable. No one has to participate. My parents kept things for us like baby books, pictures, cards, gifts that Iíd never remember first-hand, but cherish today.
LovePrunes and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 20, 18, 3:21 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by samwise6222 View Post
If the 1 year old can open a Barclay's card, AA will certainly be happy to oblige!
samwise6222, dp4m and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 20, 18, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

When I was six weeks* old (or two months... his story changes all the time), my father took me on my first flight - a Korean Air 747 from JFK to Anchorage to Seoul Gimpo.

He says that the flight attendant took pity on him and carried me around throughout the flight so that he could catch some sleep (also they didn't trust a 29 year old man traveling with a child )

An example of an FA with some compassion and empathy. Too few of those, these days. Very sweet story, that likely you donít remember, but that your father cherishes.
samwise6222 likes this.
Old Nov 20, 18, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / MLife Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Explorist / United Silver
Originally Posted by Puppenstein View Post

An example of an FA with some compassion and empathy. Too few of those, these days. Very sweet story, that likely you don’t remember, but that your father cherishes.

Indeed!

When I was 10, my father booked us a flight to Miami to visit the Disney World...... and it wasn't until when we were boarding that he realized that we had to go to Orlando (when someone else pointed out to him that the Disney World was in Orlando), not Miami.

The GA took pity on him, and changed our ticket to Orlando.

Another thing that doesn't happen anymore.
Puppenstein and donotblink like this.
Old Nov 20, 18, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Indeed!

When I was 10, my father booked us a flight to Miami to visit the Disney World...... and it wasn't until when we were boarding that he realized that we had to go to Orlando (when someone else pointed out to him that the Disney World was in Orlando), not Miami.

The GA took pity on him, and changed our ticket to Orlando.

Another thing that doesn't happen anymore.
It sounds like you have a pretty cool Dad, who probably did a lot of funny things, but somehow everything always seemed to work out for.
Old Nov 20, 18, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP LT Plat >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
We travel with friends who like to have their birthdays remembered. Over several years, and as recently as a couple of months ago We have given the crew crepe paper and birthday banners to decorate the seat, brought birthday cakes and cookies that the crew served for dessert and had birthday hats and necklaces to make sure the birthday did not go un noticed. Most crew have been more than helpful.
Puppenstein likes this.
Old Nov 20, 18, 9:18 pm

Programs: aa
Finally, something I can actually help with on FT!

Our son is now in university, but we have done this same type of thing with him when he was very young

We always bring some small gift with a handwritten personal note to the crew. Our experience has been all over...sometimes there is just a polite smile and they kind of play it off, up to a WN flight where the captain came on the PA and had everyone pull their window shades down and turn on their call lights to make it look like candles while he sang happy birthday overhead. A few Asian airlines and QA have put together a model of the plane we were on and they all signed it.

Good luck!
Puppenstein likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: