Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage on JAL aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
AAdvantage on JAL aircraft

I'm trying to book an international return on JAL in Economy through the AA website. It will let me book but won't tell me what the fare class is or whether I can select seats in advance. I'm trying to figure out how many EQMs, EQDs, and EQSs I can earn on a RNO-LAX-NRT-PEK-NRT-LAX-RNO. The flights show with JAL flight numbers, such as JL61 and JL62. Don't want to be stuck in a middle seat across the Pacific.

Keep in mind I could not find this flight when searching on AA, but I clicked from Google Flights to "book with AA" and it allowed me to proceed all the way to the payment page.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swadian
I'm trying to book an international return on JAL in Economy through the AA website. It will let me book but won't tell me what the fare class is or whether I can select seats in advance. I'm trying to figure out how many EQMs, EQDs, and EQSs I can earn on a RNO-LAX-NRT-PEK-NRT-LAX-RNO. The flights show with JAL flight numbers, such as JL61 and JL62. Don't want to be stuck in a middle seat across the Pacific.

Keep in mind I could not find this flight when searching on AA, but I clicked from Google Flights to "book with AA" and it allowed me to proceed all the way to the payment page.
JL 61 JL62 are JL operated. Not AA
Another AA forum JL seating thread --->Seat Selection on Flights Operated by JAL / JL
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
JL 61 JL62 are JL operated. Not AA
Another AA forum JL seating thread --->Seat Selection on Flights Operated by JAL / JL
I know they're JL operated, I'm just trying to figure out how many EQMs, EQDs, and EQSs I could earn. Also, it seems that the seat selection thread may be talking about a codeshare. This is not a codeshare, this is marketed as JL 61 / JL 62.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know they're JL operated, I'm just trying to figure out how many EQMs, EQDs, and EQSs I could earn.

Also, it seems that the seat selection thread may be talking about a codeshare. This is not a codeshare, this is marketed as JL 61 / JL 62.
For earnings you need to know he fare booking class. For a JL reservation with mostly JL flight numbers/JL operated a question for the JL forum

The last post in that thread points to the JL-AA codeshare seating thread
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
I think the problem is that if you go through the google link, no fare class is displayed. However, if you go all the way to the payment page, you would see a “detailed fare rules” option. Click into that, you can see the fare basis code, the first letter of which is usually the booking code.

Alternatively, you can always purchase the ticket and cancel within 24 hours.

Make sure that you read the fine print though. Sometimes google will show you JL61/JL62, but on the AA link it will show marketed as AA84xx/AA84xx. In this case you will earn as if you are flying AA aircraft. If you are really buying JL flight numbers, I thought it may be better to buy it on JAL (and issue the ticket on the stock of JAL?)
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shd9
I think the problem is that if you go through the google link, no fare class is displayed. However, if you go all the way to the payment page, you would see a “detailed fare rules” option. Click into that, you can see the fare basis code, the first letter of which is usually the booking code.

Alternatively, you can always purchase the ticket and cancel within 24 hours.

Make sure that you read the fine print though. Sometimes google will show you JL61/JL62, but on the AA link it will show marketed as AA84xx/AA84xx. In this case you will earn as if you are flying AA aircraft. If you are really buying JL flight numbers, I thought it may be better to buy it on JAL (and issue the ticket on the stock of JAL?)
Exactly, there is no fare class displayed, and I was under the impression that I can't cancel within 24 hours if I'm booking JL flights on the AA website? There are no codeshare flight numbers; AA markets the flight as JL61 / JL62 which have been JAL's TYO-LAX services since at least 1968 when it went through HNL with a DC-8-62.

I'm trying to earn AAdvantage EQDs, so this belongs in the AAdvantage forum. Aren't earnings on JAL flights booked through AA based on mileage, rather than $$$ spent? I also cannot find "detailed fare rules".
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:52 pm

It’s is a US law that you have 24 hours to cancel if you booked your ticket in the US point of sale.
You can book and than call flight reservation to see what fare class you are going to get and what earning will be. If you don’t like the answer you can ask them to cancel. Since it’s JL flight it will earn EQD based on distance.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gateH15
It’s is a US law that you have 24 hours to cancel if you booked your ticket in the US point of sale.
You can book and than call flight reservation to see what fare class you are going to get and what earning will be. If you don’t like the answer you can ask them to cancel. Since it’s JL flight it will earn EQD based on distance.
How do JL flights calculate earnings of base miles, EQMs, and EQDs based on distance? What number do they use for distance?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA: EXP Hilton: Gold, SPG: Gold, Hyatt: Plat
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp
E55 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
This may help, well more informative than helpful, as this is based on my experience with several flights with the same scenario

1. If you are on a JL coded flight then the JL partner table on the AA website applies, which looks like the case as JL61/62. So EQDs are based on a percentage of the miles flown, and can be from zero upwards depending on fare class. As you cannot find the fare code this does not help with identifying EQDs/EQMs before booking.
2. The AA site will not show the JL fare information because the JL systems won't talk to anyone else. The AA PNR will be different from the JL PNR.
3. And selecting a seat on JL economy in advance is next to impossible no matter what the status level.
4. Even having eventually found the JL PNR and calling them to select the seat will not help (unless very lucky-ask to 'waitlist' a seat) and you will be told to wait until the seats are released online 72 hours before departure, JL helplines are anything but helpful.
5. At less than 72 hours then you will find even with the JL PNR and access to the seat map you still cannot select a seat.

On the plus side the JL 777 Y seats are way better than AA Y seats.

Good Luck

Nicc
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
This may help, well more informative than helpful, as this is based on my experience with several flights with the same scenario

1. If you are on a JL coded flight then the JL partner table on the AA website applies, which looks like the case as JL61/62. So EQDs are based on a percentage of the miles flown, and can be from zero upwards depending on fare class. As you cannot find the fare code this does not help with identifying EQDs/EQMs before booking.
2. The AA site will not show the JL fare information because the JL systems won't talk to anyone else. The AA PNR will be different from the JL PNR.
3. And selecting a seat on JL economy in advance is next to impossible no matter what the status level.
4. Even having eventually found the JL PNR and calling them to select the seat will not help (unless very lucky-ask to 'waitlist' a seat) and you will be told to wait until the seats are released online 72 hours before departure, JL helplines are anything but helpful.
5. At less than 72 hours then you will find even with the JL PNR and access to the seat map you still cannot select a seat.

On the plus side the JL 777 Y seats are way better than AA Y seats.

Good Luck

Nicc
What distance do they use to calculate the 10% or 6% from? Is it the great circle distance? The statute miles? The nautical miles?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
What distance do they use to calculate the 10% or 6% from? Is it the great circle distance? The statute miles? The nautical miles?
It's whatever the airline says it is. But tools such as gcmap.com agree within a few miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.