Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 - End of year roll call

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Bartonio
Ok, seems I misunderstood CK eligibility - I thought it was auto-awarded at 3M miles, not sure why Inthought that? Does 3M miles mean anything other than less than 4M?

3M= 4 more SWUs and not much more.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Will hit EXP again this weekend after JFK-LAX-JFK in FC. Still have a tropical trip later this month too. Cabo in Jan.....among other less exciting destinations.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Dec 4, 2018 at 8:02 pm
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by MorganB
My flying is all personal. No business trips. Some international in Business or Premium economy. A mix of first and main cabin for domestic. I've been platinum for about 5 years now. This is the first time I've passed that thanks to new credit cards.
I contribute my higher status to two things: credit cards earning EQM/EQD and International Premium Economy. I am much more willing to travel internationally thanks to the roll out of Premium Economy. In the past I would book Business as long as it was around 3k return but if it was more then I was reluctant to book Economy as I didn't want to fly in economy for long distances and would white knuckle it until my miles - co-pay upgrades cleared. So sometimes I simply would not plan a trip as Business class was too pricey. I now book a combination of Business and Premium Economy depending on the price of Business so I travel more frequently.
That sounds a lot like how my earnings have been in recent years and this year -- and this has been my first time hitting EXP too. While the credit card definitely helped with the EQD and EQM, what finally pushed me over was a first trip to Hawaii with my s.o. over Thanksgiving week. Given the special occasion and the busy travel time, we ended up having to do J class fares on CLT-DFW-HNL and thus earned us triple EQM.

With no more flights planned for year, it looks like I'll end up with:

EQD: 22,472
EQM: 115,613
EQS: 44
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by Antarius
can you post a screenshot of the dials/counters? I'm curious what triple digit EQD field looks like

that is absolutely incredible.
Sure!

And to address a couple of the other comments/questions: I am an IT consultant for a very small company (with a focus on security). And yeah, it's a lot of segments for sure, but don't forget, if you don't live in a hub city, you (generally speaking) get 2 segments every week when you leave your house and 2 when you return. I'm actually a bit surprised at how low my segment count is. I travel every single week (this year the only week I won't travel is the week of Christmas, and I will travel the week of New Year), so that's like 200 segments right there. I often hit multiple cities in a week...for example, this week I'm in 5 cities. I guess all of the times that I do have single segment travel (like if I happen to be traveling to/from one of the cities with direct service to my home) it offsets the crazy weeks to a greater extent than I thought.
Antarius, AANYC1981 and AA100k like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ikwia
Sure!

And to address a couple of the other comments/questions: I am an IT consultant for a very small company (with a focus on security). And yeah, it's a lot of segments for sure, but don't forget, if you don't live in a hub city, you (generally speaking) get 2 segments every week when you leave your house and 2 when you return. I'm actually a bit surprised at how low my segment count is. I travel every single week (this year the only week I won't travel is the week of Christmas, and I will travel the week of New Year), so that's like 200 segments right there. I often hit multiple cities in a week...for example, this week I'm in 5 cities. I guess all of the times that I do have single segment travel (like if I happen to be traveling to/from one of the cities with direct service to my home) it offsets the crazy weeks to a greater extent than I thought.
Wow ! I salute you. I personally find US Domestic travel to be really tiring and not very interesting. Obviously
you must like your job so much that you accept to do it. Good for you. You must know your local GA, Lounge
Agents etc. so well...Do you get any additional recognition from AA (other than CK) ? If I was AA, you are
a customer that I would never disappoint :-)
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Sure!

I ju

I congrats you , all my travel is international, so at least I am not in and out of airports all the time
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, UA Plat.

All in Y (with a few legs of PE on BA, IB, and JL thrown in). All for business. No CC bonuses. Still have one more ORD-SEA RT next week.

Some additional stats from OpenFlights.org for all of my flights this year:
64 segments
113368 miles
10 days 18:46
Airports 26
Carriers 10
Countries 8
Longest NRTDFW, 6414 mi, 13:20
Shortest BLQFCO, 194 mi, 00:53
Average 1771 mi, 04:02
MorganB likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Sure!

omg this is impressive - have to ask if you are CK
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by flyalways
Wow ! I salute you. I personally find US Domestic travel to be really tiring and not very interesting. Obviously
you must like your job so much that you accept to do it. Good for you. You must know your local GA, Lounge
Agents etc. so well...Do you get any additional recognition from AA (other than CK) ? If I was AA, you are
a customer that I would never disappoint :-)
Yeah, domestic travel isn't exciting, and I'm usually bouncing between just a few cities. Going somewhere different -- even if "lame" is cool for me . I know everyone at the airports I frequent...and even at big airports (CLT, DFW) the lounge staff all greet me by name. That is nice. And yes, I am blessed that I love my work. I am at the point where NOT traveling is more uncomfortable than traveling.

I do not get any additional recognition AFAIK. Well, I get a hug at one of my frequent airports from the GAs The front line workers just know that you're CK...no info about "how much of a CK" you are. Generally, they do NOT disappoint me, but I'm not sure that is specific to me vs applying to all CK. And honestly, I'm not sure AA cares that much about me. I say that not based on the way I've been treated, but:

1. let's be honest, losing any one customer is not a big deal to them
2. my EQD:EQM is lower than many other CKs
3. I had similar, but not quite as high, numbers the last several years. Yet, I qualified for CK in late 2017 only from a challenge. I am actually worried about requalifying. Yes, I'm serious.

Making the qualification criteria for CK opaque is brilliant for AA. I took several ridiculous trips this year (and one very notable international trip) because I wanted to maximize my EQD (and I guess also EQM) and hence my chances of making CK. If I knew the criteria, and knew I'd requalify, I would have put some of those flights elsewhere. And not for status, but for a MUCH better experience on those flights. If i lose CK, some of my most profitable travel will move to other airlines because there isn't a benefit to accumulating more EQD or EQM if I am not going to make CK. (yes, I know upgrades are by rolling EQD, but honestly, who's competing with me there?)

i don't want to hijack this thread, so any further discussion should probably be moved to a different thread.
Dedicated, flyalways and exmike like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Almost A Tragedy

I just got home from my last flight of the year and here's what I show:
EQM: 75,638
EQD: 8,989

It goes without saying that I calculated my stats in advance to go over $9K. My last trip was a special fare and should have reaped 580 EQD rather than 529.

I still have 3K EQD coming from the Aviator credit card, so when those post I'll hit PP.

But what a tragedy it would have been to miss by 11 EQD.

I'll be interested to see if I get a revised buy-up offer before the credit card dollars hit.

Update: I figured out what happened. One of my segments was 236 miles (LAX-LAS). Apparently segments under 500 miles on special fares do not count as 500 miles but rather the actual miles flown when calculating EQD's. Glad I learned this without nasty consequences, as I could easily have picked a different routing to make $9K without the credit card dollars.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA-PLT,-EXEC 2.7MM + UA-Former1k
All I can say is respect - I did 117 segments in 2013 and hope to never do that again...American really needs to do more for people who suffer through that many boarding and arrival announcements - somewhere at 536 for you, or approximately 1.3 per day per year. :-O
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
I do not get any additional recognition AFAIK. Well, I get a hug at one of my frequent airports from the GAs The front line workers just know that you're CK...no info about "how much of a CK" you are. Generally, they do NOT disappoint me, but I'm not sure that is specific to me vs applying to all CK. And honestly, I'm not sure AA cares that much about me. I say that not based on the way I've been treated, but:

1. let's be honest, losing any one customer is not a big deal to them
2. my EQD:EQM is lower than many other CKs
3. I had similar, but not quite as high, numbers the last several years. Yet, I qualified for CK in late 2017 only from a challenge. I am actually worried about requalifying. Yes, I'm serious.
This cannot be true - how many people realistically have higher EQD than you do?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by reeg2
This cannot be true - how many people realistically have higher EQD than you do?
I’m sure many, but as a percentage I’m sure it is very low. And surely they want to keep pax like me, but take my comment literally...if my 100K of revenue disappears, this multi-billion dollar company won’t notice. If everyone like me leaves, sure, they’ll notice and care. But any one person won’t show up in any numbers they look at.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HHonors Gold; IHG Platinum
Requalified for EXP with a trip over Thanksgiving, making it 4 years in a row. Have another trip in two weeks. Should end the year with about $15,000 EQD and 115,000 EQM.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
I’ll get to sit at the kids’ table year, with my first ever AA status.

Expect to have just over $3,000 EQD and 33,000 EQM (27 EQS). Still have 6 of those segments left to fly this year.

MorganB likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.