Community
Wiki Posts
Search

East Coast to SFO - A330 or 321T?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Setting aside the difference in ground service at JFK vs. PHL, I'm not a huge fan of the 321T. Yes, the F seat is very good. But I've noticed that the seat is very sensitive to vibration of the floor of the aircraft. Specifically, every time someone walks past the seat, the seat vibrated noticeably. I'm not sure if I'd be able to sleep well under those circumstances. Not sure if this is specific to only the 321T examples I've flown or if it's widespread. In contrast, I've never had that issue on any widebody aircraft.

The AA 332 aircraft I've flown are really not aging well at all. The design of the J seat is fine, but they're really beat up and cleaning is a joke (the far older 767 J seats have held up much better). Also, the design is such that stuff can fall between the seating console and the inner wall of the aircraft; yet AA never thinks to clean it out. Take a look if you have a window seat; it's pretty gross.

Originally Posted by caburrito
Isn't BOS-JFK serviced by the 321T as well? You won't get Flagship check-in at BOS though.
Some frequencies are the 321T, but AA also uses the 737 and universally reviled ERJ-140 for that route.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by swingaling
Also, the design is such that stuff can fall between the seating console and the inner wall of the aircraft; yet AA never thinks to clean it out. Take a look if you have a window seat; it's pretty gross.
Oh. I thought that was just a secret stash of freebies!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:03 pm

Setting aside the difference in ground service at JFK vs. PHL, I'm not a huge fan of the 321T. Yes, the F seat is very good. But I've noticed that the seat is very sensitive to vibration of the floor of the aircraft. Specifically, every time someone walks past the seat, the seat vibrated noticeably. I'm not sure if I'd be able to sleep well under those circumstances. Not sure if this is specific to only the 321T examples I've flown or if it's widespread. In contrast, I've never had that issue on any widebody aircraft.

The AA 332 aircraft I've flown are really not aging well at all. The design of the J seat is fine, but they're really beat up and cleaning is a joke (the far older 767 J seats have held up much better). Also, the design is such that stuff can fall between the seating console and the inner wall of the aircraft; yet AA never thinks to clean it out. Take a look if you have a window seat; it's pretty gross.
So...OP should fly neither the A321T nor the A332? Do you have an alternative suggestion?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Pro;Ritz Carlton Ambassador;Hilton Silver: SPG Gold

I thought it was just me. When the FAs come through the aisle, you hear them pounding on the floor boards.

Some frequencies are the 321T, but AA also uses the 737 and universally reviled ERJ-140 for that route.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:27 pm

Everyone ought to have a chance to experience the transcon in true first on the 321T. my reservation got bungled and I ended up in first instead of business quite by accident, and I must say it was a real nice ride.

There arent going to be people mulling around the first class cabin. There will only be 10 of you if it's full.

I like widebodies better than narrow bodies also but this was a very special experience. Until that is I got to compare it to Cafe first to Hong Kong. Now *that* blows away anything American does, but the 321t is as close as they're going to get for their effort. A330s are much more routine feeling.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:32 pm

I'd go JFK just to avoid PHL--the only airport where GAs consider snarling to be a polite greeting.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by jordyn
So...OP should fly neither the A321T nor the A332? Do you have an alternative suggestion?
Mint is really nice.
oopsz, TheDudeAbides and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:39 pm

Always go with AA metal and not US metal if price of the ticket is not an issue, so take a321T which is far superior to US a330
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I don't know what the price difference is, but I take the A330 PHL-LAX regularly. The seat is fine, although I do take note of the possibility of stuff falling between the seat and the wall in a window seat - I had a baseball cap and phone fall down there last trip and they weren't easy to retrieve.

I fly out of PHL so I don't have a choice, but I know I wouldn't pay twice as much (which I think is the cost difference) to get the same seat. But everyone's standards are different. I recently booked domestic F on a red-eye because I needed the EQM/EQD's. You don't even get the snack basket, but they did keep my water glass filled which was nice since I would occasionally wake up and take a sip. Point being, I p***ed money away just to spend money. So if you need the spend, go for it.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by caburrito
Isn't BOS-JFK serviced by the 321T as well? You won't get Flagship check-in at BOS though.
A few flights but not all of them.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Cloudship
Seat-wise, the First class seat on the 321T is pretty close to the business class on the 330. Names aside, the seats are similar. I've never done the 321T, how much more special is the service on that flight?
That really depends on the 330. The 321T is basically the flagship domestic plane. The 330s are the "mid tier" international planes, IMO. You're getting a better plane and service on the 321T. You really don't want that legacy US Air plane but you do want that crew...
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Eh, more like pick your poison, I suppose.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by ralphs
Mint is really nice.
It is nice, but probably won't help OP earn the EQDs that they want. Also, while I'd agree that Mint is probably nicer than A321T business class, I don't think it's true for First, even just considering the in-flight experience (I'd probably call it a tie, with AA having a slightly better hard product and JetBlue having a slightly better soft product). Once you consider ground handling, though, it's really no contest at all since AA has Flagship Dining and JetBlue has none.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
It is nice, but probably won't help OP earn the EQDs that they want. Also, while I'd agree that Mint is probably nicer than A321T business class, I don't think it's true for First, even just considering the in-flight experience (I'd probably call it a tie, with AA having a slightly better hard product and JetBlue having a slightly better soft product). Once you consider ground handling, though, it's really no contest at all since AA has Flagship Dining and JetBlue has none.
But B6 flies Mint nonstop BOS-SFO and return. Mint nonstop >>>> AA 321T F with Flag lounge and dining on a connection in JFK. Mess around with connecting to keep status on AA when already flying paid F... please.
Paid premium nonstop free agency >>>> AA EXP.
Colin, Score8, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
But B6 flies Mint nonstop BOS-SFO and return. Mint nonstop >>>> AA 321T F with Flag lounge and dining on a connection in JFK. Mess around with connecting to keep status on AA when already flying paid F... please.
Paid premium nonstop free agency >>>> AA EXP.
I agree that from a pure product comparison, non-stop Mint beats connecting Flagship F. Assuming that BOS is just as convenient as the other options, Mint is definitely a good option.

As to your second point, though: many people who fly paid F sometimes also fly discount economy. It can be useful to gain status from your premium flying to make your cheap flying as pleasant a possible (or just to save money so you don't always have to pay premium fares to get treated decently).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.