Which way would you route to LHR?

Old Nov 17, 18, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Which way would you route to LHR?

traveling with two adults and an infant with a seat From SFO-LHR. Able to apply SWUs to all three.

currently booked through PHL. Already have a row of PE seats selected on the 332 to PHL but only showing J1 to LHR so if I keep this itin I will basically get domestic F for free on the transcon and hopefully a whole 4-seat row in coach on the 333 to LHR and not end up using any SWUs.

I could reroute via JFK and J looks wide open on the 77W to LHR but only J3 on the A321T so likely sitting in the back (or could split records and try for one or two upgrades). That would be a nice ride over the pond but using a SWU while stuck in Y for the domestic transcon. Flagship lounge in JFK a nice plus for the 2-3 hour layover.

DFW is probably third option with not as good but still ok J availability but no flagship lounge and likely coach to DFW and could be a crapshoot on the J upgrade.

Wish I could go via LAX but arrives too late in LHR for our plans.

Not considering any other hub (ord, Mia, clt).
Old Nov 17, 18, 8:49 am
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Talking

Originally Posted by lightbulbs View Post

Wish I could go via LAX but arrives too late in LHR for our plans.

Best option: Change plans :-)
limeyx and Beltway2A like this.
Old Nov 17, 18, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by BLG View Post
Best option: Change plans :-)
heh heh yup -- who lets plans get in the way of a better routing ???
Old Nov 17, 18, 12:07 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
LAX would be best, next would be JFK on the 321T. Anything after that is similar, pick based on upgrade availability and schedule.
Old Nov 17, 18, 12:14 pm

Iím on the west coast as well and it pains me the few times I route thru the east coast. The LAX-LHR and DFW-LHR AA flights are the best, lengthy enough to sleep and no crappy east coast weather and air traffic to deal with. Not sure on your dates but there is a new LHR route starting up in the future, LHR-PHX i think? But if i go thru the east coast i invariably take the daytime flight to LHR, and have found it can have decent Y-C upgrade space. Also, dont forget RDU-LHR, folks have told me that is a solid one for Y-C SWU SWU upgrades.
Old Nov 17, 18, 12:21 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
Originally Posted by stephem View Post
Iím on the west coast as well and it pains me the few times I route thru the east coast. The LAX-LHR and DFW-LHR AA flights are the best, lengthy enough to sleep and no crappy east coast weather and air traffic to deal with. Not sure on your dates but there is a new LHR route starting up in the future, LHR-PHX i think? But if i go thru the east coast i invariably take the daytime flight to LHR, and have found it can have decent Y-C upgrade space. Also, dont forget RDU-LHR, folks have told me that is a solid one for Y-C SWU SWU upgrades.
Yep. RDU-LHR has cleared at booking every time I have taken it.
Old Nov 17, 18, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
I like the FL lounge at JFK. The problem with JFK-LHR is that it is a -very- short flight and not conducive for sleep. We're talking about the same amount of time it takes to go from JFK to LAX or SFO.
Old Nov 17, 18, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would nonetheless route through JFK given that the TCON is a "premium" service. Flying roughly half the route on a standard domestic bird can't really be made up for by the TATL bit.
Old Nov 17, 18, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Head View Post

Yep. RDU-LHR has cleared at booking every time I have taken it.
RDU would require a double connection from SFO though, so not quite useful for OP's scenario.
Head likes this.
Old Nov 17, 18, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I would nonetheless route through JFK given that the TCON is a "premium" service. Flying roughly half the route on a standard domestic bird can't really be made up for by the TATL bit.
But the LAX-PHL 332 is not a "Domestic Bird". First is Lie Flats.

Last edited by perseus11; Nov 17, 18 at 11:03 pm
Old Nov 18, 18, 1:25 am

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum Pro, World of Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Rewards Silver
Originally Posted by perseus11 View Post
But the LAX-PHL 332 is not a "Domestic Bird". First is Lie Flats.
Yes, but OP mentioned PE on the 332, which is essentially a Domestic F seat
Old Nov 18, 18, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Good move avoiding ORD. More to the point, anything where you are in a 788 sardine can.
Old Nov 18, 18, 12:33 pm

Programs: AS DL
The best SFO-LHR routes are where the transatlantic portion is the longest. This allows some sleep. BOS-LHR is too short to sleep but long enough so that you're tired.

The least tiring route takes 2 days of travel. That is SFO-JFK / ORD / BOS / IAD / YYZ during the day and then a daytime transatlantic flight the next day, arriving at LHR at night, not the morning. For example, a made up itinerary might be a SFO-JFK 830 am - 4:30 pm Monday, JFK-LHR 9:00 am - 9:00 pm Tuesday. There are flights that resemble this.
Old Nov 18, 18, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
As you see in my bio, I'm in DFW, so consider this biased...

I would route via DFW. There's 787 service DFW-SFO right now, which would be a more comfortable ride to anywhere but JFK. However, it's just a 2.5 hour flight to DFW, then a nice 8-9 ride to SFO. This vs. 4-5 to JFK, then 6-7 to LHR.

Give me a short + long vs. a medium + medium length flight any day.

Your chances clearing DFW-LHR are pretty good, depending on your EQD. I've never missed an upgrade to / from LHR via DFW as an EXP, and I do that route 8-10x per year.
Old Nov 18, 18, 1:04 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
PHL connections can be very painful, especially returning to the USA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: