Wiki Posts
Search

EQD for trip returning after Jan 1

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American
EQD for trip returning after Jan 1

I have a trip scheduled for Dec 27-Jan 3. When will EQDs be earned for this trip? I am guessing I will get (around) half of the EQDs for this year and half for next year, but am not sure.
Also I am not able to tell what the price is for each segment ( direct flights RT ) for aa.com. I am paying First Class so it is a significant # of EQDs and will make a big difference in how many more EQDs I will need to reach Platinum (won't be "OnlyGold" anymore after 25 years).
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The EQDs for the outbound will credit to 2018 and the EQDs for the return will credit in 2019

How the split will be will be down to the fare breakdown. If it is simply a fare where outbound is same as return , or if it is a fare that credits on distance, then EQDs will be 50% this year and 50% next year
enpremiere likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by OnlyGold
I have a trip scheduled for Dec 27-Jan 3. When will EQDs be earned for this trip? I am guessing I will get (around) half of the EQDs for this year and half for next year, but am not sure.
Also I am not able to tell what the price is for each segment ( direct flights RT ) for aa.com. I am paying First Class so it is a significant # of EQDs and will make a big difference in how many more EQDs I will need to reach Platinum (won't be "OnlyGold" anymore after 25 years).
you can call AAdvatage customer service and ask for fare breakdown if you want to be sure how much you will earn for inbound and outbound. Keep in mind that taxes and fees won’t post as EQDs
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: CK or bust
It is certainly tough to ascertain - EQMs can be relatively easily calculated just by knowing the fare letter code and plugging in airports using tools like this but EQD breakdowns by sector are difficult or next to impossible to break part without the help of an agent.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Have a similar issue, leaving 25 dec and returning Jan 4 ,
at this point will see what I get for 2019..
(but then again not bothered, already reached my goals this year)
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I have no idea how AA does it, on DL I've noticed they have consistently split the MQD earnings in half on roundtrip bookings even when two different fares are involved. If you book as one-way's, then it will be based on the individual fares.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LBJ
While I have no idea how AA does it, on DL I've noticed they have consistently split the MQD earnings in half on roundtrip bookings even when two different fares are involved. If you book as one-way's, then it will be based on the individual fares.
AA does it by each individual flight. So there isn't really a way to know other than calling and asking for a fare breakdown.

I have had a RT where 90% of the EQD was on 1 segment in a 4 segment round trip.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
AA does it by each individual flight. So there isn't really a way to know other than calling and asking for a fare breakdown.

I have had a RT where 90% of the EQD was on 1 segment in a 4 segment round trip.
While you had 4 segments, it's most likely the case that only 2 fare components were involved (one for the outbound, and a second for the return). In cases where multiple segments are covered on a single fare component, I believe all the airlines will split it up based on the distance of each segment under the fare component. Here's an example of a DTW-STL roundtrip with a connection in Chicago (only 2 fare components -- S basis outbound and O return). Not particularly important to OP as he will only care about the outbound and return fare components (and not a segment-by-segment breakdown).

Fare Construction (can be useful to travel agents)
DTT AA X/CHI AA STL 172.09SUAHZNB1 AA X/CHI AA DTT 59.53OVAHUSB5 USD 231.62 END ZP DTW ORD STL ORD XT 17.38US 16.40ZP 11.20AY 18.00XF DTW4.50 ORD4.50 STL4.50 ORD4.50
Fare 1: Carrier AA SUAHZNB1 DTT to STL (rules)Passenger type ADT, one-way fare, booking code BCovers DTW-ORD (Economy), ORD-STL (Economy)$172.09
Fare 2: Carrier AA OVAHUSB5 STL to DTT (rules)Passenger type ADT, one-way fare, booking code BCovers STL-ORD (Economy), ORD-DTW (Economy)$59.53

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.