Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

No Fast Track security @ LHR T3 for EXPs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit

AA EXP flying LHR-DFW in W today. Denied access to Fast Track security, because my boarding pass didn't show first/business, and I didn't have an "invitation." (Wasn't even allowed to scan my boarding pass.)

Is this correct/normal?

​​​​
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
AA EXP flying LHR-DFW in W today. Denied access to Fast Track security, because my boarding pass didn't show first/business, and I didn't have an "invitation." (Wasn't even allowed to scan my boarding pass.)

Is this correct/normal?

​​​​
This recent thread shows that it's really a YMMV situation if you don't have the fast track card which the FA's hand out. Some emeralds say they have been able to use Fast Track, others say they were denied. (LHR Immigration) Fast Track as an Emerald

That said, I just checked Fast Track cards I have from both BA and AA.

AA's simply says 'as one of our most valued customers'.
BA's specifically calls out first, club world, club europe, BA exec club gold/silver, Oneworld emerald and sapphire
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:36 am

i was never denied at T5 as sapphire. what about others?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dave_261
This recent thread shows that it's really a YMMV situation if you don't have the fast track card which the FA's hand out. Some emeralds say they have been able to use Fast Track, others say they were denied. (LHR Immigration) Fast Track as an Emerald

That said, I just checked Fast Track cards I have from both BA and AA.

AA's simply says 'as one of our most valued customers'.
BA's specifically calls out first, club world, club europe, BA exec club gold/silver, Oneworld emerald and sapphire
I believe you're referring to Fast Track immigration, which is supposed to be for premium cabin customers only. My post was discussing Fast Track (departure) security.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:50 am

I believe you're referring to Fast Track immigration, which is supposed to be for premium cabin customers only. My post was discussing Fast Track (departure) security.
Oops sorry! I apparently can't read very early on a Saturday! So now that I'm more awake, this is directly from the OW website which shows you should have been eligible.

Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:33 am

They have become very strict. After complaints by AA I was told. He told me Plat and up could take two guests but no more (we were 1 plat and 3 golds). Flying in PE not eligible either.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dave_261
Oops sorry! I apparently can't read very early on a Saturday! So now that I'm more awake, this is directly from the OW website which shows you should have been eligible.

Hmm. How does one get the required printed invitation?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Hmm. How does one get the required printed invitation?
An invitation is not supposed to be required for Fast Track security. (It is required for Fast Track immigration)

What is unclear from the OW website screenshot posted above is if the policy described there covers both main security and transfer security. Or just main security.

I've only been through the new LHR T3 FCC once on a T3-T3 connection since it opened, and on that instance the non-Fast Track line was shorter than the Fast Track, so I didn't even bother trying FastTrack.

Last edited by bse118; Nov 18, 2018 at 9:00 am Reason: Reading comprehension error on my part.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is this correct/normal?

​​​​
If this was an origination in Heathrow ( not connecting ), It was incorrect - According to https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/emerald-privileges , LHR T3 is one of the places where there is fast track departure security
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:16 am

The OneWorld website is generally correct, however it appears that if flying BA, there are then some special rules at Heathrow which apply.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...rt/heathrow-t3

Emerald and Sapphire + one guest should have access to Fast Track security at both T3 and T5, which is consistent with the signage at the entrance to Fast Track. I am not sure that this applies to any other airline than BA.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
If you aren’t in J just eyeball the seats on the way out. Quite a few will be EU, don’t need the invitation and just leave them behind.

Pick one up and you are good to go. They are no longer hi-viz red. Rather, it just a glossy printout with the logo about 5x5"
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AATrout
If you aren’t in J just eyeball the seats on the way out. Quite a few will be EU, don’t need the invitation and just leave them behind.

Pick one up and you are good to go. They are no longer hi-viz red. Rather, it just a glossy printout with the logo about 5x5"
Again: the invitations are for fast track immigration. The OP's question was about fast track security. Two different things. No invitation card is supposed to be required for fast track security.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:22 am

that said, why is "fast track" not marketed to sapphire? SkyTeam offers "sky priority"...
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:44 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Connecting T5 to T3 (flying to JFK) even when flying in coach as an EXP I was allowed to use Fast Track security.
One time a FA gave me a FT card(for immigration) which was not looked at, my EMERALD/EXP status was needed--they have a scanner for bps that lets you into the FT area.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
T3 FT Immigration (Arrivals) almost always needs a printed invite card, which are distributed by BA and AA before landing. You can argue with the agent, show them your EXP card or even J boarding pass all day, and they won't usually budge.

As noted above, FT Security is different. I've never been denied, and I never bring the printed invite. Though I did have to pull up my EXP card in my Apple Wallet last month and then explain to the agent that Emerald = BA Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.