PHL-MEX service ending Jan 9th, 2019

Old Nov 14, 18, 10:55 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, HH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Gold, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
PHL-MEX service ending Jan 9th, 2019

Well that didn't last long :-(

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/business/Only-Months-After-Launch-American-Airlines-Is-Canceling-Route-from-Philadelphia-to-Mexico-500521511.html
Old Nov 15, 18, 10:27 am

Programs: CK or bust
It's interesting that they even acknowledged that the route was just intended to be a feeder for TATL traffic. They may bring it back one day once they finish their long-term "make PHL our primary NE hub" project.
Old Nov 16, 18, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Kinda saw this one coming after seeing dirt cheap Y fares and confirmable C space almost every day in November, on an 8-seat A319 no less (often C1-C2 but up to C3-C4 on some days)! They even changed the return schedule at one point--it used to depart MEX around 9am and arrive PHL around 5pm, but got moved up to 6am-3pm--presumably to improve connectivity with the first bank of European flights.
Old Nov 16, 18, 1:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Originally Posted by enpremiere View Post
It's interesting that they even acknowledged that the route was just intended to be a feeder for TATL traffic. They may bring it back one day once they finish their long-term "make PHL our primary NE hub" project.
Isn't JFK AA's primary NE hub, though?
Old Nov 16, 18, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
AA's "crown jewel" hub can't even support a flight to Latin America's largest market?
Old Nov 16, 18, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
AA's "crown jewel" hub can't even support a flight to Latin America's largest market?
Meh - I have yet to meet anyone who wants to route through PHL if they can get JFK/ORD/DFW/MIA for a TATL connection from Latin America. It's probably why it was such a small plane on that route in the first place.
Old Nov 16, 18, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 View Post
Isn't JFK AA's primary NE hub, though?
Not really, it'll continue to play a role on the trans-cons and to LHR but beyond that, the current AA preference is PHL over JFK.
Old Nov 16, 18, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Meh - I have yet to meet anyone who wants to route through PHL if they can get JFK/ORD/DFW/MIA for a TATL connection from Latin America. It's probably why it was such a small plane on that route in the first place.
count me in that group as well
Old Nov 16, 18, 5:20 pm

So why doesn't AA have a flight from the secondary "Crown Jewel" hub (JFK) to Latin America's largest market if PHL can't support the premiums required ?
Old Nov 16, 18, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by perseus11 View Post
So why doesn't AA have a flight from the secondary "Crown Jewel" hub (JFK) to Latin America's largest market if PHL can't support the premiums required ?
They donít call JFK a crown jewel and itís barely a hub anymore if youíve been there lately.....itís pretty sad at JFK these days seeing the empty gates.
Old Nov 16, 18, 5:46 pm

They donít call JFK a crown jewel and itís barely a hub anymore if youíve been there lately.....itís pretty sad at JFK these days seeing the empty gates.
That was a facetious comment for the benefit of the NYC centrics. Here is the most factual reason for ending PHL-MEX - too much capacity overall: "AA will reduce capacity to Mexico City by 14% in 2019". So it's a network problem (to MEX), of which the new PHL flight was a subset.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...-route-453550/
Old Nov 16, 18, 7:46 pm

Amen to that. It's really just serving NYLON and LAX/SFO. Beyond that, I haven't seen any significant route additions of in quite some time and probably won't anytime soon.
Old Nov 17, 18, 9:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Amen to that. It's really just serving NYLON and LAX/SFO. Beyond that, I haven't seen any significant route additions of in quite some time and probably won't anytime soon.
Hmm, does this have to do with the merger itself, or was JFK already declining prior to the merger? I remember a new terminal being specifically built for AA operations at JFK around 2002 or so.
Old Nov 17, 18, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 View Post
Hmm, does this have to do with the merger itself, or was JFK already declining prior to the merger? I remember a new terminal being specifically built for AA operations at JFK around 2002 or so.
There are no available slots during highly desirable travel times into and out of JFK. This is limiting growth for every airline at JFK. The difference is that AA had fallen far behind DL and B6 in the market. So much so, there is no path to being competitive. Their best option is to use the airport to O&D with some minor feed to TATL routes. Since PHL is not slot controlled and AA is the 800lb gorilla there they are in a better position to grow successfully. I get that some people on here love to hate on PHL as a connecting airport but IMHO there are far worse airports these days. It get it's not as glamorous of an airport as some but it get the job done, it well positioned for TATL connections and doesn't suffer from any issue the NYC airports, ORD, CLT and other obsolete airports don't suffer from.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: