Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Quality of Admirals Clubs compared to the typical domestic Priority Pass lounge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quality of Admirals Clubs compared to the typical domestic Priority Pass lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:09 am

I'm still trying to figure out what a "typical domestic Priority Pass lounge" is. In my experience, PP lounges in the U.S. fall into these very different categories:

1) Restaurants where you get a food credit.
2) Some sort of suite-thing that isn't actually a lounge.
3) Sad "lounges" which are basically rooms with soda and chips.
4) Real lounges, usually from international airlines, but which are off-limits 99% of the time due to various restrictions (terminal access, departure gate, time of day, "capacity").
5) The magic remaining few that are real lounges which you can actually access. Very rare.

With the exceptions of the few that fall in the last category , an AC would be far better than all others.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IggySD
Dont think you need to worry about the willingness of AS lounge agents to check your Admirals Club membership details by calling. Ive entered several times without a card and they have been more than happy to take the initiative to make the call. AS staff in general are an anomaly in that they are friendly.

I would argue though that if youre primarily using the lounge in the Eagle's Nest it is absolutley not worth the annual fee. Last 5 or so times Ive been there in summer and fall its been crowded, full of screaming children and loud with the TV blaring. The actual Nest itself was much more peaceful.

With the increase in price and general sadness of the Admirals Clubs I wont be renewing. Much better value out of a card that gives PP and / or Centurion access. I agree with the poster above who suggested using the travel credit to offset a Boardroom membership. Much better value as you'll still have access to AA and AS lounges plus PP which seems the primary goal.
I didn't mean that I expect to primarily use the Eagle's Nest lounge at LAX, I meant that it's the AA lounge at LAX that I'm most likely to wind up in. The Alaska Lounge is where I'm actually to mostly be at LAX.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I'd agree about the lack of a "typical" PP lounge as the ones I have been to included the AS lounges at LAX and Anchorage, The Club at LAS (T3) and also one the restaurants at PDX.

In terms of juggling the cards, I get PP membership with my Amex Platinum card and with LAX apparently going to get a Centurion lounge next year is there not some merit in the OP not keeping his Amex card to benefit from that? Admittedly it's going to be in TBIT (I think, apologies if my memory is playing tricks) so the hike to T5 or T6 may be a bit much if on a tight schedule.

The T5 lounge at LAX is very spacious. I haven't been to the T4 one as if I am there I would use the Flagship lounge on account of my OWE status. I do like the lounge at the Eagle's Nest too.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
arlflyer - you nail it. Once you hit other countries, the PP value proposition certainly ramps up. Combined with OW lounge access, power combo.

Originally Posted by arlflyer
I'm still trying to figure out what a "typical domestic Priority Pass lounge" is. In my experience, PP lounges in the U.S. fall into these very different categories:

1) Restaurants where you get a food credit.
2) Some sort of suite-thing that isn't actually a lounge.
3) Sad "lounges" which are basically rooms with soda and chips.
4) Real lounges, usually from international airlines, but which are off-limits 99% of the time due to various restrictions (terminal access, departure gate, time of day, "capacity").
5) The magic remaining few that are real lounges which you can actually access. Very rare.

With the exceptions of the few that fall in the last category , an AC would be far better than all others.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by Abidjan
arlflyer - you nail it. Once you hit other countries, the PP value proposition certainly ramps up. Combined with OW lounge access, power combo.
Bobby Vans @ T8 Priority Pass credit is a great deal IMO. I use it all the time instead of visiting the Flagship Lounge - way better meal before a late night redye to LHR than the flagship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.