Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 - End of year roll call

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
EQD: 32,953
EQM: 130,857
EQS: 91

Still got BOS:HKG:SIN:NRT:BOS and a couple more short ones...

OYE.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
EQD: $23.5K
EQM: 124K
EQS: 122
~20 non-AA/OW flights

Will likely have ~6 segments and 10K more miles this year, so happy that December will be a below average month. Ideally will have a lower travel year next year.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
I posted my stats picture up above, but I just did some cleanup (adding things to my google flight tracking sheet and myflightradar24, both in sig) and reflected on what happened this year, and I just wanted to shamelessly brag a bit about how well I dialed things in.

To recap, I'm at 17,263 EQD, 106,253 EQM and 111 EQS. In my last post I said I probably had a couple more domestic trips, but I actually think that's less than 50% likely; I may well be done for the year. So I pretty much just barely got over the line; in fact, I hit the target on the very last flight I took (AKL-LAX), which incidentally happened last year too (SEA-ORD-COU on 2017-12-14 to finish at 103k). Of course I would have shoehorned in some other flight if I had come up just short.

Mostly I fly for business (all domestic), but work won't fly me to 100k EQM, so I try to estimate what I'll have to do myself to get over the line. I started this year assuming they'd fly me around 75k EQM while easily covering the EQD requirement. Turns out I was right on the money: work-paid flights totaled 75,511 EQM and 14,085 EQD.

I flew exactly two AA round-trip itineraries on my own dime this year: IAH-LAX-SYD and LAX-AKL. The total cost was about $2,200, and they earned me 30,742 EQM and 3,178 EQD. The EQD well outstripped the actual spend because the SYD flights were bulk tickets that earned by distance as special fares. Both trips were paid for with Chase UR points, and all six legs therein were successfully upgraded to business with a total of 4 SWUs. Both trips were actual vacations BTW; I hope I never fly somewhere just to turn around and fly back.

I also flew several award flights this year, which was a new thing for me; previously I had shied away from them as I wanted to make sure I hit status. Last year that probably saved me from having to do a December run of some kind. But this year I was ahead of the pace from the beginning and figured I didn't need more personal travel than I had already scheduled; turns out I was right, and now I feel Very Smart(tm). I used AA miles to fly a one-way LAS-SAF (I was working in LAS; got the company to fly me SAF-DFW-COU instead of LAS-DFW-COU cause it was cheaper) and to position for the LAX-AKL trip (this was awesome: I booked about 10 flights surrounding those dates and then cancelled/redeposited all except the two I ended up using, which gave me a ton of flexibility). I transferred some UR points to BA to fly to MUC for Octoberfest, then used some AA miles to fly back (all in J). But the best redemption I got was the Etihad Apartments from AUH-JFK for 115k AA miles; that was after a cheap ($500) Norwegian one-way ORD-CDG in premium econ and an Emirates one-way CDG-DXB (which I booked in cheap econ and then upgraded to J for a total cost around $600). There's a lot to be said for flying around with your own butler and taking a shower on the plane just before you land...

When all was said and done, I spent fun time (not working!) in Cocoa Beach, Santa Fe, San Diego, Seattle, NYC, Sydney, Paris, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Munich, and all over New Zealand and spent about $1200 of Real Money(tm) on airplane tickets. And just barely hit EXP again, while flying in J 82% of the time on my work flights (none of which were actually booked in J). If I didn't know better, I'd think I might actually be getting good at this.
Science Goy and Spanish like this.

Last edited by HLCinCOU; Nov 24, 2018 at 3:12 pm
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP

Hit EXP back in June. 2 more round trips to LAX and then I’ll be done. First flight next year will be Jan 7.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite

Two upcoming flights this week and next week that will put me at 102,000 and give me EXP.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
14k EQD and 106k EQM right now via 81 segments.

still got 10 or so flights to go on the year.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
EQD: 13,500
EQM: 121,900
EQS: 27

From what's posted here my 4500 mile average segment reigns supreme.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by dsquared37

Not really.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum
I'm a lightweight compared to most of you. Platinum is going to be the sweet spot for the foreseeable future for me.

Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37

Second post in the thread, thelark has 105,444 EQM in 21 segments for 5021 EQM/EQS. Willing to bet there are more up in that range. Still, I for one am very envious of your pattern; every time I see these comparisons I think to myself "man I'm really doing this the hard way" with my <1000 EQM/EQS pattern.
dsquared37 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP

Can't really be bothered anymore. I have been flying with other airlines and have been burning up my AA miles all year - without sounding too brash (sorry!!) I even bought my own plane for 1000 mile trips or less because I'm simply fed up. They don't get it and they don't care which makes me ever so happy about the fact that I sold all of our AA stock a couple of years ago too.

Parker says that people don't complain about legroom etc.... If you choose the questions AND the available answers on these surveys then they (AA MGMT) only hear the answers they they want to hear. They are useless! I flew on first to Barbados the other day in F, on the new 737 MAX(ed) and it was awful. Plastic cheap seats that were already falling apart and no airshow/moving map. I honestly think I could do a better job of running an airline than these muppets.

I'm going rogue and I'll take with it my family and business that I have and the friends/business that I have influence over.

I still have my 4 SWUs that I have been UNABLE to use (not without trying).......... Waste of time.

*** If AA MGMT reads this, please PM me. I'd love to talk.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:05 pm

Guess you're gonna need to change that handle IflyonAA
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
EQD = $14,361
EQM = 111,816
EQS = 29

Still have: JFK-CUN-JFK (AA Y pending upgrade), JFK-HEL-SVO (AY J) and ARN-HEL-JFK (AY J) left to fly before 12/31.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Second post in the thread, thelark has 105,444 EQM in 21 segments for 5021 EQM/EQS. Willing to bet there are more up in that range. Still, I for one am very envious of your pattern; every time I see these comparisons I think to myself "man I'm really doing this the hard way" with my <1000 EQM/EQS pattern.
have one more trip booked this year that should net another 19k eqm with 2 segments, bringing the average up to 5410

sure there are are plenty here who can beat that though - think there are a few posted in here.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM Hilton Diamond Bon Voy Lifetime Platinum Elite
I will end the year at EQD= 16,120 EQM 155,000 and EQS 130

I also crossed the 2mm in October.... so racking up some SWU's for the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.