Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Used 500-mile upgrades. Advertised meal not served. Fun response.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist

Flew AA 5345 OKC-CLT today. This flight clearly advertises a lunch service in F on aa.com (and in fact I’ve “enjoyed” it many times).

Used two 500-mile upgrade chits and was successfully upgraded at T-minus 30 or so.

Onboard, no lunch was served. No light lunch either. Just a (single) pass of the snack basket by an atrocious FA. No explanation provided for the absence of the advertised lunch service.

After the flight, I DM’d AA Twitter asking for my two 500-mile chits to be credited back to my account, since no lunch was served. Here was the response:

“We must respectfully decline your request for the 500-mile upgrades to be refunded. We know you didn’t get the full service you expected, but you did get some of the extras that come along in being upgraded.”

Bad timing being patronized like this, coming on the heels of a delightful DL experience last week.
moondog, enviroian and TXguy like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by dpb132
Flew AA 5345 OKC-CLT today. This flight clearly advertises a lunch service in F on aa.com (and in fact I’ve “enjoyed” it many times).

Used two 500-mile upgrade chits and was successfully upgraded at T-minus 30 or so.

Onboard, no lunch was served. No light lunch either. Just a (single) pass of the snack basket by an atrocious FA. No explanation provided for the absence of the advertised lunch service.

After the flight, I DM’d AA Twitter asking for my two 500-mile chits to be credited back to my account, since no lunch was served. Here was the response:

“We must respectfully decline your request for the 500-mile upgrades to be refunded. We know you didn’t get the full service you expected, but you did get some of the extras that come along in being upgraded.”

Bad timing being patronized like this, coming on the heels of a delightful DL experience last week.
Everyone needs a good reason to event but in this case it may not be palatable for you (pun intended): American was right.
  • Full meals are served on departures between 5 a.m. -1:30 p.m. and 4:01 p.m. – 8 p.m.
  • Warmed mixed nuts and Lite Bites are served on departures between 1:31 p.m. – 4 p.m. and after 8:01 p.m.
Your regional-operated CRJ-9 flight was scheduled to depart at 1:49 p.m. and pushed back nine minutes early (yay, you got there on time!).

Just a (single) pass of the snack basket by an atrocious FA.
You mean, atrocious service by an FA? Regrettably that happens too on any airline or in any class of service, flying mainline and regionals alike.

Hopefully you enjoyed a nicer seat!
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
I have done the CLT-OKC-CLT trip a few times in the last 6 months, and since it is all regional the service has been hit and miss.
As exp i dont have to spend any certs, but still much prefer the F seats in these sardine cans.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL PM
Regardless of timing, if it was advertised as lunch service, that's atrocious. Did you go back and check AA.com? And yes, Delta usually does offer a better experience.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Everyone needs a good reason to event but in this case it may not be palatable for you (pun intended): American was right.
  • Full meals are served on departures between 5 a.m. -1:30 p.m. and 4:01 p.m. – 8 p.m.
  • Warmed mixed nuts and Lite Bites are served on departures between 1:31 p.m. – 4 p.m. and after 8:01 p.m..
It’s marketed as a lunch service. Help yourself to a dummy booking to see. If it were marketed as “refreshments” obviously I wouldn’t have complained.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: CK or bust

It’s marketed as a lunch service. Help yourself to a dummy booking to see. If it were marketed as “refreshments” obviously I wouldn’t have complained.
I see exactly what you mean. This sounds like an IT glitch as both the FA and the response were technically correct. The website is not.
samwise6222 and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz

When the agent was upgrading you, did you ask if there was a meal? Heck, I usually ask when I check in so I know whether or not to get something in the airport. I don't trust what is on the AA site.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:10 am

Perhaps send an email in to customer service about the situation. When you get their response, reply with your screenshot. That might entice them to give you something considering there is indeed, at the very least, a misrepresentation here...IT glitch or not.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by enpremiere

I see exactly what you mean. This sounds like an IT glitch as both the FA and the response were technically correct. The website is not.
The meal time chart is not definitive (there are exceptions, some of which aren’t really specified in the policy), and the flight is clearly marketed as a lunch flight.

Also, I’m not sure if this changes anything and I don’t even see why it would be relevant, but regional flights do have different meal policies.

Why do so many customers on here cheer anti-customer moves? Sometimes I think Dougie is paying people to post here disguised as customers.
SK, lowfareair, CMK10 and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:45 am

You flight's scheduled departed time 1:49 pm. Had it been before 1:30 pm, the lunch would have been served. Obviuosly there is some tech glitch which caused incorrect info to be displayed, but the standard policy was followed.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jktraveler
You flight's scheduled departed time 1:49 pm. Had it been before 1:30 pm, the lunch would have been served. Obviuosly there is some tech glitch which caused incorrect info to be displayed, but the standard policy was followed.
Are you saying that the customer is supposed to hunt for the official meal policy, parse its words, and then figure out that when AA states that a meal will be served on the flight, AA is wrong about its own service?
SK, lowfareair, ijgordon and 12 others like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:18 am

A true customer-first company would realize this as a company error and recognize there's a VERY simple way to delight a Platinum customer. Even a happy medium of 'totally understand your frustration, and we will return one of the 500-mile upgrades to your account' would have been a fair and equitable response.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by dave_261
A true customer-first company would realize this as a company error and recognize there's a VERY simple way to delight a Platinum customer. Even a happy medium of 'totally understand your frustration, and we will return one of the 500-mile upgrades to your account' would have been a fair and equitable response.
Sadly I think in the eyes of AA (and maybe other large airlines) a mid tier status isn't worth pleasing.
dpb132 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The mistake by the OP was in asking for a refund*. Ask for a refund of $/miles/ecerts or SWUs and AA will dig in its heels. Express disappointment and likely some miles would have been thrown his way.

* and not searching for the big Compensation thread in this forum
Often1 and enpremiere like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you saying that the customer is supposed to hunt for the official meal policy, parse its words, and then figure out that when AA states that a meal will be served on the flight, AA is wrong about its own service?
I think it is very appropriate for the customer to ask the AAgent, while they are getting upgraded, "Do you know if there will be a meal on this flight?" Or do you feel that is inappropriate?

When I was an AA Plat, I just always requested upgrades, since I had so many stickers (and still have over 45 in my account), and it was such a rare occurance to get upgraded. I was thankful just for the better seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.