Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Transferring Marriot pts to Alaska or American

Old Nov 19, 18, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Hi,

So I'm closing my SPG card and would like to transfer my points to either Alaska or American, but I can't decide which would be better. I plan on using the points for a trip to Asia, so originally I thought I should transfer them to Alaska. However, I live in DC so I'm near an American hub, not Alaska. I'm not a fan of American but it's what I usually fly considering I'm next to DCA and IAD. Should I just transfer the points to American even though I won't use them for domestic flights?
Old Nov 19, 18, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by stixix View Post
Hi,

So I'm closing my SPG card and would like to transfer my points to either Alaska or American, but I can't decide which would be better. I plan on using the points for a trip to Asia, so originally I thought I should transfer them to Alaska. However, I live in DC so I'm near an American hub, not Alaska. I'm not a fan of American but it's what I usually fly considering I'm next to DCA and IAD. Should I just transfer the points to American even though I won't use them for domestic flights?
For an award trip from WAS to Asia, I would choose AA miles over AS miles. But those are not your only alternatives. What foreign carriers fly IAD-Asia, and are any of them -- or any of their frequent-flyer partners -- Marriott transfer partners?

Also, be sure to check redemption rates and cash surcharges, as these can vary widely from one FFP to another, even for travel on the exact same award flights .
Old Nov 19, 18, 5:37 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott PLT; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
"Asia" isn't nearly specific enough to provide helpful advice.

I do think it's worth pointing out that you don't have to transfer your points now - closing your SPG card won't affect the Marriott points in your account. And there's nothing beyond the standard 25% bonus to transfer to either program.
Old Nov 21, 18, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A View Post
you don't have to transfer your points now
This. Keep your points in SPG / Marriott until you know on which airline you'll redeem them. Every 24 months you'll need to earn at least 1 Marriott point to keep them alive.
Old Nov 22, 18, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
1. No rush to transfer points out of Marriott. Just keep them alive
2. Wait for a transfer bonus
3. A foreign ffp (especially Asian) often gives better value, if you're willing to do some homework. (i.e. far fewer miles / Marriott points for the exact same itinerary)
Old Nov 22, 18, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
For my travel plans, Marriott points are more valuable than airline miles.

1) much easier to get airline miles via new credit cards than hotels.
2) Top Marriott hotels are on dale for 60 k points per night (20k if the old SPG points). The Gritti palace in Venice used to cost 105k in high season, thatís an amazing discount.

3)availability is way , way better.