Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Combine 2 one-way award tickets and 10% infant ticket questions

Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Hi, my travel plan is a year from now, departing on 10/09/19 and returning on 10/31/19 and it's going to be international TATL flights. I can start booking(business award travel) for 10/09/19 beginning tomorrow since I can only book up to 10/08/19 today. Say if I am able to book business award for 10/09/19 tomorrow and few weeks later I book for 10/31/19, can I combine them into one PNR?

Because I will be bringing my 11 months old daughter with me and AA will charge 10% infant ticket for TATL flights. If I can't combine the two one-way award tickets, I assume AA will charge 10% of the one way business seat price because of separate PNR and price of one way business is nearly identical to that of round trip business, simply cost too much for me. If combining is not possible and I wait until I can book award travel for 10/31/19 and book both departure and return flights together in one PNR, will AA charge 10% of the round trip or will they charge 10% of the two one-way business? My understanding is AA only offers one-way award, so I'm not sure if they price infant ticket base on PNR or base one one-way redemption. thanks for your help
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Wouldn't calling AA to ask about their policy make more sense?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by hjz77
Hi, my travel plan is a year from now, departing on 10/09/19 and returning on 10/31/19 and it's going to be international TATL flights. I can start booking(business award travel) for 10/09/19 beginning tomorrow since I can only book up to 10/08/19 today. Say if I am able to book business award for 10/09/19 tomorrow and few weeks later I book for 10/31/19, can I combine them into one PNR?
If you book the outbound as a one-way award now, you can add the return onto the same PNR a few weeks later however you will have to pay the $150 award change/redeposit fee since you'd be changing your destination. I would just book it as 2 one-ways, then call AA about the infant ticket. A good agent should be able to charge you the round trip 10% infant fare even though your award is technically booked as two one-ways.
Often1 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no reason the infant ticket has to match the parent. The infant could well travel outbound with OP and then back with some other person. It may seem illogical to an agent and require explanation, but ticketing it should not be an issue. If it does become one, simply ask for a supervisor.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:57 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Often1
There is no reason the infant ticket has to match the parent. The infant could well travel outbound with OP and then back with some other person. It may seem illogical to an agent and require explanation, but ticketing it should not be an issue. If it does become one, simply ask for a supervisor.
I will be very interested to see the followup on this one. What you say here doesn't sound right to me because I think the infant ticket needs to be in the same PNR with an adult ticket, which means that the itinerary needs to match. But I am NOT an expert on this subject, so I want to hear the result.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by estnet
Wouldn't calling AA to ask about their policy make more sense?
No, because I wouldn’t trust an AA reservations rep to provide the correct information. If the OP is not ready to ticket, the word of an AA rep on the phone about a subtle issue like this wouldn’t be worth the paper it’s printed on, IMO. Not that FlyerTalk word is enforceable, but having hopefully some experience from here before calling is precisely the point of FT. Unfortunately, I have no useful experience to offer.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by hjz77

Because I will be bringing my 11 months old daughter with me and AA will charge 10% infant ticket for TATL flights. If I can't combine the two one-way award tickets, I assume AA will charge 10% of the one way business seat price because of separate PNR and price of one way business is nearly identical to that of round trip business, simply cost too much for me. If combining is not possible and I wait until I can book award travel for 10/31/19 and book both departure and return flights together in one PNR, will AA charge 10% of the round trip or will they charge 10% of the two one-way business? My understanding is AA only offers one-way award, so I'm not sure if they price infant ticket base on PNR or base one one-way redemption. thanks for your help

I have had some pretty extensive experience with this both on all AA metal and on partner metal. First, there really isn't a concept of "round trip" when it comes to award bookings. When you book a round trip award you're really booking two one-ways under the same PNR anyway. You mentioned TATL flights and 10% charge so you're talking about an infant in arms or a lap child. So a few points about traveling with infant in arms or lap children, two of which you're probably already familiar with:
  • Infants are e-ticket eligible when travel is on both domestic and international AA flights
    • On domestic segments you'll just see "INFANT" on your boarding pass while international segments typically print a boarding pass for the infant
  • Any carriers in an Interline E-Ticketing Agreement can be e-ticketed for an infant
  • Infant tickets should never be divided from the sponsor's PNR
On American the infant should not be divided from the adult's PNR so one approach might be to ticket your one way ticket and then when you see your second one, call AA to have them "sell" the second award ticket under the same PNR. The only exception that I think of that would cause a problem would if married segment logic kicks in but in this case you're talking about two one-ways so that really shouldn't apply to your scenario.

Once you have your "whole" round trip under your PNR, then you can add your LO.

Please let us know you're results!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enpremiere
I have had some pretty extensive experience with this both on all AA metal and on partner metal. First, there really isn't a concept of "round trip" when it comes to award bookings. When you book a round trip award you're really booking two one-ways under the same PNR anyway. You mentioned TATL flights and 10% charge so you're talking about an infant in arms or a lap child. So a few points about traveling with infant in arms or lap children, two of which you're probably already familiar with:
  • Infants are e-ticket eligible when travel is on both domestic and international AA flights
    • On domestic segments you'll just see "INFANT" on your boarding pass while international segments typically print a boarding pass for the infant
  • Any carriers in an Interline E-Ticketing Agreement can be e-ticketed for an infant
  • Infant tickets should never be divided from the sponsor's PNR
On American the infant should not be divided from the adult's PNR so one approach might be to ticket your one way ticket and then when you see your second one, call AA to have them "sell" the second award ticket under the same PNR. The only exception that I think of that would cause a problem would if married segment logic kicks in but in this case you're talking about two one-ways so that really shouldn't apply to your scenario.

Once you have your "whole" round trip under your PNR, then you can add your LO.

Please let us know you're results!
Will do, thanks for the info

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.