Upgrading on BA with AAdvantage miles

Old Nov 11, 18, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM PLT, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Question Upgrading on BA with AAdvantage miles

I'm looking to book a trip for 5 people from AUS-LHR-LBA February 28, 2019 +/- 1 day, return MAN-LHR-AUS March 6th +/- 1 day. It's on BA metal, but I'm looking at using AAdvantage miles. Due to the astronomical fuel charge, it makes way more sense to book in WTP and upgrade to CW than to book directly using miles in CW (the latter saves about $2000 total but accrues no miles and spends more miles).

According to BA's site, there is sufficient availability in CW for upgrades / points for the dates I'm looking for (expertflyer just says "yes" for availability).

The price for WTP on BA's site is somewhat cheaper than on AA's site.

My preference is to book WTP on BA's site and upgrade using AAdvantage miles. First, is this even possible? If so, do I handle the upgrade with BA or AA? Third, if BA shows availability to upgrade with Avios, will those seats be available with AAdvantage and be guaranteed?

If that doesn't work, would booking the WTP on AA codeshare work? with the same questions 2 and 3?
Old Nov 11, 18, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You can upgrade from Premiumn Economy to Business Class on BA , however it will noit be cheap

You will need to book a BA fare in "W" class , which is the fully flexible fare class

It will likely be cheapre to book a discounted business class ticket than buy a W class ticket and then use 25,000 miles to upgrade

if you are going to book a W class fare anyway, then no issue

For example - the business class fare on those dates is $4172 inc taxes ( I class fare)
The W class Premium Economy fare is $6177 inc taxes

You will need to book with AA or ensure that there is an AA flight number in the booking in order to upgrade using AA miles

If there is award availability for business class, then should be no usue in upgradung - if there is a problem, it will be a fully refundable fare anyway

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 11, 18 at 11:20 pm
Old Nov 12, 18, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mdavies View Post
I'm looking to book a trip for 5 people from AUS-LHR-LBA February 28, 2019 +/- 1 day, return MAN-LHR-AUS March 6th +/- 1 day. It's on BA metal, but I'm looking at using AAdvantage miles. Due to the astronomical fuel charge, it makes way more sense to book in WTP and upgrade to CW than to book directly using miles in CW (the latter saves about $2000 total but accrues no miles and spends more miles).
Dedicated thread--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html
Old Nov 26, 18, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EX PLAT
Finding "U"unicorn availability???

Greetings all,
How realistic is it to find and confirm an upgrade using AA miles on BA metal? I am booked on an AA itinerary and it appears I am in the right class "W" to be able to only use 12,500 miles to upgrade to Biz on BA (think its "U" inventory). I am flying LHR-DFW on BA 193 on Dec 14. I know AA cant waitlist me and I have to keep calling in to check. Just curious if anyone has had luck with this process.

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 26, 18, 9:22 am

Programs: UA *G, AA EXP
Originally Posted by airmarc View Post
Greetings all,
How realistic is it to find and confirm an upgrade using AA miles on BA metal? I am booked on an AA itinerary and it appears I am in the right class "W" to be able to only use 12,500 miles to upgrade to Biz on BA (think its "U" inventory). I am flying LHR-DFW on BA 193 on Dec 14. I know AA cant waitlist me and I have to keep calling in to check. Just curious if anyone has had luck with this process.

Thanks in advance
First, you should be aware that AA's W is not the same as BA's W, and to upgrade with AA miles you need to be fared with BA's W, which is the full flexible fare (and usually $5000 and up).

Second, there is absolutely no waitlisting for U inventory. ExpertFlyer is your best friend here - though I have found that U inventory can often disappear very fast, so you need to be ready to act if it becomes available.
Old Nov 26, 18, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by airmarc View Post
Greetings all,

Thanks in advance
Are you booked on the BA flight number or on an AA codeshare? you need to be booked in W class on BA in order to upgrade as per https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp

Premium Economy with published World Traveller Plus fares booked in W (unrestricted fares only) on British Airways. Doesn’t apply to Excursion fares.

If you are, then indeed it is U class that you need for upgrading; I do not think that AA can waitlist for U class on BA

I have upgraded BA flights using AA miles and the process was no different to any other award booking - phoned, nade changes and ticket issued

Unless you need the flexibility of the full fare ticket, you may well find it cheaper to rebook into a dscounted business fare than use miles

Search this Thread
Search Engine: